Good budget/beginner rack mount router?

Dajinn

Weaksauce
I currently have an ASUS RT-N56U with custom firmware(not DD-WRT though), obviously a consumer grade model, and I'm in the process of putting together a "home lab".

I'm also going to be bringing a DIY rack server up soon in a lack rack and I wanted a rack mount router to go along with it. But I'm also interested in the extended security features and other things not available in consumer routers, if possible and whatever they may be. I also wanted something a little more higher end so that I could practice on it, maybe like a cisco router or switch or something.

However, I don't really want to spend much on it. Can anyone make any recommendations? I would want it to be a relevant piece of hardware that you might find it an actual business.

very nice, the routerboard looks appealing. 285 is a bit more than I want to spend for the edgemax.

thanks guys!

How does the feature set of EdgeOS compare to something like pfSense?

How does the feature set of EdgeOS compare to something like pfSense?

EdgeOs is based on Vyatta 6.3. Almost every feature of Vyatta was ported over, plus some other items were added in.

Vyatta 6.3 Manuals:

ftp://ftp.het.net/iso/vyatta/vc6.3/docs/

Vyatta is another linux software firewall, similar to pfSense, except the EdgeRouter series has hardware packet processing as well. Feature wise comparison to pfSense I'm not sure, but I've found my EdgeRouter to be outstanding.

Back