The Biggest Video Games of Holiday Season 2014

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It’s almost that joyous time of the year again and we’re not just talking about the upcoming holiday season either. It’s time for many of the best games of 2014 to be released just in time to be scarfed up by holiday buyers and this year’s offering is a bumper crop of hit titles across all platforms.

Some little indie darling may rise up from obscurity and become the absolute best video game of all time, forever and ever amen.

Lets see here...

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Wait, didn't they already release this game?

Assassin’s Creed: Unity
- Unless the gameplay drastically changed from previous games than NO!
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Xbox One game? Who owns an Xbox One?
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - I've kicked my WoW addiction and been WoW free since. Wouldn't touch that game unless prices go down and the casual crap goes away.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Now this might be a good game, that is if they don't have QTE like modern games.
Far Cry 4 - NOPE! Open world sand box games just don't work when you just throw random quests around the map.
LittleBigPlanet 3 - I've never played these games and have no interest to start.
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - I've never been a fan of these games.
The Crew - New game so don't know.

Wow. The only two I'm remotely interested in are Dragon Age and FC4. The problem is Dragon Age=EA and FC4=Ubisoft, so a resounding "NO" to both.

So, tell me why I should pay $60 for a new game when, by waiting a year, I can pick it up discounted at a Steam Sale? Plus, I have plenty of unplayed games in my Steam collection.

So, tell me why I should pay $60 for a new game when, by waiting a year, I can pick it up discounted at a Steam Sale? Plus, I have plenty of unplayed games in my Steam collection.

Im in the same boat ill wait until Inquisition and Far cry 4 to get cheaper down the road, im still on the fence with draenor freakin expansion costs 50 bucks WTF basterds...the rest of those games i have zero interest in.

If everyone had that mentality, new games would cease to be produced.

Perhaps, perhaps not. Perhaps the market would learn to adjust to the different price point people are willing to pay for games. Perhaps companies would have to change their Hollywood mentality of throwing money at a game translates to good game.

I do seriously doubt though that there would be a complete void of production just because everyone refuses to pay $60 for a game.

Guess it depends on the person and how much they want a certain game. You put out a new Batman game and I'm buying it probably day 1. Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 2 and 3 and Max Payne 3 were all week 1 buys for me at full retail cause I wanted them. The new Call of Duty? Meh, I'll wait til it hits a nice Steam sale.

Dragon Age looks like the only game in there worth looking at. Waiting on murine reviews for that one. And as bad as EA might be, they are still better than ubisoft...

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - I'd rather buy Titanfall four more times for friends (it's like $15 every other week and it's ridiculously fun)

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - Absurdly expensive expansion pack for a pay per month game. Will wait for a price cut if I play it at all. Eve Online should be the poster child for how to do expansions in an MMO with a pay per month model.

Super Smash Bros. Wii U - Who owns a Wii U? I grabbed it for 3DS.

The Crew - The only decent PC racing game this year as Forza Horizon and Drive Club went console exclusive (XBOne and PS4 respectively) and Project Cars was pushed back into 2015. I'll probably pick it up.

Almost every title except the Crew is sequel.... sad games are like movies now... only sequels get big funding.

I don't know. I'm of the thought that if new games were released at more reasonable price points, there would be a reduction in piracy. Not a total elimination of piracy as there are some folks who refuse to pay any price for a game. It would also help that the games were more about good story and good game play rather than fancy effects and eye candy. (Watch Dogs anyone?)

I don't know. I'm of the thought that if new games were released at more reasonable price points, there would be a reduction in piracy.

Not a chance. Even if games were released at 99 cents on day one, the pirate groups would still exist exactly the same. Some people are just slimeballs.

It would also help that the games were more about good story and good game play rather than fancy effects and eye candy. (Watch Dogs anyone?)

Subjective. But I'd question why people would buy/pirate/download a game at any price, if they think it doesn't have whatever arbitrary criteria they're looking for in a game. This is the hypocrisy. "Watch Dogs sucks so much and Ubisoft #LIED so I'll pirate it because it sucks". Makes no sense.

No they wouldn't, don't be a puppet. If everyone did this, developers would be forced to release games that had been tested thoroughly and didn't need a day one patch followed by many subsequent patches to fix broken features and game design oversights.

Subjective. But I'd question why people would buy/pirate/download a game at any price, if they think it doesn't have whatever arbitrary criteria they're looking for in a game. This is the hypocrisy. "Watch Dogs sucks so much and Ubisoft #LIED so I'll pirate it because it sucks". Makes no sense.
Agreed. People can pirate for multiple reasons (usually just wanting things for free, but sometimes it's unavailable in their region, they're treating it like a demo, etc.), but pirating as a form of PROTEST is just retarded. Don't buy OR pirate the fucking game if you want to boycott it.

Wow. The only two I'm remotely interested in are Dragon Age and FC4. The problem is Dragon Age=EA and FC4=Ubisoft, so a resounding "NO" to both.

This EA hate is getting really old. EA makes video games people, not life saving medical devices. If you want to deny yourself two great games because of some irrational anger towards EA then it's your loss.

"Best games of 2014" is faint praise. Sadly, all except one are established franchises that are just being recycled. If you're into them already then that's a good thing.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - I'd rather buy Titanfall four more times for friends (it's like $15 every other week and it's ridiculously fun)

How can you say that without even playing the game?

I am getting really tired of people saying one game is better when the other isnt even out yet.

This EA hate is getting really old. EA makes video games people, not life saving medical devices. If you want to deny yourself two great games because of some irrational anger towards EA then it's your loss.
Not everyone is as keen on supporting companies that continually act unethically as you are. EA has a really long history of acting like shitheads towards consumers and developers. People like you are the reasons boycotts never work.

Worked pretty well for FC3.

No, no it didn't. A lot of people praised the game and MetaCritic gave it a 8.2, but when I played the game I was glad I only paid $5. Every minute of the game made me hate it. The game says, "we know the main story is short but how about quests to go kill a bear with a knife?". Quests to kill tigers with a rocket launcher and a flame thrower for alligators.

But that's the problem with open sandbox games in that it's hard to make the game last without useless side quests. I got the same problem with Borderlands pre sequel. It does make it easier for the developers but there's no thought put into the level design.

Only one I've got any interest in is The Crew.
Every single game on there is a rehash of a rehash of a rehash and getting your temperature taken with a rectal thermometer by a 500 lb nurse having the worst day of her life sounds less agonizing.

Not everyone is as keen on supporting companies that continually act unethically as you are. EA has a really long history of acting like shitheads towards consumers and developers. People like you are the reasons boycotts never work.

I have to reason to boycott. EA has provided me many hours of entertainment for my dollar. Again EA is not selling anything I can't live without. I honestly just understand all this irrational hatred towards a video game company.

The developers of DAI have really done s fantastic job with the game and community involvement but you got some folks here that just blindly shit on something because of EA.

Obviously there is no reason why for those of you with a shit-ton of games already in your queue. For those of us who play a mere handful of games each year, we'll gladly pay full price for those few we do.

No they wouldn't, don't be a puppet. If everyone did this, developers would be forced to release games that had been tested thoroughly and didn't need a day one patch followed by many subsequent patches to fix broken features and game design oversights.

Agreed. People can pirate for multiple reasons (usually just wanting things for free, but sometimes it's unavailable in their region, they're treating it like a demo, etc.), but pirating as a form of PROTEST is just retarded. Don't buy OR pirate the fucking game if you want to boycott it.

If people stopped paying for games they would start to spend even more on them?

If everyone waited for a game to be $5 on a steam sale (or xbox live sell or ps sale) how would take many companies think they should double or triple the man power they put into games for testing?

They look at the numbers, it cost too much to go through and fix all bugs and get it released on a given date. So patches it is. Which by that point you have your patch group working on the game and the core team is working on a new game now.

If they hired in more testers, and more programmers, and kept the core team working on the game more. Then the cost of the game would have to go up to cover all of these cost.

No, no it didn't. A lot of people praised the game and MetaCritic gave it a 8.2, but when I played the game I was glad I only paid $5. Every minute of the game made me hate it. The game says, "we know the main story is short but how about quests to go kill a bear with a knife?". Quests to kill tigers with a rocket launcher and a flame thrower for alligators.

But that's the problem with open sandbox games in that it's hard to make the game last without useless side quests. I got the same problem with Borderlands pre sequel. It does make it easier for the developers but there's no thought put into the level design.

Just because you personally hate a game doesn't mean everyone does.

I think Call of Duty and Battle Field are horrible games. I can't stand playing them for more than a few minutes. Does that mean these games shouldn't be made any more and that nobody else plays them?

How can you say that without even playing the game?

I am getting really tired of people saying one game is better when the other isnt even out yet.

It is called playing all the other Call of Duty games, is one out every year. You know what you are getting.

Just because you personally hate a game doesn't mean everyone does.

I think Call of Duty and Battle Field are horrible games. I can't stand playing them for more than a few minutes. Does that mean these games shouldn't be made any more and that nobody else plays them?

I for one can't STAND QTEs.
I purchased the new Tomb Raider on the word of a friend and absolutely hated it. It felt like a giant never ending chain of video sequences and QTEs.
THANK GOD I got it as part of a Tomb Raider package where it was like $20 for ALL of them, I didn't feel too bad. Had I spent full price I would have felt ripped.
Then again, I've been having a load of fun with 7 Days to Die, Space Engineers and Spacebace DF-9, all of which had scored pretty low on metacritic. Guess we all march to the beat of different drums.

I have to reason to boycott. EA has provided me many hours of entertainment for my dollar. Again EA is not selling anything I can't live without. I honestly just understand all this irrational hatred towards a video game company.

The developers of DAI have really done s fantastic job with the game and community involvement but you got some folks here that just blindly shit on something because of EA.
Why do you think it's irrational? Yes, EA has published good games, but it's also stolen code from developers (Madden v. Bethesda), bought good studios then destroyed them through mismanagement (Bullfrog / Westwood), abused its employees (EA Spouse testimony) rushed games that simply weren't ready (Battlefield / Simcity), flat out lied to the public (Simcity), and also hosted a "contest" as a ruse to steal ideas from indie developers. And this ignoring more subjective things like cheapening the gameplay through micro-transactions (Dead Space 3), ham-fisted DLC (many games), capping the framerate of a RACING game (NFS Rivals). EA is an awful company that doesn't adhere to much of anything in terms of ethics. Yes, it does manage to publish some good games, but claiming the hatred is "irrational" just sounds like ignorance to me, or else you honestly do not care whatsoever about how a company conducts itself so long as the product is good.

If people stopped paying for games they would start to spend even more on them?

If everyone waited for a game to be $5 on a steam sale (or xbox live sell or ps sale) how would take many companies think they should double or triple the man power they put into games for testing?

They look at the numbers, it cost too much to go through and fix all bugs and get it released on a given date. So patches it is. Which by that point you have your patch group working on the game and the core team is working on a new game now.

If they hired in more testers, and more programmers, and kept the core team working on the game more. Then the cost of the game would have to go up to cover all of these cost.
Not exactly. There would always be successes on different levels. The games that would keep making money on release would be ones that were actually fit for release instead of a public beta. It might force larger companies to scale down some projects or spend more than they were prepared to, but they've been cutting corners for a long time now. In the scenario where NOBODY was buying new release games however, what would happen is they would shift their priorities towards games that have much more staying power and could sell over a much longer time due to a good core, but with lower production values. Honestly, I wouldn't see that as such a bad thing. I'd rather have more games like FTL than Alien Colonial Marines. Over time, budgets would increase again as they would figure out that making a good game would be more profitable than spitting out cash in after cash in. By blindly pre-ordering or buying new, you're essentially rewarding bad behavior on the part of companies (unless they're one that really does have a good reputation) and the poor practice will either continue or get worse.

Obviously there is no reason why for those of you with a shit-ton of games already in your queue. For those of us who play a mere handful of games each year, we'll gladly pay full price for those few we do.
My excuse is that I picked up a lot of games through Steam sales and Humble Bundles. I also forsake games for a few years while I was getting my business degree (and yes, I saw the effects of World of Warcraft had on many a college student). Then, I had computer issues which prevented me from playing most games, and job insecurity caused me to postpone a computer replacement for three years until I finally built a new one this past September. So, yeah, I'm playing catch-up. So, go ahead and smirk as I finally play through Far Cry (released 2004), F.E.A.R. (released 2005), S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl (released 2007), The Witcher (released 2007), and Fallout 3 (released 2008). I just completed Duke Nukem Whatever last week, and did enjoy the game (although I was offended by some of the stuff put in there).

Lets see here...

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Wait, didn't they already release this game?

Assassin’s Creed: Unity
- Unless the gameplay drastically changed from previous games than NO!
Halo: The Master Chief Collection - Xbox One game? Who owns an Xbox One?
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor - I've kicked my WoW addiction and been WoW free since. Wouldn't touch that game unless prices go down and the casual crap goes away.
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Now this might be a good game, that is if they don't have QTE like modern games.
Far Cry 4 - NOPE! Open world sand box games just don't work when you just throw random quests around the map.
LittleBigPlanet 3 - I've never played these games and have no interest to start.
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - I've never been a fan of these games.
The Crew - New game so don't know.

Other than Assassins Creed which I enjoy for what it is..I basically agree with this list. I'll likely be picking up an XB1 this season finally, already have the PS4. But beyond that I don't see anything compelling that makes me want to buy much of anything. Sadly only 2 consoles ended up worth owning this generation. Fortunately there are enough quality titles on the 3ds to get my nintendo fix since the WiiU is a giant turd.

Sadly for the first time in years, I have found more "indie" games that i have enjoyed than AAA titles. This coming from someone who has generally despised most indie games because of the terrible fascination with "retro". Now don't get me wrong, I like a well done retro game, but retro as an excuse for "we couldn't be arsed to higher real graphics designers" doesn't fly with me. The one game I'm anticipating more than anything?

http://www.mightyno9.com/

One Game to Rule them all. :D It represents the One and ONLY game I have ever crowd funded.

Back