Dell U2414H AG Coating

I'm thinking of buying a Dell U2414H mainly for console gaming (xbox one) and as an external monitor for my macbook pro.
I've read all the reviews on this model and the only thing stopping the purchase is hesitation about the AG: it should supposedly be light, middling between the old dells and a semi-glossy display, but i'm afraid of being bothered by it while gaming.
I see a lot of people happily gaming on the LG 34UM95 though, which seems to have the same level of AG.
Do you think it may be a deal breaker?
I'd appreciate feedback from U2414H owners and everyone else.
Thanks

Last edited:
it's the new light AG coating as with most recent IPS screens. Have you used any LCD display before? chances are if you have that it would be a more grainy coating than that on the U2414H or other recent IPS screens. For gaming, it's rarely a problem anyway, it's more when working with big white office documents that images can look grainy or dirty. From a gaming viewing distance and with all that dynamic content on the screen i doubt you'd ever see any issues with the coating at all

The coating on the U2414h is very nice for what it is. I've had the semi-glossy VG23AH and now own the U2414h and prefer the Dell. The coating is very light on the Dell and you don't get any reflections while still getting great colors that don't look hazy/dirty. The semi-glossy would give me reflections during the day and even at night with a light on depending on the position. I personally can't stand reflections, but others don't mind.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend the U2414h for a console monitor. The 8ms is just too high at 60hz. It's definitely playable, but I personally think it gets in the way if you like to try to be somewhat competitive. I get eye strain after 30-45 minutes of use in fast paced games that require snappy movements. On PC it becomes more acceptable if you overclock it, but you obviously can't do that for consoles. If you're just playing small arcade titles or indie games, it's fine. If you're looking at FPS games and such, look elsewhere.

it's the new light AG coating as with most recent IPS screens. Have you used any LCD display before? chances are if you have that it would be a more grainy coating than that on the U2414H or other recent IPS screens. For gaming, it's rarely a problem anyway, it's more when working with big white office documents that images can look grainy or dirty. From a gaming viewing distance and with all that dynamic content on the screen i doubt you'd ever see any issues with the coating at all

Thanks!

The coating on the U2414h is very nice for what it is. I've had the semi-glossy VG23AH and now own the U2414h and prefer the Dell. The coating is very light on the Dell and you don't get any reflections while still getting great colors that don't look hazy/dirty. The semi-glossy would give me reflections during the day and even at night with a light on depending on the position. I personally can't stand reflections, but others don't mind.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend the U2414h for a console monitor. The 8ms is just too high at 60hz. It's definitely playable, but I personally think it gets in the way if you like to try to be somewhat competitive. I get eye strain after 30-45 minutes of use in fast paced games that require snappy movements. On PC it becomes more acceptable if you overclock it, but you obviously can't do that for consoles. If you're just playing small arcade titles or indie games, it's fine. If you're looking at FPS games and such, look elsewhere.

Thanks for your input, but i've read everywhere that the U2414H is very responsive: if an IPS like this in not fast enough then the only alternative would be a TN panel, but the reviews say that the U2414H is as fast as 60 hz screens go.

What about this?

Samsung S24D390HL

Seems very comparable to the Dell monitor, but slightly better response times. Input lag is very low too. You can use the 30 off with visa checkout if you add a filler item. (I used this)

Anyone have experience with this monitor?

Thanks!

Thanks for your input, but i've read everywhere that the U2414H is very responsive: if an IPS like this in not fast enough then the only alternative would be a TN panel, but the reviews say that the U2414H is as fast as 60 hz screens go.

Can you link where you read "the U2414H is as fast as 60 hz screens go"? Cause it's not true. Off the top of my head I know Eizo has a gaming IPS display that is specd at around 3ms g2g speed. Even my older VG23AH semi-glossy IPS had a faster g2g at 5ms.

Can you link where you read "the U2414H is as fast as 60 hz screens go"? Cause it's not true. Off the top of my head I know Eizo has a gaming IPS display that is specd at around 3ms g2g speed. Even my older VG23AH semi-glossy IPS had a faster g2g at 5ms.

Look the "positives" at the end of the review.

"This monitor is responsive as 60Hz LCDs come with well-implemented pixel overdrive and low input lag"

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/

Also, from the same review:

"DIRT 3: There was a moderate level of blur, particularly when cornering, but no more than you’d see on even snappy 60Hz TN"

"Battlefield 4: zipping around in a fast vehicle such as a buggy intensified this blur, but everything looked much as it would on even the fastest 60Hz monitors. In other words; pixel responsiveness was not a limiting factor here."

Last edited:

Manufacturer response times are as accurate as dynamic contrast ratios. If you want to be helpful read and link to reviews which contain comparisons and pixel response time measurements instead of posting useless specifications.

------------

AHVA/IPS/PLS have caught up or are very close to (depending on the monitor) 60hz TN's/high hz TN's set to 60hz pixel response time wise. Obviously 120hz+ TN's are significantly faster, but they are significantly worse image quality wise.

TFT Central U2414H Pixel Response time measurements

My 23-24" IPS/PLS recommendations. I find the matte coating the 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS panels use obviously grainy/sparkly compared to semi-glossy/nearly grain free matte coatings (used by most 27" 1440p monitors and the 34" 21:9 monitors), so I recommend the glossy Dell S2415H or HP 23 Envy over the matte options. The Eizo EV2336W is PWM Free, as fast as the Foris FS2333/FS2434 (the FS2434 uses a lower quality AH-IPS panel vs. the FS2333 and EV2336W which use PLS panels), has a better stand and uses a semi-glossy/nearly grain free matte coating, but is overpriced.

Last edited:
Look the "positives" at the end of the review.

"This monitor is responsive as 60Hz LCDs come with well-implemented pixel overdrive and low input lag"

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/dell-u2414h/

Also, from the same review:

"DIRT 3: There was a moderate level of blur, particularly when cornering, but no more than you’d see on even snappy 60Hz TN"

"Battlefield 4: zipping around in a fast vehicle such as a buggy intensified this blur, but everything looked much as it would on even the fastest 60Hz monitors. In other words; pixel responsiveness was not a limiting factor here."

If it was as fast as the fastest 60hz monitors, the debate between TN and IPS wouldn't exist. Everyone would just buy an IPS. I think when the review says "as the fastest", it's in regards to the input lag testing. You can even see the it in the chart displayed:

Wg5pZBJl.jpg

The ASUS VG27 TN averages 4, where as the U24 is around 9. That's a significant gap.

Manufacturer response times are as accurate as dynamic contrast ratios. If you want to be helpful read and link to reviews which contain comparisons and pixel response time measurements instead of posting useless specifications.

Kind of like you posting your useless "sparkly" comments in every matte panel thread? If you want to see if G2G is as advertised, do your own research. Everyone has Google.

Last edited:
Kind of like you posting your useless "sparkly" comments in every matte panel thread? If you want to see if G2G is as advertised, do your own research. Everyone has Google.

http://s4.postimg.org/bkfe6kq2l/image.jpg

The U2414H is matte while the U2413+Z24i uses LG's semi-glossy/grain free matte coating. People who use monitors with both types of coating usually agree/have similar observations.

Your manufacturer gtg posts are both misleading and useless.

You mean true observations? http://s4.postimg.org/bkfe6kq2l/image.jpg

The U2414H is matte while the Z24i is semi-glossy. Most people who use monitors with both types of coating agree/have similar observations.

Your manufacturer gtg posts are both misleading and useless.

Well guess what? I've owned both matte and semi glossy and I don't see this sparkly bullshit you spout around the forum constantly. Anyways, I'm not going to get into this debate with you, I've seen how this goes with your other discussions.

------------

AHVA/IPS/PLS have caught up or are very close to (depending on the monitor) 60hz TN's/high hz TN's set to 60hz pixel response time wise. Obviously 120hz+ TN's are significantly faster, but they are significantly worse image quality wise.

TFT Central U2414H Pixel Response time measurements

My 23-24" IPS/PLS recommendations. I find the matte coating the 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS panels use obviously grainy/sparkly compared to semi-glossy/nearly grain free matte coatings (used by most 27" 1440p monitors and the 34" 21:9 monitors), so I recommend the glossy Dell S2415H or HP 23 Envy over the matte options. The Eizo EV2336W is PWM Free, as fast as the Foris FS2333/FS2434 (the FS2434 uses a lower quality AH-IPS panel vs. the FS2333 and EV2336W which use PLS panels), has a better stand and uses a semi-glossy/nearly grain free matte coating, but is overpriced.

The S2415H would be perfect, but it's not sold on Amazon.it yet (i'm from Italy).
The Eizo EV2336V is a bit too pricey (310 euro).
The HP Envy you are referring is this?
http://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B00FZJ58JE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/278-2487058-4601325

Is it comparable to the U2414H gaming wise?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Yes that is it. The 1080p AH-IPS panels are all pretty similar pixel response time wise, but the Envy has 2 overdrive settings unlike the matte Dells and outliers like the Acer H236H (uses PWM) & S236HL (no PWM) which do not have overdrive settings and suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting (the overdrive settings can be reduced by accessing the service menu, but setting is reset when the monitor is powered off). The first Dell S series monitors (not the S2415H/S2715H) also suffer from obvious overshoot ghosting

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5910...or_i_testirovanie_monitora_HP_Envy_23.html#15

I don't know of the 23.8/24" HP Envy uses PWM, but the 27 Envy, glossy Xi and BW HP's do.

Last edited:
Well guess what? I've owned both matte and semi glossy and I don't see this sparkly bullshit you spout around the forum constantly. Anyways, I'm not going to get into this debate with you, I've seen how this goes with your other discussions.

Your credibility is officially gone, and you've either got a visual impairment or terrible attention to detail. There's a reason why Dell made major changes to their coatings in response to customer feedback. You're the victim though, right? NCX is unfairly "attacking you" with obscure things like facts and rationality and objectivity.

Your credibility is officially gone, and you've either got a visual impairment or terrible attention to detail. There's a reason why Dell made major changes to their coatings in response to customer feedback. You're the victim though, right? NCX is unfairly "attacking you" with obscure things like facts and rationality and objectivity.

Yeah, I have a visual impairment because I don't see this magical "sparkle" that NCX loves to say every matte panel suffers from. My apologies!

Go read the U2414h thread, not one complaint or mention of this magical "sparkle". Matter of fact, the coating gets a lot of praise.

HUH? well I am here to say I used both Matte and Glossy and the Grainy Sparkly stuff is there, and its very easy to see especially if you have an eye for detail. Its also more pronounced the longer you look at the screen on a white page.

HUH? well I am here to say I used both Matte and Glossy and the Grainy Sparkly stuff is there, and its very easy to see especially if you have an eye for detail. Its also more pronounced the longer you look at the screen on a white page.

Congrats on bumping a two year old thread to tell me you can see sparkles and grain. :LOL:

Back