Happy 10th Birthday Ubuntu, Canonical Releases Utopic Unicorn

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are expecting fireworks and Champagne, you are out of luck. Canonical celebrated the ten year anniversary of Ubuntu by releasing a new version, 14.10, also known as Utopic Unicorn.

If you’d like to try out Ubuntu 14.10 for yourself, you can head on over to the release page, and pick out whichever flavor best suits your needs.

And here I thought they were going to celebrate their 10th by making an even more terrible UI.

It's Ubuntu.....they're not having birthdays anymore as Shuttleworth decided to recreate the birthday server from scratch. haha but seriously they love reinventing the wheel (MIR) and still haven't made unity worth the headaches.

I installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 yesterday. The very first thing it did was crash.

Still happy with it though.

"Utopic Unicorn.". Fictional animal = success on the desktop is a fictional thing, too. :D

Ubuntu used to be great. Then, I switched to Mint (fork? of Ubuntu). Straight Debian is great, too. For web servers or any other server, I go with Red Hat/CentOS.

The only way they could do that is by cloning Windows 8. :cool:

I don't know, I think Gnome 3 / Unity is about the only thing that gives windows 8 a run for it's money in terms of the most unusable UI ever. :D At least in Windows 8 you still get a desktop and ability to minimize windows, have a task bar etc. in Ubuntu they took away the start menu AND the desktop. Without having to google I have no clue how to even launch anything with that mess. That's why I need to try to get teamviewer to work in it for the next time I get one of those "microsoft support" calls from India. :D They'll have fun with that... lol

The Ubuntu forks like Kubuntu are good though. That's actually what I'm running. But vanilla Ubuntu is horrid. I can't believe they stuck with that horrible UI too. Even Linus himself thought it was the worse thing ever and blasted them for it.

The Ubuntu forks like Kubuntu are good though.

Funny you say that as Kubuntu has been the orphan twice removed redheaded bastard step-child of the Ubuntu family for years....and has arguably been the worst KDE distribution for just about as long.

Give them a year.

Well, I'm eagerly awaiting the horrible wreck of UI that'll be announced on Ubuntu's 11th birthday! :)

I don't know, I think Gnome 3 / Unity is about the only thing that gives windows 8 a run for it's money in terms of the most unusable UI ever. :D At least in Windows 8 you still get a desktop and ability to minimize windows, have a task bar etc. in Ubuntu they took away the start menu AND the desktop. Without having to google I have no clue how to even launch anything with that mess. That's why I need to try to get teamviewer to work in it for the next time I get one of those "microsoft support" calls from India. :D They'll have fun with that... lol

The Ubuntu forks like Kubuntu are good though. That's actually what I'm running. But vanilla Ubuntu is horrid. I can't believe they stuck with that horrible UI too. Even Linus himself thought it was the worse thing ever and blasted them for it.

I couldn't handle the UI at all. I installed it and did like that dog head tilt thing for a few minutes, then went back to Mint. I have heard good stuff at Kubuntu, but Mint is working pretty well for me so I'm not going to really bother. They're both part of the Debian pile so whatevs, I guess.

Your know, for all the hate that Ubuntu gets stability wise I think they've come a long way since their release of 12.04 LTS. But then again I only use Windows for gaming seeing as how Linux still isn't worth a shit for that.

Back