Congratulations Ubisoft, You're The New EA

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ubisoft is being publicly flogged today over the many problems with Assassin’s Creed Unity.

But this has been an especially bad year for Ubisoft, and it’s only gotten worse as of yesterday. Whereas EA is usually cast as a corporate industry villain, Ubisoft isn’t normally quite as persecuted. Before this, their most memorable controversies involved overly-intrusive DRM, but now? They’re being painted as the face of everything wrong with modern gaming, from deceptive marketing to recycled concepts to crass monetization.

Good. It's about time.

Around here at least they've been "the new EA" for probably a good 2-3 years. I hope there's lots of noise, blowback, and fallout.

The last thing Ubi needs to do is have Yves and some of those other idiots come out and shoot their mouths off with nonsense. Their PR couldn't be more of a liability.

i've played all the ACs up to this one, not this time

Ubisoft has been on my personal shit-list since the original AC always-online DRM scheme, with only FC3 getting into my library via a $5 Steam sale.

I could personally care less if we don't ever see another AC game, it's the new CoD.

Wow you guys are just now realizing this? The number of game companies that I can respect is quickly dwindling as EA has been the example so many companies now emulate. Activision, Vivendi, Ubisoft, and EA are the same.

Wow you guys are just now realizing this? The number of game companies that I can respect is quickly dwindling as EA has been the example so many companies now emulate. Activision, Vivendi, Ubisoft, and EA are the same.

QFT. :)

good. i used to buy games day-one, but the past two years i completely stopped this habit and only buy the "complete" editions with all dlc and patches when it's in the bargain bin. and then publishers blame piracy for bad sales. i also rarely buy games at all. i'm quite happy with all the old stuff i already have that doesn't come with "press x to pay your respects", "omg screen turning red, get cover!" and cutscenes every three minutes.

good. i used to buy games day-one, but the past two years i completely stopped this habit and only buy the "complete" editions with all dlc and patches when it's in the bargain bin. and then publishers blame piracy for bad sales. i also rarely buy games at all. i'm quite happy with all the old stuff i already have that doesn't come with "press x to pay your respects", "omg screen turning red, get cover!" and cutscenes every three minutes.

I couldn't agree with you more.

With the introduciton of sites like GoG, I've been mostly replaying the classics. Most recently I've gotten back into X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Alpha Centauri (so much better than Civ 5: Beyond Earth it's embarassing!).

Apparently the console versions of AC Unity run like ass too, with huge framerate dips. I think they're finally getting called out on it because for once console gamers are seeing the kind of shitty optimization we've been seeing from them on the PC side for years.

The always-on DRM is my biggest complaint with Ubisoft, but it is not a problem that is unique to them. Rockstar started in with their Social Club, EA uses Origin and Steam is only slightly better because they still allow the publisher's DRM on top of their own system. Overall, the sacrifices are worth it though, since digital distribution has made the games significantly more affordable, at least if you wait until a month or so after the release.

I would prefer that they come up with some kind of middle-ground in all of this, but I can also accept things as they are. Apparently in this case, that includes accepting Ubisoft as the new EA.

Actually Trion is the worst game company on the planet.

They just tanked Archeage after two months, by collapsing the in game economy with its pay marketplace items.

Glad Ubisoft is getting called out. The reason they said the industry should drop the 60fps standard is because they knew Unity was going to run like crap. For people with 120-144hz monitors, this would be a travesty.

It sucks, too, because of The Division. I want to get that game, but Ubi's track record is shit the past few years. I hope they can pull it off and make it an amazing game, even if they delay it again.

Game publishers have gone way downhill the past decade. Most of them, anyway.

To be fair, despite the performance issues, the game looks amazing

But, yes, Ubisoft is run by business majors, no actual gamers

It sucks, too, because of The Division. I want to get that game, but Ubi's track record is shit the past few years. I hope they can pull it off and make it an amazing game, even if they delay it again.

Yeah, I hope they don't mess up Far Cry 4. I'm looking forward to it since I really loved Far Cry 3.

BUT
BUT
BUT
IF YOU DONT BUY DAY ONE WITH ALL TGE DLC YOU'RE SCREWING THE COMPANIES AND THEY'LL STOP MAKING GAMES!!!!

Just kidding.
Outside of Elder Scrolls and Borderlands I don't pre-order crap anymore OR buy the first few months.

The funny thing is, Nintendo gets a lot of crap for not having many releases from these shit companies but is that really a bad thing? I mean Ubi literally doesn't have a decent IP left that hasn't been run into the ground. Activision really only has CoD left (taking Blizzard games out of the equation since they are not on any console) after burying GH and THPS with their annualized release schedule. EA has mediocre annualized sports titles (with the exception of FIFA but still, if you played one you played them all) that essentially set the standard for this type of crap. Every time we get a "AAA" (in budget only) release from these companies, time and time again we are severely disappointed. I think companies like Ubi and their ilk are the real problem with the gaming industry as a whole and the fact that they do not want to be on another console almost seems like a positive.

Indeed.

Game play elements. Or the MAP ICON FLOOD. Are partially the fault of gamers like myself. I like a game I can play for an hour.. or for 6 hours at a time depending on what I have time to do. Sometimes that can be capture a tower, or get x treasure chest. Sometimes it's completely clear an entire city of all collectible content. It just depends on what I have time to do. I for one like those little side items and collecting everything in the game. I'm sure it is some sort of illness.

But EVERY other Damn issue is spot on.

1. Stop marketing X delivering Y. That should be AGAINST THE EFFING LAW. I would actually akin it to the bait and switch.

2. Stop with the crappy embargo's. This is for ANY game maker short of blizzard and.. well currently just Blizzard for me. If you want me to buy a game day one. DO NOT embargo data on said game from reviewers. That is BULLSHIT.

I want reviewers to say. "Look I will honor an embargo UNLESS your game is shit. Can you agree to that?" If they say no. THEN POST THAT COMMUNICATION. It means that the game maker thinks their product is SHIT.

How hard would that be to enforce?

The funny thing is, Nintendo gets a lot of crap for not having many releases from these shit companies but is that really a bad thing? I mean Ubi literally doesn't have a decent IP left that hasn't been run into the ground. Activision really only has CoD left (taking Blizzard games out of the equation since they are not on any console) after burying GH and THPS with their annualized release schedule. EA has mediocre annualized sports titles (with the exception of FIFA but still, if you played one you played them all) that essentially set the standard for this type of crap. Every time we get a "AAA" (in budget only) release from these companies, time and time again we are severely disappointed. I think companies like Ubi and their ilk are the real problem with the gaming industry as a whole and the fact that they do not want to be on another console almost seems like a positive.

Yep! 100X... I hope Ubiactivarts games NEVER come to the Wii U. It's got amazing, high quality fun games right now. Their games would just ruin it.

I think it's more about meeting the holiday rush.

I am going to skip ACUnity. Just doesn't get my attention. I can't even force myself to beat AC4. I am getting FC4 though since NewEgg honored my 980 purchase :)

I think it's more about meeting the holiday rush.

I am going to skip ACUnity. Just doesn't get my attention. I can't even force myself to beat AC4. I am getting FC4 though since NewEgg honored my 980 purchase :)

Err quoted the wrong guy.... I hope Ubi gets a lot of backlash on this. Especially with consoles dipping into the teens.

good. i used to buy games day-one, but the past two years i completely stopped this habit and only buy the "complete" editions with all dlc and patches when it's in the bargain bin. and then publishers blame piracy for bad sales.

This. The announcement of DLC makes me less likely to buy your product until the complete edition is released. Until that point I work on my huge backlog. When game companies announce games w/ "all DLC included", ie. Witcher 2, I buy. When games like Civ Beyond Earth come out following over $100 of Civ V DLC, I patiently wait a year or two for the complete edition. Waiting has the added benefit of not needing a new GPU very often.

BUT
BUT
BUT
IF YOU DONT BUY DAY ONE WITH ALL TGE DLC YOU'RE SCREWING THE COMPANIES AND THEY'LL STOP MAKING GAMES!!!!

Just kidding.
Outside of Elder Scrolls and Borderlands I don't pre-order crap anymore OR buy the first few months.

There was a time when $50 bought you the entire game on day one. Then some beancounters somewhere decided the company could make more by charging you $60 on day one for the first part of the game, then another $45 over the course of the rest of the year for the rest of the game. When sales fall, blame piracy, therefore invasive DRM must be implemented. Rinse and repeat once a year for big name franchises...

Then some beancounters somewhere decided the company could make more by charging you $60 on day one for the first part of the game, then another $45 over the course of the rest of the year for the rest of the game.

Then smart consumers realized that if they were willing to wait 6 months to a year (or more depending on how often DLC was released), they could get the whole package for somewhere between $30-50 depending on how the game was received upon release.

I'm solidly in this camp and can stand to wait years to play games since I'm primarily (90/10) a single-player game player. For the multiplayer games like BF it ends up being much cheaper to get the whole game (read: for BF, the base game and "Premium" edition) for less than the base game upon launch if picking it up on sale.

For some multiplayer games, the community dies, but this only happens to crap games to no loss to me and my ilk.

We'll see if this hurts them. If FC4 doesn't sell well (being so close to the Unity fiasco), then they may get the message.

I don't get why people get so upset over this. Just wait until fellow gamer nerds start talking about the games before you buy! Can't people see the antics going on? Like you couldn't figure out the game had framerate issues when they dropped it to 30fps?

GOTY editions on steam for peanuts people... Just saying... SO many good games out there. (I know you [H] folks get it - but man people are dumb)

i've played all the ACs up to this one, not this time

Indeed. I almost got hooked with GamersGate's 20% November coupon too. But Humble Bundles tend to be pretty rad, and I'm backlogged with at 6 months of gameplay as it is.

I really didn't want reassurance that buying day one is an idiot's venture, but I got it anyway.

EAs actually been doing pretty well by PC gamers this year IMO.

They occasionally do go through an upward phase. Then usually ruin it shortly after again. Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Mass Effect, Dragon Age:O and a few others went off without a hitch, were great games, etc.

I'm actually quite looking forward to Mirror's Edge 2.

If they REALLY wanted me as a real customer again, they'd go back to selling on Steam. It'll never happen though. It would be cool even if their games were exclusive to Origin for a little while, and then went to Steam later.

I hate Origin, and only have Mass Effect 3 in it. I'll probably cave and pick up Mirror's Edge 2 for it, but that's about it.

My ranking of shit companies has always been as follows
EA > UBI > Konami (mostly for unintentionally killing all its most beloved franchises) > Activision > Capcom > Square

With UBI close at ea's heels for the lead of the crap

X1iCxiL.png

I couldn't agree with you more.

With the introduciton of sites like GoG, I've been mostly replaying the classics. Most recently I've gotten back into X-Wing, Tie Fighter and Alpha Centauri (so much better than Civ 5: Beyond Earth it's embarassing!).

I have looked into GOG, titles are spotty but hopefully it will grow.

If only they would recode X-wing so it could be played at HD+, I'd buy that copy.

I liked Ubisoft back in the day before the DRM BS like with the Rainbow 6 titles.

Truth to that.

I'm still waiting for ubisoft to fix the coop in farcry 3. I haven't been able to get a private match going and I'm forced to play online using that shitty u-play service (no Lan support of course).

EAs actually been doing pretty well by PC gamers this year IMO.

BF4's continuing issues, them trying to push a half-baked mod as a full title (Hardline), FIFA15 scripting BS, Titan-half-a-game-fall cutting MP modes to condense the community; say otherwise. They're still doing the same crap, they've just gotten slightly better at taking feedback / doing customer relations.

BF4's continuing issues, them trying to push a half-baked mod as a full title (Hardline), FIFA15 scripting BS, Titan-half-a-game-fall cutting MP modes to condense the community; say otherwise. They're still doing the same crap, they've just gotten slightly better at taking feedback / doing customer relations.

BF4 STILL has issues? Hasn't the game been out a year? I got duped into buying it at launch, too. Barely played it since because of the issues.

Back