Google News Has A "Suggested For You" Section

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Google has decided to add a "suggested for you" section to Google news. What do you think?

Google News now has a "Suggested for you" section with stories likely to match your interests. See my section today. The goal is to surface narrow and local topics specific to you. You can tweak by saying 'Not interested' until it's more to your liking. The topics and stories shown here will change with the news, to keep things fresh and serendipitous. Nice work Google News team!

Suggested content is modern spam. It's insulting to think that companies would know what I actually want.

The worst is when they suggest people you don't even fucking know to follow or be friends with.

Suggested content is modern spam. It's insulting to think that companies would know what I actually want.

The worst is when they suggest people you don't even fucking know to follow or be friends with.

Exactly. I hate targeted advertising as all it does is fill every website I visit with the same item I looked at a week ago. If I didn't buy it on day one, I don't want it on day 2 - 20. Youtube recommended congests my front page. I don't even look at the videos from the people I really want to watch. I get so annoyed at the extensive recommended and watch this again section that I just leave.

There really needs to be an edit (even if it's only for a minute after posting).

Google News said:
We're sorry, we were unable to find any content for this section.

Suggestions:

Try adding a different section from the custom news sections directory.
Try creating another section.

Yes, I absolutely want GOOGLE to be filtering and routing my news, thank you!!!!

Google knows you better than you know you and Google knows that the people it suggest have similar interests based on a comparisons of the data it mines from each of your browsing habits, visited sites, GPS locations, preferred Android apps, text searches of your e-mail, and any other interlinked data. Google's friend suggestions are foolproof. You just don't know it yet.

I see two problems with this:

1. Google filters news to suit your taste a la Fox News: telling you only what you want to hear and perpetuating the echo chamber so many people live in
2. Google subtly filters the news to suit its own agenda

Sorry to break out my tin foil hat, but I just don't trust a company that's raison d'etre is to spy on its users.

Google knows you better than you know you and Google knows that the people it suggest have similar interests based on a comparisons of the data it mines from each of your browsing habits, visited sites, GPS locations, preferred Android apps, text searches of your e-mail, and any other interlinked data. Google's friend suggestions are foolproof. You just don't know it yet.

Google would make the ultimate dating service.

Not only does it know what music you like (Google Music), what books you read (Google Books), what your political leanings are (Google News), and what you do for a living (Google Maps), it also knows what your sexual orientation and favorite positions are (Google Image Search).

Google knows you better than any dating coach ever will

Back