AMD Announces Major Technology Partnerships at Future of Compute Event

HardOCP News

[H] News
​AMD today at its Future of Compute event announced the introduction of the consumer electronic industry’s first-ever ultra high-definition (UHD) monitors to feature its innovative, open-standards based FreeSync technology. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., plans to launch the screen synching technology around the world in March 2015, starting with the Samsung UD590 (23.6-inch and 28-inch models) and UE850 (23.6-inch, 27-inch and 31.5-inch models), and eventually across all of Samsung’s UHD lineups. FreeSync will enable dynamic refresh rates synchronized to the frame rate of AMD Radeon™ graphics cards and APUs to maximally reduce input latency and reduce or fully eliminate visual defects during gaming and video playback.​

Samsung! That's what's in the Korean 1440p and Apple monitors right? Schmexy!

Yes, new monitor+GPU coming up for me. Very curious to experience Freesync + Mantle combination!

Steve, I like the Capcom announcement better! Mantle is being integrated into the Capcom Panta Rhei engine that powers all next gen consoles and PC titles. Capcom releasing Mantle enabled titles is a pretty big thing for industry adoption of Mantle as a whole.

awesome my special uchiha eyes always see black screen tearing, split screens, black squares etc. my eyes must be at a different fps than the norm.

its awesome to see AMD teaming up with some power players. honestly, I think Samsung will buy amd

Samsung! That's what's in the Korean 1440p and Apple monitors right? Schmexy!

There is a difference between display panels and a monitor itself.

Not all the korean 1440p monitors use the same panel.

The new 5k imac teardown showed it was using a LG panel. I believe the ACD monitors are LG as well. Apple's mobile products actually use multiple suppliers for the displays, Samsung is one of them.

its awesome to see AMD teaming up with some power players. honestly, I think Samsung will buy amd

The problem with any AMD purchase is the x86 license is supposedly non-transferable.

There is a difference between display panels and a monitor itself.

Not all the korean 1440p monitors use the same panel.

The new 5k imac teardown showed it was using a LG panel. I believe the ACD monitors are LG as well. Apple's mobile products actually use multiple suppliers for the displays, Samsung is one of them.

The problem with any AMD purchase is the x86 license is supposedly non-transferable.

Okay, so they invest so much that they basically own a majority of the company. Then they can tell AMD what to do, and it keeps its x86 license. Wunderbar

Damn RIP GSYNC. So glad I didn't buy new monitors yet, this is great news

Okay, so they invest so much that they basically own a majority of the company. Then they can tell AMD what to do, and it keeps its x86 license. Wunderbar

That would essentially be the same thing and clauses are likely in place to prevent that.

Buying a company doesn't necessarily mean acquiring 100% ownership but just a majority ownership.

Damn RIP GSYNC. So glad I didn't buy new monitors yet, this is great news

Seems Nvidia really had egg on their face when it was revealed this sync feature was already a part of the VESA standard. NOT a feature they developed in house.

Seems Nvidia really had egg on their face when it was revealed this sync feature was already a part of the VESA standard. NOT a feature they developed in house.

Nvidia, bringing new technology to the masses since, well, hopefully soon.

Is FreeSync the thing that is based around the new Display Port standard? Or do I have that entirely confused and the new DP has nothing to do with this technology? For some reason I thought there was a DP solution, FreeSync and G-Sync.

Is FreeSync the thing that is based around the new Display Port standard? Or do I have that entirely confused and the new DP has nothing to do with this technology? For some reason I thought there was a DP solution, FreeSync and G-Sync.

FreeSync requires DP1.2a IIRC.

It also requires that the monitor have the adaptive sync enabled. Not all monitors have it enabled by default because from what I remember adaptive sync was originally a power saving feature mainly for tablets and laptops which they found another use for. Not many desktop monitors will have power saving features originally meant for laptops enabled.

I am sure people with find ways to mod firmwares to enable this support in "normal" monitors as well as probably MFR's releasing official firmwares to support it.

FreeSync requires DP1.2a IIRC.

It also requires that the monitor have the adaptive sync enabled. Not all monitors have it enabled by default because from what I remember adaptive sync was originally a power saving feature mainly for tablets and laptops which they found another use for. Not many desktop monitors will have power saving features originally meant for laptops enabled.

I am sure people with find ways to mod firmwares to enable this support in "normal" monitors as well as probably MFR's releasing official firmwares to support it.

more info:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8008/...andard-variable-refresh-monitors-move-forward

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-not-going-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync.html

Back