Windows 10 Enterprise Features Announced

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Are you playing with the Windows 10 Technical Preview like many of us? MS recently revealed the enterprise-oriented management options for Windows 10 and will start working some of them into future tech preview releases. Woot!

Expected around the middle of next year, the new operating system will include a variety of new UI elements to make it more user friendly than Windows 8, including a Start menu, virtual desktops, and resizable Windows Store apps that behave more like legacy apps. Though less visible than these UI changes, Windows 10's beneath-the-hood improvements for enterprises will be equally important, allowing businesses to deploy and manage the OS more easily than they have with past versions.

Can't wait to try this out.

Win8 pro was amazing to work with, I hope they don't dramatically change a lot of policies.

They had me until "Windows Store apps"

Microsoft just doesn't get it, do they.

DPI, what the hell is wrong with you? Windows also had Internet Explorer, which while not terrible now, was a few years back. That didn't mean had to use it, it was just there. You don't have to use Windows Store apps, its just there.

Be less opinionated or have better opinions please.

DPI, what the hell is wrong with you? Windows also had Internet Explorer, which while not terrible now, was a few years back. That didn't mean had to use it, it was just there. You don't have to use Windows Store apps, its just there.

LOL...comparing an Internet browser to a store app that has no business being on an enterprise OS. No admin in their right mind would allow that to even show...sounds like you need some common sense.

The big mistake was in Win 8 even with a GPO the store and links and references could not be removed.

They have done better now in 8.1 but there are still parts you can not make the store go away with out using registry hacks to be loaded.

LOL...comparing an Internet browser to a store app that has no business being on an enterprise OS. No admin in their right mind would allow that to even show...sounds like you need some common sense.
In TFA they said that there will be improved device management options for the store - wouldn't be surprised if one was to disable it entirely.

You clearly have little experience in an Enterprise where security of system is important and not letting users just go off and install what ever they want actually matters.

No admin in their right mind would allow that to even show...sounds like you need some common sense.

First of all, the author of the OP link was the one that mentioned windowed Windows Store, that had nothing to do with the Microsoft announcement here. Secondly, while it's not yet set in stone or all been publically announced, the Windows Store looks to be undergoing significant changes. If all of the rumors are true one will be able to create their own private stores in a Windows domain and not only will modern apps be deployable this way but also desktop apps. And Microsoft will also allow desktop apps to be deployed directly from Microsoft's store instead of simply directing users to 3rd party web sites.

So local deployment options should be a lot more interesting in 10. Along with the Microsoft's Store with direct desktop app deployment and one location for software for all of Microsoft's platforms, there will options for companies to create their own private stores along with OneGet package management. Again, not all confirmed rumors but what I've said here has been floating around from the usual sources for some time.

What about the Play Store on work Android devices?

And no I have no experience in the enterprise so I am a little sorry for the post but still.

What about the Play Store on work Android devices?

And no I have no experience in the enterprise so I am a little sorry for the post but still.

Android device = customer level ...

I can see your noobmess form a mile away mind you.

one more "store" = one more possible vulnerability for enterprise level OS's.

First of all, the author of the OP link was the one that mentioned windowed Windows Store, that had nothing to do with the Microsoft announcement here. Secondly, while it's not yet set in stone or all been publically announced, the Windows Store looks to be undergoing significant changes. If all of the rumors are true one will be able to create their own private stores in a Windows domain and not only will modern apps be deployable this way but also desktop apps. And Microsoft will also allow desktop apps to be deployed directly from Microsoft's store instead of simply directing users to 3rd party web sites.

So local deployment options should be a lot more interesting in 10. Along with the Microsoft's Store with direct desktop app deployment and one location for software for all of Microsoft's platforms, there will options for companies to create their own private stores along with OneGet package management. Again, not all confirmed rumors but what I've said here has been floating around from the usual sources for some time.

This will be slick and it's a shame MS may of missed their mark in the Education Sector cause a lot of places are already deeply ingrained with iPads/iPods and subsequent MDM platforms.

This will be slick and it's a shame MS may of missed their mark in the Education Sector cause a lot of places are already deeply ingrained with iPads/iPods and subsequent MDM platforms.

The last year has probably been the roughest the iPad has seen since it's introduction. Fantastic device but the economics of it I think are unstainable for growth. While Android rules the roost in the space obviously we are now getting $100 Windows 8 x86 tablets. Not counting phones, Windows touch capable devices I'd suspect at this point are outselling iPads simply due to the cost and that so many Windows laptops are now touch capable. I haven't been in a Best Buy for a while but picked up something from there today. I remember when Windows 8 came out two years ago an almost none of the Windows laptops in retail were touch capable and there were no few tablets or hybrids on display besides Surface devices. Now the bulk of the laptops are touch capable and the cheapest Windows devices are tablets for $100.

I think the story of Windows 8 being a complete catastrophe might be a little premature. From the day that Windows 8 came out I said new hardware and lower price points were a huge part of the story beyond the OS. The hardware side of it has just now come to fruition. From $100 cheapo devices to top line devices like the Surface Pro that either didn't exist or have vastly improved from two years ago.

Didn't LA or some other school district have a shit fit because they "locked down" the iPad's, but found out a bit later that many students had jailbroke their device and installed a lot of games rather than the school mandated "educational apps"? iPad's are nice (my kids school uses them), but they aren't as great as they are pitched. Personally, I would like to see more Windows PC's out there for education. Use what they will use when they are out of school.

Yes, schools now are taking back the ipads and replacing them with actual, useful, laptops.

I would love if one could do a "personal store" but almost seems pointless, most enterprise just push out via GPO or what ever tool is preferred installs / images.

For me i have 3 Images i push via PXE for our office workstations, and if someone feels they need X application suite they need to justify it, as licensing gets expensive when everyone suddenly thinks they need Photoshop.

I'm confused. The Store has had a GPO to control being able to run it since Win8 came out..
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh832040.aspx#BKMK_TurnOnOff

We're just starting a forced migration to Win8.1 Pro. They deployed Win7 Pro company-wide, then suddenly decided they needed encryption. They say "welp, we got Pro, just switch on BitLocker!" I was the one that had to raise his hand in the meeting and give them the bad news. At least this means I'll likely be deploying Win10 next year as well.

Can't System Center push applications to workstations? That should work for a lot. But, the Windows Store might make it more user friendly and more of a "when you need it" thing.

Win 8 no, it was still there when you try to open a file it doesn't have an app for as well as i think other small menus, there also was no GPO to remove the Store icon from the task bar.

They had me until "Windows Store apps"

Microsoft just doesn't get it, do they.

/sarcasm Yeah, why would they have something that in the OS that others would use besides you, that is just stupid. /sarcasm :rolleyes:

Android device = customer level ...

I can see your noobmess form a mile away mind you.

one more "store" = one more possible vulnerability for enterprise level OS's.

So you're telling me companie's devicez with BYOD or supply their own Androids don't have the Play Store?

And why don't you be less of an asshole? I mean seriously this forum could definitely do with some less assholiness.

Back