Microsoft Takes .NET Open Source And Cross-Platform

HardOCP News

[H] News
On Wednesday, Microsoft Corp. reinforced its commitment to cross-platform developer experiences by open sourcing the full server-side .NET stack and expanding .NET to run on the Linux and Mac OS platforms. Microsoft also released Visual Studio Community 2013, a new free edition of Visual Studio that provides easy access to the Visual Studio core toolset. The announcements kicked off Microsoft’s Connect (); event, where the company released Visual Studio 2015 Preview and .NET 2015 Preview.

About time... This was supposed to happened from the start.
I wonder if Mono will be able to survive or if they'll just use it as the basis for the linux/Mac OSX version of .Net

I also wonder what will be used on Linux and OSX for the winform control...

Wow.

I assume Winforms will be cross platform as well seeing as how it's a part of the .NET library. I hope so anyways, that would really help me in my job. We could finally port our front end software to embedded hardware.

Now if only Microsoft could include a managed OpenGL assembly without me having to ressort to a third party product (OpenTK) I would be in heaven.

Installed the Visual Studio 2015 Preview along with the Xamarin tools yesterday. Even has a template for Android wear apps.

Yep heard this the other day, as a. Net dev I am quite pleased with all of this ;).

In all seriousness, I wonder how long it will be before the EU or USA will claim, "Microsoft is a monopoly with these practices and they cannot give things away for free." Something like that anyways. Well, they do seem to be moving in the right direction and doing like they did in the 90's.

In all seriousness, I wonder how long it will be before the EU or USA will claim, "Microsoft is a monopoly with these practices and they cannot give things away for free." Something like that anyways. Well, they do seem to be moving in the right direction and doing like they did in the 90's.

"Users should be given a CHOICE what IDE they want to code with when booting up Windows for the first time!"

:p

I like this. I do wonder, how will this help MS acquire the dough?

The developers this is targeted at weren't giving Microsoft any dough anyway. Now you get to use Microsoft's very nice development stack for projects across lots of platforms and help encourage developers for Microsoft's mobile platform. Ultimately that's what Microsoft is trying to spur here. While you're doing that Android app, hey, see what it looks like on Windows 10 perhaps.

I liked the Visual Studio 2015 with support for writing android applications using clang.

The developers this is targeted at weren't giving Microsoft any dough anyway. Now you get to use Microsoft's very nice development stack for projects across lots of platforms and help encourage developers for Microsoft's mobile platform. Ultimately that's what Microsoft is trying to spur here. While you're doing that Android app, hey, see what it looks like on Windows 10 perhaps.

They should of done this when win 8 released.

This move makes sense. Is Microsoft changing its ways?

they have to since they are cornered by both Google and Apple who both dominate mobile world and lock their customers in their own ecosystem.

MS must change its way when they are beaten.

When the internet is properly reclassified as a utility MS will automatically hold a 90+% lock on global access to it. There will be nothing left to do, given the legality of MS's selling and support policies and resulting inability of any other OS to ever compete substantially, but force it to the public domain anyway.

Historically the same scenario has presented itself during the evolution of most new utilities, e.g. monopoly control of our telephone landline network in the 1930's. The feds had to intervene. No third option existed then, and it still doesn't today for the internet. We can debate the merits and problems of the corporate profit motive, but by all accounts it's both inexorable and infinite, and government can be the only effective protector of the public interest against it.

When the internet is properly reclassified as a utility MS will automatically hold a 90+% lock on global access to it. There will be nothing left to do, given the legality of MS's selling and support policies and resulting inability of any other OS to ever compete substantially, but force it to the public domain anyway.

Historically the same scenario has presented itself during the evolution of most new utilities, e.g. monopoly control of our telephone landline network in the 1930's. The feds had to intervene. No third option existed then, and it still doesn't today for the internet. We can debate the merits and problems of the corporate profit motive, but by all accounts it's both inexorable and infinite, and government can be the only effective protector of the public interest against it.

You must get a lot of strange looks when you are having conversations. What you said has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand other than you mentioned Microsoft and they are in the original topic.

You must get a lot of strange looks when you are having conversations. What you said has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand other than you mentioned Microsoft and they are in the original topic.
Read the thread title a bit slower.

This decision from MS while inevitable will revolutionize computing and the world imo. If you think that's ridiculous overstatement wait a few years.

they have to since they are cornered by both Google and Apple who both dominate mobile world and lock their customers in their own ecosystem.

MS must change its way when they are beaten.

Yeap.. computing is becoming company-centered not so much device-centered like it used to with desktops.
It is a matter of time before all computing is like this, device functionality will be a matter of choosing access to the company services.. not so much 'windows' any 'OS' in particular.
somekind of linux might the base for most connected computing. Or windows might have to go open source too if this connected computing is advancing as much as it seems.

Might be a future were linux is the most widespread OS in history.. kind of like the rootstock for grafted plants.

Back