ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Poseidon GTX 980

HardOCP News

[H] News
ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) today announced Poseidon GTX 980 with DirectCU H2O, a new graphics card with an exclusive hybrid thermal solution that enables extremely efficient cooling by either air or water. The new card is powered by the latest NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 980 graphics-processing unit (GPU). With DirectCU H2O on board offering users the unique ability to cool either by air or water, ROG Poseidon GTX 980 achieves running temperatures that are up to 27°C lower than reference designs — that’s up to 2X cooler for gaming performance that’s up to 10% faster in Watch Dogs™ and 7% faster in Battlefield 4™.

ROG Poseidon GTX 980 is also loaded with ROG technologies and innovations, including dual dust-proof fans for increased card longevity, die-cast thermal armor for improved cooling in the crucial MOSFET area, Digi+ voltage-regulation modules (VRMs) with black metallic capacitors for incredible stability and up to a 5X-longer lifespan than reference. ROG Poseidon GTX 980 comes equipped with three native DisplayPort connections that support NVIDIA G-SYNC™ surround to let gamers combine up to 3 G-SYNC monitors and create an incredibly immersive gaming environment. The new card also comes with GPU Tweak, an easy-to-use software utility that squeezes maximum performance from the GPUs — real-time graphics tuning and live streaming has never been this easy.

2X Cooler? Huh, is 27°C twice as cool as 54°C?

Ha...I'm just being a smartass. I really don't give a damn.

I actually kind of like it. I do my own watercooling, but this would save a good bit if you made the transition and didn't have to buy waterblocks. It also helps with resale/re-purposing, as I know I don't always keep the air coolers around.

I keep seeing articles saying that this does Air OR Water. From what I can tell it can do both Simultaneously. What is the price tag on this card? Doesn't seem like a bad choice for someone wanting to go the watercooling route.

I keep seeing articles saying that this does Air OR Water. From what I can tell it can do both Simultaneously. What is the price tag on this card? Doesn't seem like a bad choice for someone wanting to go the watercooling route.

I would think that the presence of both would degrade the performance of the other, sort of like an all season tire.

I'm due.

I'm wondering how this air-cooler/block compares to a purpose-built water block on a clock-for-clock basis...

Totally dig this solution. Loved the last interation when they put it on the gtx 780 but I wished they had done a 290x version, too. Now I'm tempted to change my step up to gtx 970s abd buy these poseidons out of pocket.

I actually kind of like it. I do my own watercooling, but this would save a good bit if you made the transition and didn't have to buy waterblocks. It also helps with resale/re-purposing, as I know I don't always keep the air coolers around.

As someone who is deciding on components for a new rig and who is planning on putting together my first custom loop I agree completely.

I'll be interesting in seeing what sort of price this goes for, as well as seeing it reviewed and tested, especially comparing it to similar cards that are water cooled and regular air cooled.

I would think that the presence of both would degrade the performance of the other, sort of like an all season tire.

Why? I may be misunderstanding how this works, but it seems like you're getting a GPU block + additional rad space with this set up.

As someone who is deciding on components for a new rig and who is planning on putting together my first custom loop I agree completely.

I'll be interesting in seeing what sort of price this goes for, as well as seeing it reviewed and tested, especially comparing it to similar cards that are water cooled and regular air cooled.

You should check out the hardocp article on the last poseidon card. The cooling solution was really very effective. They managed a 1300 mhz oc on that gtx 780 which is roughly what custom loop users were getting out if their 780s anyway.

You should check out the hardocp article on the last poseidon card. The cooling solution was really very effective. They managed a 1300 mhz oc on that gtx 780 which is roughly what custom loop users were getting out if their 780s anyway.
Yeah, they got about the same overclock that I get on my 780 DCUII with a full custom loop, but their temps are about 10C higher at load. Though, they were using an ultra shitty Koolance aluminum 2x120 radiator, and I've got a much better setup lol.

that price is the usd vs nz/au dollar exchange value. video cards sold in new zealand/australia tend to go $200-300 more than what we would pay before you factor in exchange rate. the last poseidon card went for a $200 premium over the going price of a dcu II gtx 780. i expect that trend to continue when this product comes state side.

Back