Brands Are Wasting Time And Money On Facebook And Twitter

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure why it took a study to figure this out, most of us have known this for years.

The crux of the research suggests that brands are wasting their time, effort, and money on Facebook and Twitter to diminishing returns. A study conducted by the firm from earlier this year found that posts from top brands on Twitter and Facebook reach just 2% of their followers. Engagement is even more measly: A mere 0.07% of followers actually interact with those posts.

LoL, companies are far more interested in seeing that that fb logo on their boxes, not wasting time and money interacting with customers.

while i'm in the other 99.93%....facebook has about 500M users by last count I saw. 2% ads reaching would be 10M, and for the .07% percent of people that interact, that is still 350K. What percent of people watch a superbowl ad and then head over to their car dealership or go out an buy beer because of it? Numbers about the same I would hazard a guess.

while i'm in the other 99.93%....facebook has about 500M users by last count I saw. 2% ads reaching would be 10M, and for the .07% percent of people that interact, that is still 350K. What percent of people watch a superbowl ad and then head over to their car dealership or go out an buy beer because of it? Numbers about the same I would hazard a guess.

2% and .07% of THEIR followers. not total facebook users. its a lot different (less).

As a consumer the only way to get Microsoft to fix my problem was to call em out on Facebook... Then they could fix it

Yup. Publicly shaming and embarrassing companies is the one thing their Facebook and Twitter pages are good for.

email news letter is one thing... Facebook spam I would think to be another less useful thing.

I have preference for Samsung HDD, I really don't give a ratz ass what Samsung HDD are doing everyday.

Too many marketing departments seem to think that everyone must use Facebook.

I can't tell you how many times I've received an email or seen a link for something I would have wanted, only to see that I have to "like" them on Facebook to get the deal.

Not going to happen, so I end up taking my business elsewhere. They don't realize how much business they end up losing because of their Facebook centric marketing.

Just give me a link to the coupon on your web site, or let me sigh up for emailed deals. (and if you have email deals do not send me a dozen spam messages every week, and maybe one coupon deal every 3 months).

I can tell you I absolutely DETEST when I need help and all I can find is "Come visit us on Twitter"
Uh, I don't have an account and I don't want to make one just to get help. If you going to need me to private message you then just give me an email address to use.

It's all about the SEO. Even if they don't directly reach the customers, they reach the search engines, who in turn reach the customers. I am not sure of the actual effect of Social media SEO currently, but there was a time when it really benefited organic rankings.

A lot of places aren't correctly identifying their target audience. They think facebook is a thing for everyone, then go and hire some of these 'Social Media Presence' consultants who charge absurd fees, and put up a facebook page and then expect the money to be rolling in.

In the D.C. area, a lot of non-profits do this to raise awareness and funds and it's incredibly stupid. Facebook's bottom-feeding audience is not going to contribute to your donation campaigns, and never in the amounts that you need. They pay people 6 figure salaries for social media promotion on tweeter and youtube, and get ZERO returns, but they're so clueless and bureaucratic that they hear a buzzword and think that that's what they need to be on.

Is it just me or do most people in marketing just make shit up to validate their worth.

Forrester predicts that “branded communities” are going to be the next big thing in 2015, citing the fact that Sony's GreatnessAwaits.com microsite for the PlayStation 4 attracted 4.5 million visits.

You mean that thing that has been around since the beginning of the internet (some would argue the reason www was created to begin with), and that never went away, and that is the bedrock of all niche interests.....you mean that thing? Right. The "next" big thing. I didn't know the new term was "microsites". Hey [H] congrats, you're a microsite. :rolleyes:

Back