Woman Sues Cox After Tripping Over Coax

HardOCP News

[H] News
A pregnant woman is suing Cox after tripping over a cable? Soooo many Cox jokes, so little time.

A Louisiana woman is suing Cox Communications because she tripped over a coaxial cable left draped across her mothers' yard. The plaintiff claims Cox repeatedly failed to bury the cable despite repeated requests, and is now suing for unspecified damages after the pregnant woman "injured her arm, right side and received soreness and other bodily injuries" in the incident.

So she was FULLY aware from repeated requests that the cable was there, and yet still tripped on it.

They should reach a settlement where they pay for her medical bills, provided she agrees to an abortion and hysterectomy to ensure she doesn't contaminate the gene pool with her idiocy.

After seeing Louisiana, pregnant, and sue in the same story, I had a hunch that she'd be...

So she was FULLY aware from repeated requests that the cable was there, and yet still tripped on it.

They should reach a settlement where they pay for her medical bills, provided she agrees to an abortion and hysterectomy to ensure she doesn't contaminate the gene pool with her idiocy.

You need to rethink your life.

There's this one person I work with that recently switched from DSL to Comcast and they like did pretty much the same thing where they installed the service and then just left the cable laying in the yard. It went through their neighbor's yard too and the neighbor got it caught somehow in his lawn mower at some point.

Melancon contends that Cox Communications installed services and accompanying wires at her mother’s home located at 2041 Carver Drive in Marrero on June 7, 2013 and left wires exposed in the backyard, yet promised to bury them at a later date. The plaintiff asserts that the wires were not buried and that on Aug. 26, 2013, when she was eight months pregnant, she tripped and fell over a large wired that had been left unburied. Melancon claims that Cox Communications had already been informed that the wire had not been buried and the next day another request was put in to bury the wire and on Aug. 29, 2013 the wire was buried.
Anything longer than 4 weeks is pretty much asking for customer service woes. 8 Months pregnant they will settle out of court and add a gag order on the settlement, a jury would easily award the woman money due to Cox's negligence.

Grow up, really.

I don't blame the lady, cox should bury that crap. Its crazy hard to get a cable company to bury their lines. Comcast for what ever reason decided to put a new line to our house with out asking, they did this in the middle of winter and said they would come back in the spring to bury it. Come June no one has come back to bury it. I call comcast and they say what ever department that handles it will call me back with in 1 hour to make an appointment to bury it. No one calls that day. I call back the next day, I get the same response since apparently they can't just transfer me to the department that schedules line burials. Again no one calls me. I call back the 3rd day ask for a manager/supervisor. She assures me someone will call me with in an hour to set up an appointment. Still no one calls. 4th day I call back and I'm just pissed at that point because its ridiculous, I just want them to bury the line that I didn't ask to be changed, same response someone will call me because they have no way to transfer me to that department. Still no one calls.

Then 8 am the next day some dudes show up and just start digging up our yard. No appointment made, I worked as a call center rep from home and had to have internet at the time. I was pissed they didn't make an appointment and just showed up.

If this lady tried to get them them to bury it and they wouldn't then they are responsible for any damage caused. Accidents happen and maybe this lady made a mistake and tripped over the cord, but cox wouldn't bury it so they should have to pay her bills.

Saying the lady is stupid or its her fault is dumb, maybe if she tripped on it 10 min after they laid it down you would have a point but you can't watch out for other peoples crap they leave in your yard forever. If I dumped a bunch of nails on your floor and left them there for months and you repeated asked me to pick them up and one day you forget where they all are and stepped on one of them, does that make you stupid and your fault? No, I should have cleaned them up when you asked.

You ever tried to mow your lawn or do yard work when you have a big long cable running across your yard? You can't be 100% perfectly careful all the time, that's why they bury cables so stuff like this doesn't happen. Cables are not just run across the ground because it may not be safe for us like power lines, or we might damage the cable.

When a big company says jump, YOU ask how high...

Why is this even news? I mean honestly...

Is Cox at fault for not burying the cable in a timely manner? Yes and as such some recompense is due.

Is This lady at fault for being either terminally stupid or clearly looking to milk a company? Yes and she isn't owed a damn thing other than some inconvenience for Cox not burying the cable in a timely manner. Owed medical and more? Definitely not, that is caused by her own willful negligence and or stupidity. You don't simply "forget" about a cable in the yard and if it is sticking out enough to trip, open your damn eyes.

This kind of thing makes me wish that Darwin would speed up the cleanup process. I hope she not only gets nothing out of Cox but has to pay court costs, hers and theirs, for making such a bullshit claim.

When a big company says jump, YOU ask how high...
I'm not saying that she doesn't have the right to be pissed as a customer, but to go full retard and trip on something you have complained about repeatedly? These are the people that used to be the first to be eaten by sabertooths or wander into a tar pit and what not so we didn't have to deal with them. You know she's going to sue for the value of her house for pain and suffering.

Why is this even news? I mean honestly...

Is Cox at fault for not burying the cable in a timely manner? Yes and as such some recompense is due.

Is This lady at fault for being either terminally stupid or clearly looking to milk a company? Yes and she isn't owed a damn thing other than some inconvenience for Cox not burying the cable in a timely manner. Owed medical and more? Definitely not, that is caused by her own willful negligence and or stupidity. You don't simply "forget" about a cable in the yard and if it is sticking out enough to trip, open your damn eyes.

So you are telling me you never hit your head on anything that you knew was already there or tripped over something like a door entry that you had walked through 100 times before? If you say you haven't then I am calling you a liar. The difference here is Cox put an obstacle that shouldn't have been in the yard and that she asked them to remove. Doesn't really matter if she was stupid or not because she actively tried to get them to remove it and they wouldn't. Cox by doing so created an unsafe situation. When you are pregnant you aren't as agile as someone who isn't, maybe she thought she could step over it but didn't make it. Cox still is at fault here, they should have buried the line when asked, they created a safety hazard.

If cables were meant to be strewn across the ground then they would be. But guess what? They aren't, they are buried to protect us and to protect the cable.

How the hell do you actually trip over a tiny coax cable in your yard? Charter left our cable out there so long it had to be replaced 3 times from getting run over in the driveway. It took about 6 months before it was buried.

So you are telling me you never hit your head on anything that you knew was already there or tripped over something like a door entry that you had walked through 100 times before? If you say you haven't then I am calling you a liar. The difference here is Cox put an obstacle that shouldn't have been in the yard and that she asked them to remove. Doesn't really matter if she was stupid or not because she actively tried to get them to remove it and they wouldn't. Cox by doing so created an unsafe situation. When you are pregnant you aren't as agile as someone who isn't, maybe she thought she could step over it but didn't make it. Cox still is at fault here, they should have buried the line when asked, they created a safety hazard.

If cables were meant to be strewn across the ground then they would be. But guess what? They aren't, they are buried to protect us and to protect the cable.

Sure I have, lots of times. In fact, I've tripped over things left by a company "Creating a safety hazard" as you put it. What have I never done? Never once entertained the notion of suing someone because I was stupid and not paying close enough attention. That alone puts her square in "gold digging" territory and I cannot abide low lives like that. As for the pregnant excuse, my wife has had two kids and she was never uncoordinated enough to hurt herself over a coax cable.

She should be pissed about it not being buried. But, to me it sounds like she was going "to show them". They won't bury it, well look what I'm gonna do. If it's been unburied and they made a stink about it before, they definitely know it's there. Tripping over it sounds like it was intentional. Pay for the inconvenience of not burying it for so long (credit on the bill for $25), but screw the medical stuff...

2 months earlier she sued her ex-bf for a similar reason which resulted in her getting pregnant.

Seriously, I hope the cox goes down... we don't need more accidents like this.

If a cable company left a cable unburied in my yard, it would have to be replaced at least every 2 weeks if not more.

And I would be calling them every single day.. and if they didn't call back when they said they were, I would give them 5 extra minutes and then call them back again.

This would repeat until they either decided to give me service for free or until they actually sent somebody out.

I have had to deal with companies that absolutely refuse to follow through with what they said they would do. I don't put up with it anymore.

A company leaving work unfinished (safety hazard) for that long deserves whatever lawsuits they have brought against them.

Not to mention that this cable was at her MOTHER's house, not hers. Just because she knew this was an issue doesn't mean she had an exact bead on the location, which might have even been concealed by grass or something.

I had a friend who couldn't get Charter to bury a cable and it went on for months. The cable ran all the way across her property, and they didn't get give a shit until she started cutting it before she mowed the lawn.

Not to mention that this cable was at her MOTHER's house, not hers. Just because she knew this was an issue doesn't mean she had an exact bead on the location, which might have even been concealed by grass or something.

I had a friend who couldn't get Charter to bury a cable and it went on for months. The cable ran all the way across her property, and they didn't get give a shit until she started cutting it before she mowed the lawn.
Again how do you actually trip over a cable like that? Its laying flat on the ground is not even 1 cm high. How could you possible get your foot under that and how would it have enough tension to send you straight to the ground even if that first part was possible? Does not even seem logical.

Again how do you actually trip over a cable like that? Its laying flat on the ground is not even 1 cm high. How could you possible get your foot under that and how would it have enough tension to send you straight to the ground even if that first part was possible? Does not even seem logical.

You don't need to get your foot under it, just catch a toe.. catch a flip-flop.. whatever. Also, pregnant isn't synonymous with nimble.

You don't need to get your foot under it, just catch a toe.. catch a flip-flop.. whatever. Also, pregnant isn't synonymous with nimble.
Well I still dont buy it. Lol I just put a coax cable across the floor and I cant even make make myself trip over on purpose.

While I think she's asking for a bit much, everyone saying she should have avoided it should try being 8 months pregnant. Mile in their shoes and all that.

While I think she's asking for a bit much, everyone saying she should have avoided it should try being 8 months pregnant. Mile in their shoes and all that.
I probably weigh at least 50 pounds more than her and I sure as hell dont trip over a coax cable...

Easy. It's not a stretched line across the yard. They left a ton of cable so that it could be installed at the street, buried, and run up the side of my house. There was at least 15ft more than they needed. Mediacom ran a new line to my house and they did not bury it for 90 days...Mediacom doesn't bury their own cables so they contract it out. Probably a lot do this. They kept stating it was up to the contracting company to fix it. I told them it gets cut on Friday when I mow. It was buried on Thursday. Should've called the guy that (had) a dog.;)

Easy. It's not a stretched line across the yard. They left a ton of cable so that it could be installed at the street, buried, and run up the side of my house. There was at least 15ft more than they needed. Mediacom ran a new line to my house and they did not bury it for 90 days...Mediacom doesn't bury their own cables so they contract it out. Probably a lot do this. They kept stating it was up to the contracting company to fix it. I told them it gets cut on Friday when I mow. It was buried on Thursday. Should've called the guy that (had) a dog.;)
Um yes I know its not stretched which was my point. Hell we played football in the yard all during the fall and winter with the cable going across the yard. I walked across it numerous times every day and again see no way in hell my foot could get caught on it and make me trip.

Is this what we've come to? A world where adults don't take any responsibility for their own actions at all?

Sure I have, lots of times. In fact, I've tripped over things left by a company "Creating a safety hazard" as you put it. What have I never done? Never once entertained the notion of suing someone because I was stupid and not paying close enough attention. That alone puts her square in "gold digging" territory and I cannot abide low lives like that. As for the pregnant excuse, my wife has had two kids and she was never uncoordinated enough to hurt herself over a coax cable.

Were you injured in any way that required medical attention from these items the companies left? Did you ask the companies to remove them? If not then you have no grounds to stand on, if so you should ask to be compensated for your bills. Article said undisclosed amount, you have no idea if shes gold digging, you just assume that and that shes a bad person. Was your wife ever in a situation where she had coax cables in her way for months at a time to try to avoid? I highly doubt it. You are just making excuses to call this person a bad person and defend a POS cable company who doesn't give a crap about anyone.

People keep saying that people need to be held responsible for their actions, well so do corporations.

The link is broken here but I do remember reading this on another forum a few days ago. I feel 10 weeks during the summer was an adequate amount of time for Cox to have made sure the subcontractors had buried the line, especially after multiple complaints. She has also named other companies as defendants but I'm not completely sure what each of their roles were. And somebody called to complain again the day after she fell and it was buried two days later.

That said, the guys who have done all the lines I needed were always great about making sure to keep as much off the ground as possible. I did nearly trip over the same part on a few different occasions because it ran right in front of my gate that I keep the trash can behind and there was no way around doing it that way. Cables with black shielding is very hard to see at night. The worst was probably the temporary electric line I had to have ran this past summer. Those cables are incredibly bulky.

Heck, she could have "tripped" on purpose, knowing there was a good chance she'd get a decent sized payout. :p

Wow, some of you guys lol. :rolleyes:

Any contractor that does a shitty job and does not bother to bury a cable or make sure it's secure should be called out. How many of you are married? Do you have children? Leaving a cable out like that can be pretty dangerous, especially so for a married woman or an elderly person.

If she made several attempts to get them to correct the issue but they didn't, and she fell down and injured herself then you're damn right Cox is going to have to answer to that in court. It doesn't matter whether she did it on purpose or not -- the company was negligent in their duty to ensure safety.

Those of you making light of this and even blaming her are an embarrassment.

Goddamnit I wish I could edit my post. I meant a PREGNANT woman, not a married one lol

Back