Problem with Graphics cards

filip

2[H]4U
I recently had my MSI 780 burn while i was playing a game ( looks like it was the memory). After I confirmed that the card had burned I put a spare card in as a place holder while waiting for the RMA.

So it has been about a week and a half now of use and the 7850 I put as the place holder is now dead. The computer shut down while I was playing a game and would not turn on. I took out the card and restarted the computer, on boot I receive a windows message that something had failed. Started windows normal and it worked.
Checked the card in another computer and the PC would not boot either (so the card is dead) but now i am worried that some other component in my pc may have been damaged when the 780 burned.
Anyone have something similar happen to them, or are there any suggestions, Is this random cards dieing not to far apart or is another component in the computer messed up due to the card that burned?
Thanks.

Thanks for the reply,
Would it suffice to test the power supply, with a multimeter, not under load.

I have a seasonic platinum 760 watt, it was running for the 1.5 weeks under load for about 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week before the second card died. (3770k @ 4.4 and stock 7850) the power draw could not have been to much.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,
Would it suffice to test the power supply, with a multimeter, not under load.

I have a seasonic platinum 760 watt, it was running for the 1.5 weeks under load for about 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week before the second card died. (3770k @ 4.4 and stock 7850) the power draw could not have been to much.

well yes and no....its better than nothing but wont tell you whats happening while the supply is loaded....i would at the very lest keep a close eye on voltage levels stressed and un stressed. HWINFO64 is my own personal favorite app for keeping min current average and max values of all the voltage rails.

2 cards dying that quick might be more than just bad luck:eek:

Did some tests with the multimeter and the only thing that was slightly off was the 12v, at the load that I could produce (7850 and 3770k @4.4)
I got 5.05 on the 5v
3.35 on the 3.3v
and 12.19 on the 12v (just the PC on)
and 12.25 on the 12v (running a benchmark)

So, the PSU looks to be good (or is the .07 difference bad?) could the motherboard have been ruined or is this just my bad luck.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Well a multimeter under load gives you very little info, and at idle gives you even less. Voltage is one thing, the quality of the power is another. It could have severe rippling that won't show up on a MM but would be bad for. The best test is to have a spare PSU around and see if the problems persist with that one, That's assuming you don't have a scope and know how to use to to measure everything else besides voltage.

Back