Police Use DNA From Toilet To Catch Burglary Suspect

HardOCP News

[H] News
This guy definitely deserves the Stupid Criminal of the Day award.

KOAT reports investigators tied Ramon Herrera to the September burglary using DNA left on a toilet. Police say the 33-year-old relieved himself while taking $250,000 worth of jewelry from a home while the owners were on vacation, but he didn't flush. Police say Herrera also took a Coke from the fridge, drank it and left the can along with his DNA.

He pissed on that clean get away. He didn't flush but he did flush something, his freedom, right down the toilet.

How did they have his DNA on file to match it up though? Wondering why they didn't mention that part.

He pissed on that clean get away. He didn't flush but he did flush something, his freedom, right down the toilet.

How did they have his DNA on file to match it up though? Wondering why they didn't mention that part.
They probably didn't. He was probably arrested as a suspect, and then they took a DNA sample. That is how it usually works.

Figures they'll run DNA to find out who broke into some richie rich house, but my place gets broken into and the cops just take a report and shrug.

Am I the only one who has ever "thought about" putting arsenic in my gel cap meds I no longer take and leave them in the medicine cabinet when I leave the house for extended amounts of times when I lived in the city and had my old apartment burglarized twice a week?

Am I the only one who has ever "thought about" putting arsenic in my gel cap meds I no longer take and leave them in the medicine cabinet when I leave the house for extended amounts of times when I lived in the city and had my old apartment burglarized twice a week?

Do the phrases criminally negligent homicide and manslaughter mean anything to you? ;)

This doesn't account for the possibility that the person who steals the pulls is not the one who ingests them, which is the most likely outcome i believe.
But besides that, on an even more basic level, you do not deserve the right to murder someone because they steal from you.
You most likely have some serious mental issues you have not tried to work on yet.

You ate not perfect, neither am I, when I experience extremes in emotion I try to evaluate what caused them, and address it.

Figures they'll run DNA to find out who broke into some richie rich house, but my place gets broken into and the cops just take a report and shrug.

Pretty much this right here. Same thing has happened to me multiple times.

This doesn't account for the possibility that the person who steals the pulls is not the one who ingests them, which is the most likely outcome i believe.
But besides that, on an even more basic level, you do not deserve the right to murder someone because they steal from you.
You most likely have some serious mental issues you have not tried to work on yet.

You ate not perfect, neither am I, when I experience extremes in emotion I try to evaluate what caused them, and address it.

Would I be putting a pill in someone's mouth and forcing them to swallow?
If I broke into a pharmacy, stole oxyies and overdosed should THEY be responsible for homicide or manslaughter? Should my family be able to sue in a wrongful death lawsuit?
So little is done to protect victims yet we, as a society go out of our way to protect criminals. The rich get protected, they find justice, but middle class and lower are expected to bend over and take it.
If said burglar broke into my house why I was there and shot and killed him, is that murder in your mind as well? Honestly, with my brother's criminal past, had someone shot and killed HIM I couldn't hold it against them.

Considering the cost of DNA testing, I find it difficult to justify using it for burglary cases, even if it is over $250,000 in jewelry.

Would I be putting a pill in someone's mouth and forcing them to swallow?
If I broke into a pharmacy, stole oxyies and overdosed should THEY be responsible for homicide or manslaughter? Should my family be able to sue in a wrongful death lawsuit?
So little is done to protect victims yet we, as a society go out of our way to protect criminals. The rich get protected, they find justice, but middle class and lower are expected to bend over and take it.
If said burglar broke into my house why I was there and shot and killed him, is that murder in your mind as well? Honestly, with my brother's criminal past, had someone shot and killed HIM I couldn't hold it against them.

So much wrong here.

First of all you are comparing a pharmacy filled with legitimate untampered drugs while on the other hand you talk about purposely tampering with a prescription bottle.

#2 Shooting and killing someone who has broken into your house would likely be a justified use of force. Being away from home and leaving behind a tampered prescription bottle to harm an intruder that is NOT posing a threat to your safety is NOT the same thing.

Bullshit. If you try to steal from me I could give less than a fk if you die. IMO property theft isone of the lowest ccrimes you can commit. If you steal my money i literally can't eat.

Regardless of if you feel I have that right or not, try to steal from me and see what happens... your selective judgement and objective morality doesn't mean a thing to me.

It's more worth the expense of a DNA test (which is expensive) when there's a larger dollar value in things stolen. So if you wanna DNA thing done on burglars, buy a lot of extremely expensive objects to fill your place and it'll happen. Go for mrillions of dollar paintings and priceless artifacts or whatever.

So much wrong here.

First of all you are comparing a pharmacy filled with legitimate untampered drugs while on the other hand you talk about purposely tampering with a prescription bottle.

#2 Shooting and killing someone who has broken into your house would likely be a justified use of force. Being away from home and leaving behind a tampered prescription bottle to harm an intruder that is NOT posing a threat to your safety is NOT the same thing.

You're looking at this totally wrong.
You're not killing anyone, you're providing means to an assisted suicide. You're not telling anyone to take pills, THEY are making the choice to.
We can call it the Kevorkian defense!
Better yet, with the interest the police show in solving your burglary case, you can just play ignorant and let them come to the conclusion there was another party that tampered with the meds.

Reminds me of that lady that poisoned Excedrin caps back in the mid 80's (?? I think). She did multiple bottles/stores to cover up one particular target's death. Multiple people died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Nickell

Not related to the Chicago Tylenol murders.

If he's been convicted before, his DNA is in the system.

Did they steel $250,000+ worth of goods from your place? I didn't think so. They are probably grossly exaggerating, but you get the point. Also, if you had $250k+ worth of goods then you'd be a 'richie rich', too.

Just sayin'!

So much wrong here.

What about booby trapping your house with nails, tar, pre-sawn floor boards, hot irons, tool chests, bowling balls, paint cans, ice, fireworks, bricks, and one tarantula?

... How a seemingly innocent 8-year old became one of the countries most notorious serial killers. Known for his unique trap murders, what started as an attempt to protect his home from the burglary group known as the "wet bandits" turned into an obsession that lasted nearly 20 years. The story of Kevin McCallister, next on American Justice.

We've got to Kickstart this movie!

It's more worth the expense of a DNA test (which is expensive) when there's a larger dollar value in things stolen. So if you wanna DNA thing done on burglars, buy a lot of extremely expensive objects to fill your place and it'll happen. Go for mrillions of dollar paintings and priceless artifacts or whatever.

More worth the expense, eh?
Are the owners of the burglarized property going to pay for the tests?
Are the cops going to keep a portion of any valuables recovered to pay for the tests?
Because I've never heard of a police department operating in such a fashion.

Did they steel $250,000+ worth of goods from your place? I didn't think so. They are probably grossly exaggerating, but you get the point. Also, if you had $250k+ worth of goods then you'd be a 'richie rich', too.

Just sayin'!

So I am entitled to less vigorous police protection because I am less wealthy? Interesting concept there.

So much wrong here.

I don't think he gets it.

A good example of what he meant above would be.

Say the criminal took those pills left them in a coat pocket then went home. Then his 5 year old kid who has nothing to do with the crime finds them and injested them.

You just killed an innocent person!

So I am entitled to less vigorous police protection because I am less wealthy? Interesting concept there.

lol what planet have you been living on this is how the world works.

i'm not saying its right its been like this forever. Rich people get perks us commoners do not get.

, but he didn't flush.

This alone should get him jailed. I'm fucking sick and tired of all you dirty filthy bastards who use a public restroom and don't flush because... I don't give a fuck for your reason. The reason why a men's room always smells like piss? Its not because too many people miss, it's because of all that yellow in the urinals and stalls!

This alone should get him jailed. I'm fucking sick and tired of all you dirty filthy bastards who use a public restroom and don't flush because... I don't give a fuck for your reason. The reason why a men's room always smells like piss? Its not because too many people miss, it's because of all that yellow in the urinals and stalls!

Oh the nerve of all those people.....OMG....

More worth the expense, eh?
Are the owners of the burglarized property going to pay for the tests?
Are the cops going to keep a portion of any valuables recovered to pay for the tests?
Because I've never heard of a police department operating in such a fashion.

Stop being upset because you're not wealthy. No one is stopping you from becoming successful and owning something that's deserving of limited police resouces. Instead of complaining in a computer hardware forum about the injustice of your lack of valuable objects, go do something constructive that earns wealth so you can afford things of value that are worth an investigation when they're stolen. If not, then don't be upset when your dirty socks disapper from the washing machine that's in the shared laundry room at the crappy apartment complex you live in. Sheesh, some people.

If he's been convicted before, his DNA is in the system.
Not all convictions get this treatment. If I'm not mistaken only rare case get your DNA put in the system. Like breaking restraining orders and raping people.

They probably didn't. He was probably arrested as a suspect, and then they took a DNA sample. That is how it usually works.
How did they know he was a suspect without his DNA pointing to him?

Well, he's right, that type of stuff is primitive and nasty. That said I love those automatic flushers newer bathrooms have now.

A lot (not all by any means) men are disgusting about hygeine and keeping the places they're at clean. That's never gonna change. After hearing about the lack of washing hands after peeing or whatever, I refuse to attend any of the office potlucks. You may as well go lick everyone's bits if you're gonna eat potluck food because you just don't ever know.

A lot (not all by any means) men are disgusting about hygeine and keeping the places they're at clean. That's never gonna change. After hearing about the lack of washing hands after peeing or whatever, I refuse to attend any of the office potlucks. You may as well go lick everyone's bits if you're gonna eat potluck food because you just don't ever know.
I've heard it said quite a few times that women's bathrooms were dirtier than the men's bathrooms. I think some humans (not gender specific) just be nasty creatures.

Makes me want to Howie Mandel everyone.

I've heard it said quite a few times that women's bathrooms were dirtier than the men's bathrooms. I think some humans (not gender specific) just be nasty creatures.

Makes me want to Howie Mandel everyone.

I don't know if that's true or not. It's not like I go in compare restrooms everywhere I go just to see which ones are more gross. Someone should do a survey or something about that.

Still though, after finding out about the hand washing thing, I have a very hard time accepting homemade food. You just don't know who's...cells are in what you're eating or if those cells got on the food after it was cooked to a safe temperature. YUCK!

I don't know if that's true or not. It's not like I go in compare restrooms everywhere I go just to see which ones are more gross. Someone should do a survey or something about that.

Still though, after finding out about the hand washing thing, I have a very hard time accepting homemade food. You just don't know who's...cells are in what you're eating or if those cells got on the food after it was cooked to a safe temperature. YUCK!

Just think of it as good exercise for your immune system.

I don't think he gets it.

A good example of what he meant above would be.

Say the criminal took those pills left them in a coat pocket then went home. Then his 5 year old kid who has nothing to do with the crime finds them and injested them.

You just killed an innocent person!

No YOU didn't.
A neglectful parent did because the 5 year old kid is dying either way, arsenic or oxies be it poison or overdose.

Back