Bethesda Confirms Prey 2 Cancelled

HardOCP News

[H] News
Prey 2 has been cancelled? Why is Bethesda "confirming" this now? Isn't this old news?

"It was game we believed in, but we never felt that it got to where it needed to be - we never saw a path to success if we finished it," Hines said. "It wasn't up to our quality standard and we decided to cancel it. It's no longer in development. That wasn't an easy decision, but it's one that won't surprise many folks given that we hadn't been talking about it.

Hines said. "It wasn't up to our quality standard"
He probably meant that the game wasn't buggy enough for them to release it. It's Bethesda's standard!

Not a huge surprise, TBH. It fell off the radar pretty quickly after that cool CGI trailer, and I think most of us figured something like this would happen.

Sucks because the first game was really cool, and the CGI trailer looked awesome.

This couldn't be an easier IP to revive. A sequel to a cult classic fps singleplayer game with a known penchant for outlandish game mechanics and other similar shit. You could literally make it any crazy ass game, and as long as you made a fun game with an Indian and some aliens, it'll sell well.

If this was cancelled because of fuckups, those fuckups came from the top. And for that, I wish beth execs a warm cozy stay in hell.

All I remember about this game is the girlfriend getting it.

I am not surprised. Though it was a while since I read into this sequel, it didn't seem faithful to the environment that made Prey suck you in. Loved Prey, but from what I know of Prey 2, alien investigator story didn't seem to be what I wanted from the sequel. Unless they scrapped that and had gone with something else, than I stand corrected.

Prey Forever will come out one day, I am sure.

I am not surprised. Though it was a while since I read into this sequel, it didn't seem faithful to the environment that made Prey suck you in. Loved Prey, but from what I know of Prey 2, alien investigator story didn't seem to be what I wanted from the sequel. Unless they scrapped that and had gone with something else, than I stand corrected.

Prey Forever will come out one day, I am sure.

The entire set up by Human Head Studios (who made Prey) sounded amazing to me.

The game was going to follow the story of a new character named Samuels who was aboard that flight that you saw in the first Prey.

He gets taken to the Alien homeworld and ends up becoming a "bounty hunter."

The main character from the first Prey was also going to be in the game (But you didn't play as him) .

It was all tied into the first game but was going to be a new experience, with an open world setting on the Alien world and they were going for a "Blade Runner'ish" type of aesthetic and look.

Also what some people might forget is that during development Bethseda tried to strong arm a buyout of Human Head Studios.

They told them they could have an extension to finish and polish the game and then they started to ask for a ton of changes and things, all while not giving the devs more money in order to do those changes and they also lapsed on the "extension" that they promised.

In turn HHS were bleeding money and their contract didn't allow them to work on anything else, with Bethseda not paying them anything they ended up going on strike. Bethseda froze them out until the contract expired and the rights for the game went back to Bethseda and HHS went their separate way to work on other games.

This was a few years ago, BEthseda then took the game and had Arkane studios (Dishonored devs) working on it. They started from scratch and used nothing HHS had done and then it fizzled out.

Never played the original - but have had it a while on my "when I get time" list. Sad to hear when something that sounds interesting is canceled.

They said it didn't meat quality standards more than an year ago. Somehow I know they didn't do shit to improve it during for all this time.

I remember a guy from human head demoing the back in E3 2008-2010 or so. Footage seemed like real gameplay and looked great.

I remember playing the original Prey demo a few years ago, and it hit my list of "wanna play games". When I got my Core 2 Duo in 2007, that was one of the first games played, and somehow, it dropped off in quality when you went beyond the ending in the demo, and I had no interest in playing it a second time through. I loved the Cherokee influence on the game.

What was also notable about the game is that during a Steam sale in 2009, the game was priced at $2.25 and quickly sold out. They were hoping to get more keys, but no. A few days later, the listing was removed.

Back