Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo Crashes During Testing

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Los Angeles Times, Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo crashed during testing today.

Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo crashed after it had an "in-flight anomaly" during testing Friday, according to a Mojave Air and Space Port spokesperson. The status of its pilots is unknown. A statement from Virgin Galactic said its partner Scaled Composites conducted the test flight Friday, during which a "serious anomaly" led to the "loss of the vehicle."

bet you all those that forked over $250k for a ticket into space on this thing are feeling superbly confident :D

These vehicles should be remotely controlled, and if any passengers are ever inside the vessel, they should travel in individual safety pods that will accommodate as many disaster scenarios as possible.

They played with human lives, and it seems we lost one. Unfortunate, and we should have prevented it.

These vehicles should be remotely controlled, and if any passengers are ever inside the vessel, they should travel in individual safety pods that will accommodate as many disaster scenarios as possible.

They played with human lives, and it seems we lost one. Unfortunate, and we should have prevented it.

Yeah you should run for political office, so you can prevent space programs from ever succeeding by implementing new *safety* rules that make it impossible to do anything.

And as expected, lefties the internet over are using this as an opportunity to bash private industry. Worse than vultures these people are.

I don't understand the appeal of entering Space other than to experience zero gravity. Doesn't NASA have some shit that lets you experience that on Earth?

image3.jpg

What if the fucker next to you throws up and his chunks drift into your face?

No, people who fork over a quarter million dollars in advance sight unseen for a really high altitude climb "into space" see the plane they're supposed to take have malfunction and crash. That my friend is not exactly a confidence booster, and if I was rich enough to afford a ticket I'd probably be second guessing using that ticket right now.

Not sure where you got the humor aspect from it, a smiley face does not translate to humor always. If I did a LOL or something, sure, but I did a smiley.

Fucking noobs. This is cutting edge. Not a trip to your local corner store for a hot dog and a sugar soda.

Waste of 'space'.

Unfortunate, but it comes with the territory. Hopefully they can sort out what happened to correct the issue. In their shoes, carry on and name their first official vehicle in the deceased's honor or something.

All this having been said, I didn't realize they were using a solid-propellant system. I suppose it makes sense (for the purposes of cutting complexity and weight - and thereby, cost) but I can't help but wonder if it might have been something gone wrong with the rocket itself. I know that solid-fuel rockets are relatively stable, but once it's lit, it's going to burn until the propellant is spent. I guess we'll have to wait for the outcome of their inquest to see what went wrong.

To be fair, even normal aircraft have crashed due to technical issues, aircraft that have been operational for years. There's always a risk when we fly, the best we can do is to minimize it the best we can, but sometimes accidents still occur. But people still have to fly every day.

How many people have NASA killed getting people into space? 13 in flight that I am aware of. And how many people have died on airplanes? Who knows?! It definitely sucks, but unexpected shit happens when you're flying, you cant just wrap everybody in bubble wrap to protect them every second of their lives. These pilots knew what they were getting into, and its sad that one died.

However, I would suggest anyone pointing fingers and blaming Private Sector space flight for putting "profit" before safety; consider that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference who paid for it, people are still going to die in the name of progress. As unfortunate as it may be. So do the world a favor and shut your pie hole, nobody cares about your worthless opinions.

Back