Nation’s First “Craigslist Transaction Safe Zone” Created

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, this is actually a pretty damn good idea when you think about it.

While the vast majority of purchases made via Craigslist go down without a problem, those don’t make the news; it’s the rare case of people getting scammed or attacked that earns the headlines. In an effort to reduce the chance of those sorts of incidents, one Pennsylvania community has created what it claims is the nation’s first Craigslist Transaction Safe Zone.

Yes, we know that the police station parking lot has always been a good choice for Craigslist meetings, towns making it official is a good idea.

I always meet at a gas station or fast food restaurant, right around the entrance during the daytime. Ive never had an incident and I never will.

Glad to hear and this may have a positive impact to increasing Craigslist usage in that area.

Local gun range parking lot = even better choice.

I always meet at a gas station or fast food restaurant, right around the entrance during the daytime. Ive never had an incident and I never will.

Backalley, after midnight, red light district. If the person looks scared, the deal will be safe.

McDonald's. It's always busy, tons of witnesses and usually cameras too.

My house, because I'm not a cowering fear monger.

Also, I will pass on big ticket items in the seller won't let me come to their house. Especially if it's a car.

Also, I will pass on big ticket items in the seller won't let me come to their house. Especially if it's a car.

I was like this until someone took a swing at me in an attempt to steal a set of $20 computer speakers (well, and the rest of the contents in my house too probably). He just didn't realize he picked the wrong person to try and punch out. However, in hindsight I was damn lucky he wasn't armed or had a buddy hiding around the corner. The next Craigslist transaction I participated in (a few years later) happened in the parking lot of a bank.

When CL came about I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Free advertising to sell whatever.
IT was NO TIME before it was a den of thieves.
It is highly more likely you will run into a seller trying to scam you (in some way) than a honest, upfront seller just wanting to sell his car, boat, etc for a fair price without lying about it.

I have been contemplating some way of verifying sellers. A lot of scammers and low life looking to rip people off already have a criminal history. BLOCK these people.
Have all users register, with real name, picture, address etc so they can't HIDE. This will deter a lot of people that would pull a shady deal. If someone gets ripped off notify the police and give them the information concerning the crime.

It is highly more likely you will run into a seller trying to scam you (in some way) than a honest, upfront seller just wanting to sell his car, boat, etc for a fair price without lying about it.

I've had nothing but good luck and great deals from Craigslist - both the buying and the selling. This includes my car (purchase price of $16k from an individual), furniture, toilets (heh, yup), a 135 gallon fish tank, lawn mower... the list goes on. Get a feel for the seller, what they're selling, whether the price is reasonable or not and just walk away if you get any heebie-jeebies. I've always met either at gas stations for smaller items, or at the person's house for larger ones. Never had a problem.

I've had nothing but good luck and great deals from Craigslist - both the buying and the selling. This includes my car (purchase price of $16k from an individual), furniture, toilets (heh, yup), a 135 gallon fish tank, lawn mower... the list goes on. Get a feel for the seller, what they're selling, whether the price is reasonable or not and just walk away if you get any heebie-jeebies. I've always met either at gas stations for smaller items, or at the person's house for larger ones. Never had a problem.

Can't tell you how many times people have misrepresented something, bait and switched, flat out LIED, and ended up costing. (you time is valuable)

I have sworn off buying off CL, but I will sell because I am 100% forthcoming as possible, and ask people to call with any questions; nothing to hide.

But the issue is people have no problem lying through their teeth to you.
Once I was hunting a descent used pickup truck. Found one that looked descent on CL at a reasonable price, asked the sell a long list of questions; all promised good and to be no problems. A BIG concerning was RUST. The south is a dumping ground of rusted out vehicles from northern states.
I drive out to this guys house, and on inspection the truck (only 8 years old) is severely rusted. I told the guy "YOU told me this truck didn't have any rust on it!!"
He said "well, it don't look that bad!"
Wanted to punch that lying idiot in the face. 50 miles to drive out there and a Saturday shot.

But this kind of thing isn't spurious, it is typical for CL. Most of my friends have run into similar and won't touch CL anymore.

I had this idea YEARS AGO! I could never get an investor to my town to go with it though. Maybe now, I can get my town to have a "Safe Zone" for trading.

Same here.
I have had pretty good luck selling cars on CL. Usually projects I end up selling.
But I post nice pictures taken with my Nikon and then give great descriptions and ask for calls with any questions. I always ask a very fair price based on what it is really worth private party sale. Nothing to hide! I had to deal with clowns before that thought waving some cash in my face will make me come way off my price, I put them on the road back to clownville.

Over the last ~10 years I've bought a few thousand dollars worth of 70's-80's Vintage stereo components and speakers from Craigslist. I've actually never been burned, other than really small stuff that is expected like a speaker needing to be refoamed.

If anything, my problem is wishy-washy sellers. This is particularly frustrating when it's a good deal on something that I really want and they are taking their sweet time responding to my inquiries. It's like - I got the cash right here, do you want to fucking sell it or not?

I can see this "safe zone" being an interesting idea in some contexts. It might make it harder to straight-up rob someone, but if anything the increased anonymity is going to make it easier to scam people overall, not harder.

I've had zero issue with CL transactions. I used to use it profusely when I was furnishing a new apartment I moved into, or selling stuff because I needed cash. And I live near a city with high crime. Though in a few weird cases I called the meet at q public place, just in case.

Glad to hear and this may have a positive impact to increasing Craigslist usage in that area.

Local gun range parking lot = even better choice.

LOL!
Great idea. Come out wearing my shoulder holstered .357 magnum. They will think I'm a cop.

Back