Aereo Loses Battle, Cord-Cutters May Win War

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The death knell has finally sounded for the little re-broadcaster company Aereo. It was always a David and Goliath story from the beginning, but in this case, Goliath won out. The trend setting company may have lost the decision to operate, but may have in the process opened up more streaming content for cord-cutters as a side benefit. Aereo filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week.

Aereo tried to come up with other legal arguments. None of them proved sufficient. In the end, Aereo decided that it wasn't worth pursuing the case any further.

Well, with Amazon's FREE add supported streaming service coming soon, Hulu better watch out! After all, if I've got to sit through commercials every 3-5 minutes, I'm sure as hell not paying $6 a month for it!
Just goes to show, cable tv is an antiquated service well beyond its prime and just needs to die already.

Well, with Amazon's FREE add supported streaming service coming soon, Hulu better watch out! After all, if I've got to sit through commercials every 3-5 minutes, I'm sure as hell not paying $6 a month for it!
Just goes to show, cable tv is an antiquated service well beyond its prime and just needs to die already.

Just be aware there are some negatives as well... Broadcast channels which are run by local affiliates will also be harmed due to loss of ad revenue. This also means local news will be reduced (not that affiliates are expanding local content anymore).

As streaming becomes mainstream, how the quality of programming is effected will be interesting. Right now streaming is sort of icing on the cake (or more probably a replacement for Disk sales). What happens when streaming is the primary method? How much will streaming be? Will we be paying a la carte? Will we be screwed even more by exclusive deals with streaming companies as their prices rise?

IMO we will be LUCKY if we get access to similar type content for a similar price as paid for today. Just the on-demand, back catalog options would make it a better value.

AKA soon streaming most everything will cost about $100 a mo just as it does now via cable/sat.

what kind of info have you read about it? My impression was it would be like amazon prime video, but with ads. Which typically means just offering past season episodes, not current seasons. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the free amazon streaming service won't nearly have the catalog as hulu does. The paid service already trails in comparison to netfliz and hulu. In fact the free service might be a cut down version of what amazon prime video already offers, which would mean not very much selection at all.

Treat people bad enough and they will actually pay to get away from you, internet and phone is as far as I go

I am hoping for something like Aereo to be offered. I live a decent ways from a city. My antenna struggles to get all of the local channels and I do not want to pay for cable.
I can get up to 50mbps internet, so Aereo was a great choice. I currently use Netflix, Hulu+ (hate the commercials!), and Amazon prime services.

The streaming services don't provide local TV news, Aereo provided that. That is something I like to watch. I do have excellent ATSC signal living in a large metropolitan city, and get 15+ channels. However I prefer to stream. So I use XBMC with Canada on Demand video Add-on. This gives me access to previous network news as well. The only downside I've seen so far I can't get the live current stream. But that's ok, I'm not paying for it. If I want at time of broadcast I have the hardware and no how to setup PVR.

Just be aware there are some negatives as well... Broadcast channels which are run by local affiliates will also be harmed due to loss of ad revenue. This also means local news will be reduced (not that affiliates are expanding local content anymore).

There may be negatives, but the loss of local news is not one of them. Modern local news has no more journalistic integrity than the modern national news.

I am hoping for something like Aereo to be offered. I live a decent ways from a city. My antenna struggles to get all of the local channels and I do not want to pay for cable.
I can get up to 50mbps internet, so Aereo was a great choice. I currently use Netflix, Hulu+ (hate the commercials!), and Amazon prime services.

Best you will be able to do then is abc.com, nbc.com, cbs.com...

With the way this played out nobody will be trying that again as something like Aereo can't work unless they actually treat themselves like what they actually are, a tv service. In which case they are not able to price themselves where people would want to use the service.

what kind of info have you read about it? My impression was it would be like amazon prime video, but with ads. Which typically means just offering past season episodes, not current seasons. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the free amazon streaming service won't nearly have the catalog as hulu does. The paid service already trails in comparison to netfliz and hulu. In fact the free service might be a cut down version of what amazon prime video already offers, which would mean not very much selection at all.

Only info I've heard was its coming.
And it can't get here fast enough.
And Fire TV and Stick need HBO Go support.

Back