Best 1080p screen for consoles?

JDMFSeanP

n00b
Hey guys, with the release of the new Halo MCC coming out soon, I was hoping to get a new 1080p monitor solely for console use. I used to play competitively and have always found playing a monitor at a desk to be the best way to play.

I don't really have a budget and can swing whatever, but was thinking a monitor (27) or small TV (32). I can go down to 24, but hoping to stay above that.

Things I want:
- Tiny Bezels, good aesthetics. Not a tacky gamer monitor.
- Fast response time
- Accurate colors/solid blacks
- 60hz is just fine, it's for console use only
- HDMI Input
- Speakers don't matter

Possibilities:

Dell S2715H
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2715H-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00M9B3S0W
Issues: No reviews, IPS, 6 ms GTG response.

Samsung 27" Curved
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor-S27D590C/dp/B00N4OBHNI
Expensive for novelty (doesn't bug me just if can get more value for same amount), not completely sure on response time but have heard its good, also no real reviews.

Is it worth looking into the 28" 4k monitors at all?
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-28-Inch-Definition-Monitor-U28D590D/dp/B00IEZGWI2

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Solid blacks ?

Iiyama xb2783hsu (x2783hsu if you don't care about the fancy stand).
Or BenQ EW2740L if the Iiyama is not available in your area.

Those are the best 1080p VA monitors around.

Otherwise the best IPS/PLS are;

LG 27MP75HM
Samsung S27D390H / S27590P

PS: and yeah the new glossy Dell seems nice as well.

Last edited:
Solid blacks ?

Iiyama xb2783hsu (x2783hsu if you don't care about the fancy stand).
Or BenQ EW2740L if the Iiyama is not available in your area.

Those are the best 1080p VA monitors around.

Otherwise the best IPS/PLS are;

LG 27MP75HM
Samsung S27D390H / S27590P

PS: and yeah the new glossy Dell seems nice as well.

Yea I guess the blacks are going to have to be a balance, because it really puts the response time up in the air. Hmm

also interested in this, currently using a XL2420TE and not happy with the viewing angles

There isn't much else to write about, you can expand the list with the following but in the end it all comes down to what additional/convenience features you want (stand, speakers, connectivity, etc);

VA
Samsung S27C750P (rather old now and the stand sucks)
ASUS VN279QLB (not 100% flicker-free but reasonably high-freq PWM, slightly inferior to the Iiyama)
BenQ BL2700HT (not released yet? expected to perform like the Iiyama)

IPS/PLS
Dell S2715H (glossy)
LG 27MP35HQ / 27MP55HQ / 27MP65HQ (the cheaper LG's)
AOC 2777 (Asia-Pacific only?)
-> etc, etc, almost all brands sell at least one 27" 1080p IPS with the same LG AH-IPS or Samsung AD-PLS/S-PLS panels found everywhere.

All the listed from my first post and this one share similar performance (light-matte coating, low input lag, effective overdrive, flicker-free, decent colors and contrast) their main differences being those inherent to the panel technologies they use and what's to be expected from affordable consumer-level monitors.

I like the Iiyama because it's the best performing VA in that category and it's well-equipped for the price.
You'll want one of the IPS/PLS only if you're going to play enough very fast-moving 3D games like FPS or racing games (and looks like you will, so...)

PS: reference threads:
http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/monitor-reviews-discussion/14998-monitor-questions-read-1st-post-post-questions-here-send-me-private-message.html
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803228

I got a 27" AH-IPS ASUS it's great for both console and PC games I don't use it for surfing since I think it's too big for that. But I have a HDMI from my PS4 and Display Port cable for PC big picture mode games works great for both. Then use a PS4 duo shock to play PC games on the monitor. I used it for Destiny good looking game but that is about it.
My brother last X-mas seen the AH-IPS panel with my PS4 hooked up to it and he said he wants one.

As an owner of the S2715H I can absolutely recommend it. Fantastic colors, no noticiable input or motion lag and the glossy screen do add a pop effect to the colors. I've had quite a few Dell monitors (U2410, U2711, 2713HMW, 2913WM) and other than the "low" 1080p resolution it's the best monitor I've had. That "low" resolution is just what you need for your PS3/PS4 needs.

As an owner of the S2715H I can absolutely recommend it. Fantastic colors, no noticiable input or motion lag and the glossy screen do add a pop effect to the colors. I've had quite a few Dell monitors (U2410, U2711, 2713HMW, 2913WM) and other than the "low" 1080p resolution it's the best monitor I've had. That "low" resolution is just what you need for your PS3/PS4 needs.

Perfect! I actually pulled the trigger last week on one, shipping is oddly slow being direct from Dell but it'll get here Friday! I'll post more impressions as well once it gets here.

Perfect! I actually pulled the trigger last week on one, shipping is oddly slow being direct from Dell but it'll get here Friday! I'll post more impressions as well once it gets here.

You wont regret it! Hope you enjoy it. The color mode that best work for me is Movie and actually I use it for everything.

Back