970/980 on x58 Motherboard

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
So, my R9 290 doesn't play as nice as I'd like with my x58 board. Specifically the 0xA0000001 BSOD which is an incompatibility issue. Many users have experienced the issue. I've done all I can to try it fix (believe me), so no need to make this into a 'fix my issue thread'.

I want to swap out the 290 for a 970, but I'm just wondering if any x58 users have any issues with the 970 as well. No point in exchanging a problem for a problem.

Thanks.

hmmm, is this a common problem with x58 and the 290 or mobo specific?

Didn't have any problems with crossfire 290x's and now sli 980's. The 980's did take a bios setting change to get it working without locking up.

Great, mine doesn't. Saying yours works does not help me any way. This is about the 970/980.

MSI X58 Pro-E, MSI 970 Gaming 4G works fine on my board.

Edit: I have to admit some of these post made me laugh.

Seen this over at OCN. Not sure if you tried it or not.

best fix so far...
(Went 1 month without a blue screen) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to hide)
Step 1: Download and install the latest ati graphic driver.AND DON'T TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_.

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. Or,

expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

There is a problem on X58 boards with the GTX 970 and 980s but it's fixable with a little troubleshooting. You sound just like the guy that can fix that type of issue based on the fact that you've tried quite a bit already to fix the 290.

I've seen some threads where people ran into some kind of issue and had to adjust some memory settings in the bios and other threads where a motherboard bios update was required. Otherwise the 2 geforce cards work fine from what I've seen.

Sorry for the bump, but is anyone else having problems with S3 sleep on their GTX 970+x58 rigs? I have an EVGA x58 FTW3 and my Gigabyte GV-N970IXOC-4GD fails to display video after resuming my PC. I've thought it was the 970 at first but I've ruled that out since it works perfectly fine in a friend's computer, and I've tried the fix Blazemore posted which didn't have any effect. I've also tried reinstalling Windows 7 but that didn't help either. Hibernation still works fine, but it's kinda painful to have a 24 GB blob gobbling up space on my SSD (not to mention the wait time on resume x_x).

I'm completely stumped. If anyone has encountered this issue and has/hasn't found a fix for it, please let me know!

Last edited:
Back