I need help!

xshaney

n00b
Should I get the Samsung 840 Pro or the Samsung 850 Pro?

I am planning on getting the 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, it will be ordered in newegg.com

What is your opinion?

I have a old computer EVGA 780i SLI motherboard

However I have a MSI Z87-GD65 motherboard sitting in my closet for a long time, I haven't gotten the chance to buy the new pc parts.

if you're curious to what pc I am planning on building with my MSI Z87-GD65 motherboard? Here is the list

Corsair Graphite Series 760T Full Tower
Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x 4GB)
WD black 4TB HDD
Corsair Hydro Series H110

My Current PC:

Intel Core Quad 2.4Ghz [on air]
8GB G.skill memory
EVGA 780i SLI Motherboard
2x xfx Radeon R7 265
950W Corsair Powersupply
Sound Blaster Z
2x 750GB HDD in Raid 0 [WD and Seagate] 1.5TB [1.3TB shown in windows]
Windows 8.1 Pro
and yes it does play my game at 40FPS [high setting] - 90FPS[low setting]

Last edited:
Get one 512GB Samsung 840 Pro. Forget RAID 0 for SSDs because it doesn't help them like it did for HDDs. The 850 Pro line is nice but has a premium cost that is just too high.

Is the price difference really that high for you? Locally the 840 Pro and 850 Pro are just off by less than 10%, with that I would get the 850 Pro.
I agree on getting a single larger drive over a RAID0.

Is the price difference really that high for you? Locally the 840 Pro and 850 Pro are just off by less than 10%, with that I would get the 850 Pro.
I agree on getting a single larger drive over a RAID0.

Hm, it's $290 vs $375 on amazon, which is 30% more for the 850. I was lazy and didn't check anywhere else.

the 850 pro I would have as a OS disk.
(I do and have)
then buy any other ssd as a secondary.
saving cost for a OS disk is like shooting oneself in the foot.

I bought my crucial m4 4 years ago and paid more back then for half the size than for my 256gb samsung 850pro.
and the 850 evo is coming soon also at the end of november.

Hm, it's $290 vs $375 on amazon, which is 30% more for the 850. I was lazy and didn't check anywhere else.

I see, with those prices I would go for the 840 Pro as well considering it is not really slower and will probably last forever like the 850 Pro.
I think the 850 EVO is worth waiting for right now, but got myself an 1TB 840 EVO a month ago as bulk drive to go along with my 840 Pro OS drive.
The price was at an all-time low.

What is wrong with raid 0 SSD? care to explain? My friend have 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB raid 0 on his maximus motherboard. He said that it does increased the write and the read to about 1 gbps and it is extremely faster than just ONE ssd alone. However I would rather hear yall opinion on why I should get a larger one instead of raid 0 what was the reason?

For synthetic test, sure two SSD's in Raid 0 will be faster. But in any real world scenario there is no performance increase.

What is wrong with raid 0 SSD? care to explain? My friend have 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB raid 0 on his maximus motherboard. He said that it does increased the write and the read to about 1 gbps and it is extremely faster than just ONE ssd alone. However I would rather hear yall opinion on why I should get a larger one instead of raid 0 what was the reason?

Because after a time, the effects of having TRIM disabled (due to RAID 0) become apparent.
While it is fast at first, it will eventually slow to the same speed of a single SSD, negating any performance increases to begin with.

Also, I think you mean 1GB/s, not 1Gbps (125MB/s). ;)

Apparently TRIM works with the right Intel chipset with the right drivers for RAID0.

But RAID0 benefits mainly sequential speed, something that basically only happens when you copy from one SSD to another.
While random performance is also affected, it only gets significant for high queue depths, which is uncommon in desktop workloads. And it can have the opposite effect.

At the same time, by going from 512GB to 256GB SSDs, you reduce the number of internal parallel NAND channels.
This is obvious when you look at the characteristics of the Crucial MX100 for example.

And last but not least you are increasing your failure rate by a factor of two.

Last edited:
^ You're right, some Intel chipsets do support this function.

Probably not worth running Raid 0 on the SSD's unless you are going to run benchmarks all day. On a different point you may have to update the BIOS for the motherboard to get the 4790K recognized as it's not supported out of the box with the original BIOS.

raid-0 more headache.
no real benefit with ssd unless you move big files a lot.
got my samsung 850 pro, calling it a day.
The Flash fast all I say.

DO NOTE!!! If you get the 840 which is TLC GET THE UPDATE! IT has fatal flaw where if any data is month old the read speeds drop to ultra sub hard drive speeds. The fix flashes the latest frimware and "rejuvenates" the drive.

Get an Crucial MX100 512gb and save your money toward another upgrade, you wont notice a difference in real world copared to more expensive ssd like 850pro.

You will notice a difference between the MX100 and 850 pro when they begin to fill up, the 850 pro is far better in steady state than the MX100.

Back