Trouble With Computer Waking From Sleep Mode

brispuss

n00b
Computer is about two years old. Running Windows 7 64 bit SP1, with ASRock Fata1ity Z77 Performance motherboard, Seasonic X-660 PSU, and 8GB RAM clocked at DDR3-1600. CPU is i5-3570K overclocked (on demand) to 4.0 GHz.

Previously, pressing a key on the keyboard would wake my computer up from sleep mode promptly (screen and data loaded within 2 or 3 seconds). Recently, the computer was extremely sluggish in waking up from sleep mode. It seemed the computer tried to boot from BIOS, then restart, then slowly rebooted and started reloading data!?

No changes have been made to hardware, and no (intentional) changes to BIOS either. Only change was installation and uninstallation of a few minor programs unrelated to computer power management, so they shouldn't have affected sleep mode.

Did not see any user adjustable options for sleep mode in BIOS, so the BIOS must operate sleep mode automatically with no manual override.

By default(?), computer power management settings are - screen saver starts after 10 minutes of inactivity, and sleep mode starts after 30 minutes of inactivity.

Otherwise computer starts, shuts down, and restarts fine! The only issue is with waking from sleep mode.

Why the sudden very slow start/reboot waking from sleep mode?

I have some ideas and have already implemented them, but I would be interested in other people's comments. Thanks!

Last edited:
Check Event Viewer at:
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Diagnostics - Performance

Capture_zps74efb2e3.png
[/URL][/IMG]

does win 7 have allow wake timers? sorry mis read the post:eek:

In an elevated command prompt typing powercfg -requests should show the culprit that is keeping your system awake, or at least waking it up. I recently had this issue and finally narrowed it down to a homegroup issue that started after installing win 10 preview on a laptop.

Thanks for the comments.

I've looked at Windows events logs and there didn't appear to be anything (obviously) related to sleep/wake up issues. There were numerous entries for warnings, some entries for error, and some entries for critical. Most entries seem related to slowish start-up times.

The powercfg -requests command did show a couple of entries under SYSTEM about svchost.exe (Rasman). I think this has something to do with internet connection, which is a dial-up connection only.

I ran HDD and RAM diagnostics with no issues reported.
Ran anti-malware with no issues reported either.
Reset BIOS, and eventually updated BIOS just in case.

Still there were occasional slow wake up issues from sleep mode despite the above.

From internet searches it seems "hybrid sleep" mode might cause wake up issues. So I disabled "hybrid sleep" and also "hibernation" modes (since I don't use hibernation mode anyway). So when computer sleeps it goes into S3 state only.

So far there have been no further issues.

A brief update. Around the time the wake up from sleep issues occurred, there was occasional starting the computer problems also. Thought it was a faulty case power switch, but by process of elimination, and by replacing the PSU (SeaSonic X-660) with another PSU I have, it seems the cause of the issues may be due to the SeaSonic PSU failing.

Using the (temporary) replacement PSU, there have not been any further issues, yet.

Back