List of 64-bit required Windows games

ZLoth

Gawd
Looking over the requirements for Assassin's Creed: Unity, one of the requirements is a 64-bit Windows 7/8 operating system. The 32-bit version of windows won't cut it. So, is there a list of 64-bit only games?

Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 15
Galactic Civilation 3
Landmark
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
NBA 2K15
Ryse: Son of Rome
StarCitizen
TitanFall
Watch Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order

It would seem weird to require a 64-bit operating system without shipping a 64-bit executable, so assumably, yes.

BF4 also has 32-bit executable so it doesn't exactly require 64-bit OS/hardware.

The only one on the list I've played is Wolfenstein, and I noticed the executable gets installed in the Program Files (x86) folder (unlike my other 64-bit applications). The file name is WolfNewOrder_x64.exe; however, so seems that it must be 64-bit.

The requirement, even though it is a 32bit executable, has more to do with virtual memory managment: http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

This limitation of only 2GB split between kernel and User mode in 32bits is not even close to an issue as on now with 64bits; and shouldn't be for a good long while. LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE does not make it better either with a 32bit OS-it can make it worse. So, the game requires 64bits due to memory management, but yet is not a 64bit executable. If it is 64bit that is a good thing due to access to all registers, memory managment, et al that is provided by that.

To see if it is truly a 64bit executable use System Monitor. Which will inform you that is it 64bit by not having the (32bit) next to the executable.

BF4 also has 32-bit executable so it doesn't exactly require 64-bit OS/hardware.

Acrtually it sort of does, it is a 64bit, even though it is in the x86 folder and has that notation for the very reason of LARGE_ADDRESS with at least Windows Vista requirement (WINDOWS VISTA SP2 32-BIT (WITH KB971512 PLATFORM UPDATE). Check with System Monitor, it is not 32bit with 64bit OS; and they noted this during the announcement of it. That games will start to need full access to the hardware, which I think they mentioned in BF3 when talking of that version of the Frostbite engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Acrtually it sort of does, it is a 64bit, even though it is in the x86 folder and has that notation for the very reason of LARGE_ADDRESS with at least Windows Vista requirement (WINDOWS VISTA SP2 32-BIT (WITH KB971512 PLATFORM UPDATE). Check with System Monitor, it is not 32bit with 64bit OS; and they noted this during the announcement of it. That games will start to need full access to the hardware, which I think they mentioned in BF3 when talking of that version of the Frostbite engine.

I believe all Steam games get installed to the x86 folder, but it seems this doesn't prevent them from including x64 executables. Just checked Wolfenstein New Order and it is definitely 64-bit in System Monitor. RAGE had optional x64 exe, so I imagine Evil Within and DOOM4 must be 64-bit as well.

I dont get the big deal I've been running 64-bit since I was a kid

Original-Nintendo-64.jpg

If you are still running 32 bit at this point and time its very doubtful your rig can run current gen games with a good experience.
Indeed. If you have purchased a consumer-level CPU anytime in the past 10 years then you're on 64-bit. It's your own fault if you choose to install a 32-bit OS over a 64-bit OS.

Has anyone shown any performance different between games that do use 64bit?

Has anyone shown any performance different between games that do use 64bit?

That's not really the point. The main issue is memory addressing. With 32bit you are limiting yourself to 4 gigs of system memory. Many next gen games today use close if not more than that in their processes. This doesn't include the OS overhead. If you are in any way serious about PC gaming then 32 bit is simply not acceptable.

its silly so many games cant work decent on minimum settings even on 32 bit.. i can understand playing in full hd maxed u would need a 64bit config.. its so annoying not like upgrading is pain either u must do a full install... blah and might aswell buy new cpu and ram to be level with the os u are on... all this for some silly games

You're pulling teeth for no reason...

If the game is multiplatform on PS4 and/or XBONE, the game is going to be programmed and compiled for 64-bit. There is no way around it, otherwise developers wouldn't be able to make use of the 5GB+ of available unified memory on the consoles. If the game assets require that much memory on consoles, it will require at least that much memory on PC.

It's really about time that gaming and software developers should release software that requires 64 bit OS's only, I don't really see a point of a 32 bit OS anymore especially that most modern machines already have more than 4GB and I don't see the advantage of using a 32 bit over a 64 bit OS.

Back