FBI Created Fake Web Page To Nab Bomb-Threat Suspect

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only did the FBI make a fake web page to catch a bomb-threat suspect, they made the fake page look like the Seattle Times. For the full story, here's a link to the real Seattle Times website (trust us).

The FBI in Seattle created a fake news story on a bogus Seattle Times web page to plant software in the computer of a suspect in a series of bomb threats to Lacey’s Timberline High School in 2007, according to documents obtained by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) in San Francisco.

so what's the moral of the story? Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. or Beware of ClickBait.

surprise surprise...

wonder how many other people happened to click on the links as well...

You would think the news would be happy a domestic terrorist was captured, till you realize its the news, and the last thing they want is a bomber caught, it means less news for them to run

I'm sure they'll use this to justify more of the same, and the won't stop until it reaches total "Big Bro" status.

We caught one! See, it works! Let's do a nationwide rollout now. We have proof that it works!

No? Think of the children who's lives were saved by this.

Still no? Damn. Plan B time.

It's not as bad as it sounds, at least they obtained a warrant. It was a link in an email sent directly to the suspect. Although, I'm not sure why they didn't just ask myspace to hand over his ip address for making bomb threats. It wasn't a publicly clickable article spreading malware like the snippet suggests.

We were just talking about something similar in an ethics course, about a fake Facebook page setup to nab drug dealers (link). I think, regardless of which side of the ethics fence you fall on, you can't argue against the efficacy of this sort of baiting.

Perhaps that is the real danger; because it is so effective, it's difficult to take it completely off the table. It's kind of like drones. Nobody universally likes the idea, but when it's a robot, instead of your son or daughter, flying over hostile country, you can understand it's use.

I bet the suspect love's his allah snackbars with screaming at the top of his lungs

We were just talking about something similar in an ethics course, about a fake Facebook page setup to nab drug dealers (link). I think, regardless of which side of the ethics fence you fall on, you can't argue against the efficacy of this sort of baiting.

Perhaps that is the real danger; because it is so effective, it's difficult to take it completely off the table. It's kind of like drones. Nobody universally likes the idea, but when it's a robot, instead of your son or daughter, flying over hostile country, you can understand it's use.

This kind of clear reasoning is not allowed..

Rabble rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!

Back