NVIDIA Wins $18M DOE Grant for Exascale Computing Research

HardOCP News

[H] News
Developing exascale computing capabilities is the key to next-generation scientific research, national security and ensuring economic competitiveness. That’s why I’m thrilled that NVIDIA has received an $18 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy, under its “FastFoward 2” program, to accelerate the development of next-generation supercomputers. With our expertise in high performance computing, we’ll build on our work in the original FastForward program, bringing a strong focus on energy efficiency, programmability and resilience. NVIDIA has a long record of winning research awards that reflect our pioneering work. These awards ensure that we can help address some of the world’s greatest scientific challenges through the development of powerful computing systems. The latest award, part of $100 million in funding given to a handful of technology companies, is tied to the DOE’s plan for driving innovative research and development essential to delivering next-generation capabilities that are affordable and energy efficient.

Haha... AMD was awarded $32 million... Owned :)

Then again...

The DoE is building 2 more supercomputers, and it will be NVIDIA and IBM powering them.

The two supercomputers will be Summit and Sierra. At a combined price tag of $325 million, the supercomputers will be built by IBM for Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory respectively. They will be the successors to the laboratories respective current supercomputers, Titan and Sequoia.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8727/nvidia-ibm-supercomputers

So nVidia is moving to 3d stacked memory? That's all I see in AMD's subforum here... I wasn't aware (but did assume they would eventually) move to 3d memory.

Back