Best Fan controller?

Squall_Rinoa89

Limp Gawd
Well i'm my opinion the fans I have aren't doing there best at cooling in my system hooked up to Molex. Maybe I have higher expectations then they're doing but i'm thinking on buying a fan controller. Anyone have any Suggestions?

A fan controller's purpose is to control fan speed. It can only decrease fan speed or shut them off. It won't change maximum fan performance. If you want better cooling from your fans, get better fans.

A fan controller's purpose is to control fan speed. It can only decrease fan speed or shut them off. It won't change maximum fan performance. If you want better cooling from your fans, get better fans.

^ definitively this..

what fans are you using and case?... case design its very important..

If you want to get better performing fans, replace the 120s and 140s with Delta fans. Something at 3000+ RPM. The highest performing 200mm fans that I can find are the NZXT FN-200RB.

I use motherboard PWM control signal for CPU and case fans and set the curve with motherboard's fan software for fans. Sometimes I also use the PWM signal from graphics card for fans supplying it's airflow. This allows the case fans to automatically slow down when system is idling or under low load, and speed up as airflow demands increase .. the same way CPU cooler fans and GPU cooler fans do. Seems the sensible way to go. If it's good enough for CPUs and GPUs, surely it's good for case fans too.

If you want to get better performing fans, replace the 120s and 140s with Delta fans. Something at 3000+ RPM. The highest performing 200mm fans that I can find are the NZXT FN-200RB.

Hmmmm may have to think on doing those later when these die. Appreciate the heads up tho and the advice. Wallet at this second is kinda screaming as im trying to find a good middle ground on everything. I work retail so christmas coming up is a blessing in disguise. BTW I totally missed those when I was searching for fans about 3 weeks ago >.< Would have went with those instead of the coolermaster ones.

I use motherboard PWM control signal for CPU and case fans and set the curve with motherboard's fan software for fans. Sometimes I also use the PWM signal from graphics card for fans supplying it's airflow. This allows the case fans to automatically slow down when system is idling or under low load, and speed up as airflow demands increase .. the same way CPU cooler fans and GPU cooler fans do. Seems the sensible way to go. If it's good enough for CPUs and GPUs, surely it's good for case fans too.

Well, I have a lot of 200mm fans and 5 PWM fan controllers.

I have yet to find 200mm fans with PWM unfortunately or they would be hooked up to my motherboard. I'm actually trying to now get PWM fans that I can use with my motherboard but it ONLY takes 4pin PWM fan headers so it leaves me a lot to be desired with little to no room with the 200's. I could go I suppose to many 140's but considering 200mm's are quieter, i'm trying to balance quite and performance. The case I had before had a bunch of 120mm's and omg.. was LOUD.

Damned if I do, and damned if I dont. pretty much the only ones on PWM is the 140mm and the 2 120's that sit on my cooler. None of the rest are 4pins.

Well i'm my opinion the fans I have aren't doing there best at cooling in my system hooked up to Molex. Maybe I have higher expectations then they're doing but i'm thinking on buying a fan controller. Anyone have any Suggestions?

Not sure but I think your Asus motherboard can voltage control non-PWM fans.this is mine.

Why are you still looking at fan controllers? Thought it was made clear that if you're only concerned about maximum cooling you should ignore fan controllers. All they do is slow down your fans. So if you have any, bypass them, ignore them or just throw them out.

Just get the fastest fans you can find, connect them all to molex and run them at max voltage and max speed - simple.

If you have to do that for reasonable temps you're doing something wrong. I haven't used high speed fans in a while that would annoy the hell out of me

If you have to do that for reasonable temps you're doing something wrong. I haven't used high speed fans in a while that would annoy the hell out of me

Well, looking at breaking fully into 4.4GHz and using air to do so.. going to then try and find a way to break into 4.6 or higher with my i5 4690K.

While temps on idle aren't to bad 43C, not sure on gaming so figured id try and maximize cooling.

Gotcha tho on that part with the fan controller... so that's not an option.

You do realize your processor's maximum safe operating temperature is something like 105 C, right? 43 is nothing.

Overvolting kills processors. High temps, not so much. Unless it's excessive overheating (beyond safe operating temperature, like 140+ C).

Overvolting kills processors. High temps, not so much. Unless it's excessive overheating (beyond safe operating temperature, like 140+ C).

Overvolting doesn't really kill processors unless you go crazy with the voltage.

That being said, a processor running at stock speeds and stock voltage while running at max temp will give out a lot sooner than an overclocked, overvolted processor running at a very cool temperature.

Overvolting doesn't really kill processors unless you go crazy with the voltage.

That being said, a processor running at stock speeds and stock voltage while running at max temp will give out a lot sooner than an overclocked, overvolted processor running at a very cool temperature.

Um, no. That's not how it works.

Voltage, regardless of level, will damage components. Even at stock voltage, you are damaging the CPU while it's on. More Voltage = More Damage. Heat, on the other hand, can only cause damage once it breaks a certain threshold. Most chips have ratings on that threshold.

I'd rather a chip running at 80c at 1v, then one running at 65c at 1.5v.

Um, no. That's not how it works.

Voltage, regardless of level, will damage components. Even at stock voltage, you are damaging the CPU while it's on. More Voltage = More Damage. Heat, on the other hand, can only cause damage once it breaks a certain threshold. Most chips have ratings on that threshold.

I'd rather a chip running at 80c at 1v, then one running at 65c at 1.5v.

It may "wear" faster if running at a slightly higher than stock voltage, but unless you are planning on having the same CPU for 25-30 years it doesn't really matter.

And 1.5v is in my opinion in the crazy high voltage range which I mentioned in my first reply.

Just because a chip is rated to a certain temp, doesn't mean it is going to last if it is run at that temp all the time.

Also, if you look up the rated VID range for most CPUs, it is way higher than pretty much all those CPUs come set at. for example, the stock VID range on a 4930k is 0.6 - 1.35.

So must I run my CPU at 0.6v to keep from "damaging" it?

The OP's latest requirement is to "get the maximum life <from his CPU>" hence the discussion focusing on voltages rather than high temps, because it's simply a fact that higher voltages go against this requirement. But given the OP's initial objective of enhancing cooling via fan controllers didn't make sense, and requirements keep changing, it's unclear what he really wants.

Back