Help me choose 1440p IPS

Thanks for those posts. The reviewer says shimian is bad qual but supoprts the yamakasi q270.
I dont see q270 on the ebay listing, just 2703. Is it the same monitor?

Well it depends on what youre doing with it. Gaming, photo work? This BenQ 32" for $675 looks the most promising to me as Im wanting a bigger screen than 27" probably. This BenQ 27" for $405 is also highly recommended in its price range as all around performer.

some gaming here and there, watch a decent amount of movies, and do a lot of school work. so i guess an all arounder? I don't have much to spend. max i can do is low 200s.
So really I am just trying to pick one of the two I have in first post.

Low 200's won't be enough for a 1440p monitor at least not one that worth a crap. I wouldn't touch a refurbished monitor with a barge pole. Brand spanking new monitor are sometime luck of the draw so one that's already been broke and patched together wouldn't be worth anything IMO. I would save up enough cash and buy a quality screen rather than some repaired POS off eBay.

For gaming, videos, photo/video editing, and just casual use, get the QNIX QX2710 Evolution II and do not look back. If you came from a TN, it will be a whole new world or color and contrast lol. But seriously, this is one of the highest regarded monitors for gaming, and even just for being an IPS. There is not much if anything else like it at its price point. DO NOT GET REFURBISHED, save yourself a huge problem and waste of money, you will be let down greatly.

The QNIX can be overclocked very well, if that is your thing. Meaning, you can have it output up to 120Hz (120 fps) even though it does 60Hz natively. This is only if you have the power to crank out up to 120 fps at 1440p or 1080p with your pc.

When looking for this monitor, you will encounter a shit ton of confusion like I and many others did. There will be models that say they are SE and Pixel Perfect and True 10. Let me break it down. Stay far away from SE and True 10, it will say it in the title if it is either. SE basically means it is defective, it has been pushed off the line from quality control and has bad backlight bleed, many dead pixels, broken bezel, etc. True 10 means it has input lag and have a slow response time. Do not under any circumstances get a QNIX monitor that has either of these terms in the title or description, no matter how inexpensive they are... you get what you pay for.
Pixel Perfect is what you DO want. It means it has no dead pixels or only a couple at the most. Remember these come from South Korea, the other side of the Earth and while shipping they can take a beating from shipping and processing. This cannot really be controlled by the company or vendor. They will make sure they have no dead pixels at the facility they make or store them in South Korea, then once they ship it, its up to the shipping companies and workers how it gets handled. Usually it will be knocked around a bit from the ~60,000 miles it travels to your house and as a result, it MIGHT get a couple dead pixels. If it has around more than 5 dead pixels, you can return it and get an exchange, depending on who you buy it from.

I highly suggest you buy it from these two vendors. They are the best and the ones that most people buy from... for good reason. Super fast shipping, like 3 days max from SK to US for free shipping. Best pixel perfect policy, meaning they will allow the least amount of dead pixels to be present and let you RMA it after like 5 dead pixels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-QNIX-QX...te-/121117252582?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...3797?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e7c39ae25

NOTE: you can only use DVI-D with these monitors from your gpu. Cannot use HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA... you can only connect DVI-D dual link.
dvi_connector_types.gif

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Usually it will be knocked around a bit from the ~60,000 miles it travels to your house

I agree with everything you said, but I wanted to point out your math is... a little bit off. :) Hoping that was a typo.

For gaming, videos, photo/video editing, and just casual use, get the QNIX QX2710 Evolution II and do not look back. If you came from a TN, it will be a whole new world or color and contrast lol. But seriously, this is one of the highest regarded monitors for gaming, and even just for being an IPS. There is not much if anything else like it at its price point. DO NOT GET REFURBISHED, save yourself a huge problem and waste of money, you will be let down greatly.

The QNIX can be overclocked very well, if that is your thing. Meaning, you can have it output up to 120Hz (120 fps) even though it does 60Hz natively. This is only if you have the power to crank out up to 120 fps at 1440p or 1080p with your pc.

When looking for this monitor, you will encounter a shit ton of confusion like I and many others did. There will be models that say they are SE and Pixel Perfect and True 10. Let me break it down. Stay far away from SE and True 10, it will say it in the title if it is either. SE basically means it is defective, it has been pushed off the line from quality control and has bad backlight bleed, many dead pixels, broken bezel, etc. True 10 means it has input lag and have a slow response time. Do not under any circumstances get a QNIX monitor that has either of these terms in the title or description, no matter how inexpensive they are... you get what you pay for.
Pixel Perfect is what you DO want. It means it has no dead pixels or only a couple at the most. Remember these come from South Korea, the other side of the Earth and while shipping they can take a beating from shipping and processing. This cannot really be controlled by the company or vendor. They will make sure they have no dead pixels at the facility they make or store them in South Korea, then once they ship it, its up to the shipping companies and workers how it gets handled. Usually it will be knocked around a bit from the ~60,000 miles it travels to your house and as a result, it MIGHT get a couple dead pixels. If it has around more than 5 dead pixels, you can return it and get an exchange, depending on who you buy it from.

I highly suggest you buy it from these two vendors. They are the best and the ones that most people buy from... for good reason. Super fast shipping, like 3 days max from SK to US for free shipping. Best pixel perfect policy, meaning they will allow the least amount of dead pixels to be present and let you RMA it after like 5 dead pixels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-QNIX-QX...te-/121117252582?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...3797?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e7c39ae25

NOTE: you can only use DVI-D with these monitors from your gpu. Cannot use HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA... you can only connect DVI-D dual link.
dvi_connector_types.gif

I am sorry but those look like they are built by cheap materials and missing other features. Do they even have a VESA support, adjustable stand, ergonomics and energy saving specifications and for example five year warranty? Regarding the panel is it PWM flicker free? Excluding the panel it does look they saved on costs. The screen looks cheap as a whole not talking about the panel itself.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I am sorry but those look like they are built by cheap materials and missing other features. Do they even have a VESA support, adjustable stand, ergonomics and energy saving specifications and for example five year warranty? Regarding the panel is it PWM flicker free? Excluding the panel it does look they saved on costs. The screen looks cheap as a whole not talking about the panel itself.

There's a whole series of reviews in the two links I posted in the first reply to the OP.

But OP asked for cheap. Otherwise, the BenQ or AOC models might have been recommended.

Tell me though, what good would a five year warranty do if you had to ship it to south korea every time you needed a repair?

Thanks for your input, guys. Despite your recommendations I went with the Shimian. It seems to have good reviews and I've contacted 3 people on youtube who've done a review of the monitor 2-3 years ago. All 3 got back to me saying that they haven't had a single issue in the past 3 years.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed.
Curious to hear your opinion on the refurb model.

I've had the Yamakasi since a couple of months after they debuted (i just missed getting the 120hz board). Part time use but still going strong with very little backlight bleed.

Good luck either way.

I've been thinking of replacing my HP LP2475 with a BenQ BL2710PT.

Reading quite a few experiences from people on these forums and product reviews that have gone through 2 or more exchanges for a decent "defect free" monitor has me a little bit worried because, unfortunately, I'm probably one of these people whose tolerance for defects is small. When I got my LP2475 I think I went through four of them. But HP had a wonderful advance replacement policy. Never even had to ship the old monitors back. Don't know if they still do that. I think Dell does/did that too, but I read about way too many QC problems with Dells.

So it's not necessarily the defects that worry me, but the exchange policies of either newegg or amazon. More specifically, the return shipping costs. Neither site is really all that clear about this. It's ambiguous to me whether I would have to pay return shipping for a "defective" product. Because shipping a 27" monitor is not exactly cheap. However, it does seem clear that if you're returning the item that's not defective you're responsible for the return shipping.

So if anyone that's dealt with either newegg or amazon this way can chime in and provide some insight?

Well, doing a search on the seller "helloemart". It seems that it is the same person as green-sum and worldbest365. This guy provides pretty good service. Doing a search on his usernames I've come across instances where he let the buyer keep the monitor and shipped the buyer a new one. Of course, the buyer provided a lot of proof through pictures and videos. The seller also refunds shipping cost if the monitor is indeed defective.

The monitor should arrive on Friday so we'll see.

Back