Ubisoft Financials - Watch Dogs Sells 9M

HardOCP News

[H] News
Watch Dogs sold nine million units? Holy cow! I guess that's the power of marketing because the game was definitely not that great.

Gross margin represented a record 78.1% of sales (€378.1 million) in the first half of 2014-15, up from 68.9% (€202.2 million) for the first six months of 2013-14. This sharp improvement reflects the positive impact of the success of Ubisoft's games and the increasing importance of the digital segment. Ubisoft ended the first half of 2014-15 with non-IFRS operating income of €24.2 million, a significant improvement on the €98.0 million operating loss reported for the same period of 2013-14.

This sharp improvement reflects the positive impact of the success of Ubisoft's games and the increasing importance of the digital segment

Pretty sure what it represents is the extreme power of huge marketing combined with bought reviews. Cause it sure as hell didn't represent a good game.

didnt they pushed it to release it in a window where there was no competition?

I thought it was a fun game, not a AAA by any remote means but that is because they never released the voice acting and character development DLC yet.

The aiming for the weapons and the driving are the only problems I had with the game. It was faster to get out and run to the objective.

Marketing always has and always will trump quality when it comes to one time purchase product.

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Timing, buying reviews, shills to post how good the game "is"... Etc... are all part of a complete marketing campaign. In this case it was with it.

People buy marketing, content is irrelevant...

Watch dogs was a bundled game with discreet graphics cards

So include those numbers

Also consider how quickly it went on sale

Not sure what Ubisoft is trying to do, but it is deceptive

My kid actually loves the game.

It's not that it's a horrible game, they just hyped it up to be something it wasn't.

Instead it was the basic Ubisoft formula like that Ubisoft the Game Review thing... i think this is it:

games.on.net/2014/06/ubisoft-game-the-review

Back