AMD APU Price Cuts and Bundles for October

I want to see AMD bring in some high-end APUs. Doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon, however.

AMD APUs are "high end." If you mean more than 4 cores the TDP is not there. The beauty of the APUs is the quality of the included iGPU.
Unfortunately there is a squeeze between good enough, discrete video cards, and upgrade path.
I can (barely) see a new socket A10 6 core, but we would lose the low cost(ist) motherboards and require aftermarket coolers, I would suspect at least 125-140 watt rating before overclock.

AMD APUs are "high end." If you mean more than 4 cores the TDP is not there. The beauty of the APUs is the quality of the included iGPU.
Unfortunately there is a squeeze between good enough, discrete video cards, and upgrade path.
I can (barely) see a new socket A10 6 core, but we would lose the low cost(ist) motherboards and require aftermarket coolers, I would suspect at least 125-140 watt rating before overclock.

wait wait....did you just say iGPU? say it again. please. just for me.

I guess the only thing that makes them high-end is the TDP, but even then, AMD does have a 220W CPU in the lineup, no? They are certainly not high-end as far as performance goes. Neither the price is high-end, as obviously Intel offers $300+ non EE CPUs.

Can't you already get A8s in 65w? You can't do the same onboard gpu with a 6 core in 100w ?

They aren't going to release a 6core APU any time soon. Much like they have no interest in increasing the GPU's performance.

If they did it would eat into their other products too much.

Back