Need Help

dutnguye

2[H]4U
So i updated to OSX Yosemite last week on a Mac machine. Everything seems to be okay until today when i log on and there is an error message that home Home directory has been removed or deleted. When i go to finder there is nothing on the sidebar. When i click on Go to access Home, it has been Greyed out.

When i try to find Users profile in the Mac, it does no show anything. I even attempt to create another admin account but it does the same thing to the 2nd account.

I know my datas should still be intact in the Mac hard drive somwhere. I want to recover this data as it has a lot of pictures and i don't want to lose them.

Any ideas?

I would first boot to the recovery partition (Command+R or Option and select the recovery partition during boot) and run Disk Utility to check the drive. It's possible that there is a problem with your hard drive or the install borked something. Make sure you take a look at the S.M.A.R.T. status.

You can also try looking directly through the hard drives files in the Finder and see what's in the /Users folder. You might have to add your drives to the Finder, via the preferences, if you haven't already. You could also use the Finder's Go-> "Go To Folder" command and type /users

Keep in mind that you typically can't access the data in another user's folder from another user's account.

If you haven't been backing up regularly, as we both know you should, it's time to start thinking of a good backup strategy.

Last edited:
I itried
. disk utility
. Recovery and run permission restore
. hard drive is fine
. When i look into /users folder- nothing was there, my old account, new account, etc
. Go - Go to folder and look for users- not working either

I'm running out of ideas- when i look at the hard drive capacity i see that the data is still occupy there but i don't know how to access even log in as root.

Recovery partition, terminal, resetpassword, click on your user, reset permissions and ACLs.
Try that
disk utility only resets system permissions, ACLS/home folder permissions are reset for the user.

Back