PS4 Firmware Update Hit With Widespread Bug

HardOCP News

[H] News
I honestly don't know why Sony isn't in the masonry business because no one makes bricks like they do. :D

However, the update has been tainted by widespread reports that putting the system into standby mode (now dubbed "Rest Mode") prevents the console from reawakening. Both of the consoles in our office encountered the same issue. Bugs with YouTube functionality have also been reported.

good one steve.

and yeah, my ps4 has both of those problems.

They should do what asus does and have a rom backup, if something goes wrong you can just restore it back to factory. Guess consoles dont think that advanced.

Pretty sure I put mine in rest mode after the update and it restarted...but I can't say for certain..might of just turned if off like usual. No clue..Meh, I won't now for sure! :D

Mine does this now. Locks up repeatedly from standby. I hope they fix it soon. Not sure how this bug made it past quality control...

Come on Sony. You can do better.

Quality control on updates really seems to suck these days. MS amazingly still does a damn fine job, with their XB1 and Windows Updates. But even Windows Updates have caused a few bugs the last year or so.

I miss my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, etc. Remember when you just bought a device and it worked? No internet required, no updates, no patches to games? Ahhh the good old days... ;)

Games and consoles were also significantly less advanced.

Not that that's any excuse for shit like this and huge day one patches.

Seems like a silly bug that should've been caught with basic regression testing. For a company like Sony that's kind of embarrassing.

What a fucking joke this generation of consoles is. There's no games, just software updates.

Come on Sony. You can do better.

Quality control on updates really seems to suck these days. MS amazingly still does a damn fine job, with their XB1 and Windows Updates. But even Windows Updates have caused a few bugs the last year or so.

Yeah because they didnt brick a shit load of xbox one blu ray drives like a month ago with their update

This is how we know it's a true successor of the ps3. It's not a modern Sony console unless there a chance an update will brick your console.

I miss my Atari 2600, NES, SNES, etc. Remember when you just bought a device and it worked? No internet required, no updates, no patches to games? Ahhh the good old days... ;)

Ummm....so I guess you don't remember huh.....

How often did the rolling/garbled video issue happen when you put in a game cartridge?
I had all 3 atari 2600, NES, and SNES it happened atleast once or twice a week with the Atari and NES. The SNES rarely ever had that issue.

Or the random game freezing issue? That happened to me on all 3 systems.

Or maybe you were one of the select few that never had problems with game cartridges....

How often did the rolling/garbled video issue happen when you put in a game cartridge?
I had all 3 atari 2600, NES, and SNES it happened atleast once or twice a week with the Atari and NES. The SNES rarely ever had that issue.

Or maybe you were one of the select few that never had problems with game cartridges....

The good old days where when a game didn't work it was because you needed to take it out and blow on it, then put it back in. then slowly adjust the game left and right to get it just right for it to work.

The difference is that back then when buggy stuff was released you were stuck with the bug. There were games that were unplayable but couldn't be patches, other things had issues and they just tagged them in the manuals as "hidden features".

The good old days where when a game didn't work it was because you needed to take it out and blow on it, then put it back in. then slowly adjust the game left and right to get it just right for it to work.

The difference is that back then when buggy stuff was released you were stuck with the bug. There were games that were unplayable but couldn't be patches, other things had issues and they just tagged them in the manuals as "hidden features".

Agreed, plus a lot of people forget that those games were only enough code, audio, and graphics that would fit on 128mbit roms. Games are a bit more complicated now as is the hardware to run them.

Yes indeed...the good old days..when games like ET Happened..:D

I would argue that games and their consoles were finished and polished much more in the good old days than they are now. Patches allow for laziness and the shipping of unfinished products. So yes, the good old days.

Now cartridge hardware - that has nothing to do with patches. Yes that aspect of it sucked. But there are DVDs today - eliminating those issues altogether.

I stand by my statement - I miss the good old days of CDs, DVDs, games on physical media, and a world where most things didn't connect to the internet.

Agreed, plus a lot of people forget that those games were only enough code, audio, and graphics that would fit on 128mbit roms. Games are a bit more complicated now as is the hardware to run them.

yup although even then you weren't up to 128Mb till what Super NES or N64 time. Back then the only screw up as bad as anything today was ET ;)

Yes indeed...the good old days..when games like ET Happened..:D

clicked replay then stepped away for a few minutes before posting so I missed your post before my one above. And yet we both had the same thought about what happen back then lol

But yup, games like that happen when rushed and then couldn't be patched

This is why I ALWAYS wait for at least one bug fix after major releases for any PS console.

I would argue that games and their consoles were finished and polished much more in the good old days than they are now.

Considering the size and complexity of software then compared to now you may be correct. When todays smallest and cheapest devices can emulate these games with ease I don't know though it means that much that they were more polished.

You do know that that wasn't a software or hardware bug, right? It was because of dirty contacts.

Random freezing on those old consoles? Really.. I have had quite a few different copies of each of those systems as well as knew a lot of people with those systems, and this is the first time I have ever heard of that. Only thing I can think of that may cause that would be the contacts were really dirty and the carts were losing contact with the system.

The only cart based system I ever had that had any lockups was one specific N64. It overheated like crazy. I ended up taking it apart and modifying the cooling because of it. I am pretty sure that there was something wrong with that one copy of the system. After the cooling mod it never had the issue again.

This is why I ALWAYS wait for at least one bug fix after major releases for any PS console.

I have a better excuse: going thru all the PS3 games I amassed in the past three or four years before I even consider a 4, and even the Vita. That is among other financial goals I have going.

By then, that thing should be nice and patched, and plenty of games out for me to keep busy with.

Sounds like the Sony QA team needs to themselves go through QA. Sony, call the Microsoft QA team and ask for their help. :D

**disclosure: I don't own any game console(s) anymore, so I am not a [insert brand] fanboi.

I suppose they saw what a bang up job the Drive club developers were doing and thought they could do it better.

This just further proves that iMacs are superior because they never get updates that have bugs in them and are always infinitely better because they just work as the ultimate gaming platform. :p

Seems like a silly bug that should've been caught with basic regression testing. For a company like Sony that's kind of embarrassing.

Sony invited everyone to their beta program and didn't tell them.

Back