Apple Computer Built by The Woz Sells for $905K

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
I always wondered that when Steve Wozniak was building those crude piecemeal Apple-1 computers in Steve Jobs family garage, did he ever think they would be worth more than the going price for them in 1976? Even if he did, it’s doubtful that he ever envisioned one of them going for the record price of $905K and ending up in the Henry Ford Museum.

What's sad/ironic is The Woz hasn't even made $905k in his lifetime.

And I think he's technically a hobbit.

Back in the 70's stuff like this was tinkered with and tossed. They wound up on shelves, modified, broken, particularly when shiny new all-beige plastic Apples finally hit, everyone had to have one of those sexy bastards......32k...Amber monitor.....stuff like this was relegated to the trash.

It was the 1970's.....there were no collectibles......you had old shit and garbage, and the only difference between the two was where it resided. If it was in your house, it was Old Shit. If it found its way to the dump, it was garbage :)

The original Woz Apple computers were the best. Tossed out the Mac junk but still keep some Apple II gear, Novation Apple-Cat II modem, Zip GS accelerator, Ramfast SCSI card, etc.

Conan said that it made this the cheapest Apple device in their lineup so far...

That is so cool! Hand made by a legend. The other helper is dead already. RIP :-(

Well, I have my 3rd computer still, an Atari 800XL, with Percom Floppy Disk http://www.robomargo.com/percom/. Both still work good!

My first was a Rat Shack Color Computer with 4K of memory, yep read that a again, 4K of memory. My Second was a big step up, the Atari 400, with 16K of memory, I upgraded that puppy to 32K, before jumping on the 64K model, of which only 48K or so was directly addressable by the 6502.

I can remember when I discovered Assembler and poked instructions into memory from Basic! I though I screwed something up, I was moving a Play Missile Graphic and all I got was a squiggly line across the screen. I then discovered it was so fast it was faster than the horizontal interrupts on the screen...As so began my life long carrier in programming.

Such lovely times. I graduated in 1983, for a time reference.

Cheers!

Wow, I wouldn't be born for another like 28 years! :eek:

Anyhow, yes, it's cool that those things are still around and that this one will find a place in a museum where people can see it rather than a private collection all hidden away and out of sight.

That is so cool! Hand made by a legend. The other helper is dead already. RIP :-(

Well, I have my 3rd computer still, an Atari 800XL, with Percom Floppy Disk http://www.robomargo.com/percom/. Both still work good!

My first was a Rat Shack Color Computer with 4K of memory, yep read that a again, 4K of memory. My Second was a big step up, the Atari 400, with 16K of memory, I upgraded that puppy to 32K, before jumping on the 64K model, of which only 48K or so was directly addressable by the 6502.

I can remember when I discovered Assembler and poked instructions into memory from Basic! I though I screwed something up, I was moving a Play Missile Graphic and all I got was a squiggly line across the screen. I then discovered it was so fast it was faster than the horizontal interrupts on the screen...As so began my life long carrier in programming.

Cheers!

Good times, indeed. I still have my Atari 800 and Amiga 2000. Just don't have the heart to pitch them.

The Henry Ford Museum is outstanding. If you ever visit the Detroit Metro Area (Dearborn), make sure you stop by. :)

The Henry Ford Museum is outstanding. If you ever visit the Detroit Metro Area (Dearborn), make sure you stop by. :)

"Dearborn", if you go down telegraph i think?, they still run classic cars up and down the strip Friday and Saturday, and people sit on the roadside and watch. I remember my Dad had a 67 Mustang back in the day, its was like a car show every weekend. Good times.

Back