Call of Duty Pre-Order Declining Year Over Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
While I personally think the latest installment in the franchise looks interesting, the fact that they are releasing a new CoD game every year probably isn't helping sales very much.

Advanced Warfare is now pacing almost 40 percent behind last year's Ghosts and almost 70 percent behind 2012's Black Ops 2," the analysts note. "We continue to believe CoD will be down meaningfully vs. last year. With the franchise facing two consecutive significant year on year declines in sales, we think it is prudent to assume it has peaked.

Two reasons (for me, anyway) - it looks good, but in previous versions there just hasn't been a whole lot of difference. Same thing, different maps. Second - I am done pre-ordering. Been promised a lot, been given a little. Games have been hyped up, but under delivering for a while. I wait for some solid gamer reviews before I bite. Saved me from some disasters.

If it's a great game, I'll buy it. But, I won't pre-order it.

As Ur_Mom stated, people are starting to distrust pre-orders.

Too many games have promised the moon and delivered a pile of shit.

CoD is essentially releasing content packs every year. It's the same game otherwise.
If people know this, why pre-order?

They've gone off the rails with too many new releases and DLC packs that are just more of the same. As soon as any kind of community develops, they splinter it with more and more DLC or kill it off entirely with another sequel.
Plus, at some point every genre starts to get stale and decline. The "Michael Bay shooter" can only be rehashed so many times.

Not sure if this is actually a reflection on CoD as much as a reflection on pre-order in general. I think enough people have been burned by half finished games at release that the market as a whole is shifting to a wait and see release. CoD still puts up massive total sales numbers. So the idea that a shifting trend in pre-orders is a 1 to 1 reflection in the outlook of a game in general.

They should be mailing it in three or four times a year.

That could work on all kinds of products, FIFA 2015 1Q, FIFA 2015 2Q, FIFA 2015 3Q, FIFA 2015 4Q, FIFA 2015 Earnings Conference Edition.

Four Kawadoodys every single year each one with slightly less content and more DLC than the previous one.

If companies are willing to take the time to mail it in hard enough, often enough, the septic tank just the start for how far down the industry could go.

------

Pre orders are declining for games in general because there's less and less of the fucking game in the box and more and more of the game for sale later. More of us are waiting for the GOTY editions of these DLC frameworks to show up for sale with the ENTIRE GAME for one non-idiotic price.

They should be mailing it in three or four times a year.

That could work on all kinds of products, FIFA 2015 1Q, FIFA 2015 2Q, FIFA 2015 3Q, FIFA 2015 4Q, FIFA 2015 Earnings Conference Edition.

Four Kawadoodys every single year each one with slightly less content and more DLC than the previous one.

If companies are willing to take the time to mail it in hard enough, often enough, the septic tank just the start for how far down the industry could go.

------

Pre orders are declining for games in general because there's less and less of the fucking game in the box and more and more of the game for sale later. More of us are waiting for the GOTY editions of these DLC frameworks to show up for sale with the ENTIRE GAME for one non-idiotic price.
I hole heartedly agree with you're whole post...
On a side note I feel like most games publishers and Devs are selling us 1/3 or half a game slapped with a full retail game price... It's almost as if we're playing and paying for a Demo that's part of a game still in Beta.
Hey kids buy our new demo of the game you've been waiting for ... It'll only cost you 49.99 sure it'll be buggy , still in closed beta and incomplete but on release day we'll fix some of those bugs and for an additional 2 X charge over the next year or two well sell you the remaining content that we are unable to deliverer to you now... common it's a deal just for an additional low charge of 9.99 . Oh and don't forget to ask you parents or spouse for permission before you buy.

yearly release cycles are never a good thing for any game...especially one that has been doing this for the past 10 years straight...surprised it's taken this long for people to finally wise up

Yea, agree on the DLC. Can't stand it. Especially day 1 DLC or soon after release.

Sell a game and have DLC free. Otherwise, save it for the next year release. Otherwise, it's not a full game.

Game - $60. 4 DLC packs at $20 a piece - another $80. So, $140 for a single game with 4 DLC's. Season pass - $30,40. Still a good $90-100 total. I can see why they do it. People love that shit. Still, not fun as a gamer. You don't have it - you don't have the complete game. You do have it - DLC maps don't have as many players.

Call of Oh God Not That Shit Again peaked with Modern Warfare (2007).

1. Because charging people for the same Madden game as last year with fresh rosters and one or two minor updates works so well it should work with what should be a $20 DLC pack for COD right?
2. Everyone who is tired of getting burned by half-assed half finished pre-ordered games raise your hands.

There you go!
Wait... Only 40% behind last year's COD? I thought it would have been at least 60%......

The lag fest of black ops pooh is what made me stop buying this. Plus the amount of cheating that goes on. I used to play on xbox360 and the leaderboards and other aspects of the game are hacked usually on the first day. It makes the game no fun when people cheat, or the game cheats for them and gives you fake lag because you have such a great connection.

Modern Combat: 85% shooting, 15% cut scene. Replayable dozens of times just trying out new weapons.

Ghosts: 10% shooting, 10% quick-time event or on-rails portion, 10% running from one cutscene to the next 'observing shit blow up really good...but not really', 70% cutscene. If you finish it, you'll never got back for a second taste.

.....or people are just desperate to get back to World War 2 shooters, one or the other.....

A new version every year is just a cash-in. They've all melded-together in my mind at this point, I don't even know the order they came out anymore. I gave up playing them ages ago.

A new version every year is just a cash-in. They've all melded-together in my mind at this point, I don't even know the order they came out anymore. I gave up playing them ages ago.

No seriously, I actually bought Battlefield 4 because I confused the Battlefield and Call of Duty series. I bought Battlefield 4 just to try and play it to find out that it was actually the Call of Duty series I used to like. Damn.

The lag fest of black ops pooh is what made me stop buying this. Plus the amount of cheating that goes on. I used to play on xbox360 and the leaderboards and other aspects of the game are hacked usually on the first day. It makes the game no fun when people cheat, or the game cheats for them and gives you fake lag because you have such a great connection.

Black Ops 2 was good. Ghosts was complete trash. I'll be waiting on Treyarch's game next year, they have been making much better games than that trash Activision and w/e other crap studios are putting out.

This.

No more dedicated servers is what killed it for me. Black Ops was the last one I enjoyed. BO 2 was a waste of money. Goodbye CoD.

ByefqqKIQAA-Vp8.png:large

I think this pretty much sums it up. The game became a twitch shooter.

They killed it themselves for sure. They took a great concept and churned out a classic (CoD:MW a.ka. COD4). And then nearly made a great sequal with MW2. And then made a horrid and pathetic mug ridden peice of shit that is MW3. Combine this with segregated player base with paid DLC and less and less comunity features like MODing and Dedicted servers etc. and you get this.... death of a once good game. I want CoD to die. And i love the game. I've wasted a lot of hours since CoD4 Multi Player Public Beta. *sigh* great memories.

Good, hope this is a sign for Activision to stop releasing the same old shit every year. I understand its a big popular franchise and they intend to milk it for all its worth, but its just boring to see the same old game labelled as "new" and "innovate" the franchise.

System Requirements went way up over the years along with the Bad Economy going to says BLOPS was the best or the Peak of all COD series.

This is the problem with online multiplayer gaming, once a friend buys the new game and stops playing the old one you have to do the same. Hence the annual COD manages to keep on rolling. They will keep doing it until it stops making enough money. So even tho sales are dropping its probably still making them a shed load of cash.

Back