Titan Z now only $1499

Still overpriced!!!! You can get 4 970's for the same price. Or 3 980's!!!

I guess if you need a single slot card.

Think it should be around $899-999

Still overpriced!!!! You can get 4 970's for the same price. Or 3 980's!!!

I guess if you need a single slot card.
Or unrestricted double-precision. Keep in mind that the Titan is more of a prosumer brand marketed to both gamers and to compute prosumers.

Or unrestricted double-precision. Keep in mind that the Titan is more of a prosumer brand marketed to both gamers and to compute prosumers.

Exactly. I'm sure some small business', maybe schools etc would love this price drop. Hell if I had the opportunity I'd buy some of these for business and in the next year or two have a wicked backup gaming card for when the next Prosumer/Titan comes out.

O come on. Nvidia promoted it as a 4k gamer card. If anyone is serious about double-precision, they would buy 3 780ti (which would be cheaper), which would give them more DP power.

Then if you want to counter that someone with a SFF case would want DP, no one would ever make a SFF case for DP Work...

Anyway yea its still overpriced.

Titan Z has 2.66 TFLOPs of DP, while 780 Ti has only 210 GFLOPs DP. That's over 12 times the difference. Still doesn't justify the price but let's not make the 780 Ti look better than what it really is.

i would buy in a heat beat at 300 bucks:) the advanced tech alone in enough to make a geek happy...to bad its so pricey...in the end i would love to have one...but really don't need it

A single titan black still retails for over $1k, so the price isn't that bad per se.

I get the feeling nvidia will be releasing a newer dual gpu card soon (990?).

the 12GB VRAM is the only thing drool worthy about the TitanZ...I hope Nvidia doesn't continue to restrict huge VRAM to the Titan cards

you mean 6gb got to love marketing.

No. Its 12GB. 6GB for each chip. Hence 12GB. Regardless of your moot point, its still a total on 1 Graphics card of 12GB. What you just said would mean 3GB per chip, 6 in total.
Has nothing to do with marketing. Does it physically have 12GB on the whole board? Why yes, yes it does .

It's all accessible through CUDA, also. Certain application domains will require large, shared memory sets, but not all.

And there are people who bought it when it cost $3000! Now it's a great deal if your in the market for two new titan blacks. Otherwise pure fail outside of professional needs even before the price drops from 9xx

I wonder what prompted the price drop, seeing as the original Titan is still going for its asking price, and nVidia isn't exactly known to be very generous when it comes to halo cards.

Maybe Jen-Hsun finally got his head out of his ass and realized even nVidia fans were making fun of the Titan Z.

I wonder what prompted the price drop, seeing as the original Titan is still going for its asking price, and nVidia isn't exactly known to be very generous when it comes to halo cards.

Maybe Jen-Hsun finally got his head out of his ass and realized even nVidia fans were making fun of the Titan Z.

Honestly, they probably weren't moving any of them. The Titan is the only top-end NV card with 6 GB VRAM so there's value in that to some. Titan Z, however, brings no performance advantage to the table. If it was somehow better than the Titan Black - had more CUDA cores, more VRAM, something, I bet more people would shell out for it but that's not the case.

Titan Z, however, brings no performance advantage to the table. If it was somehow better than the Titan Black - had more CUDA cores, more VRAM, something, I bet more people would shell out for it but that's not the case.
Uh, what? The Titan Z is faster than a Titan Black and has more CUDA cores...

An extra $500 over the Titan gets you an entire additional GK110. That seems pretty reasonable.

Titan Z at $1,200 is still grossly overpriced.
$500?

Not for its intended market - which isn't gamer bros, but compute/professional/workstation/medical applications.

If there's one thing for sure with any discussion about Titan cards, its the requisite "OMG overpriced WTF LOL" posts will always come bubbling over the pot. Gotta love it.

Last edited:
Not for its intended market - which isn't gamer bros, but compute/professional/workstation/medical applications.

If there's one thing for sure with any discussion about Titan cards, its the requisite "OMG overpriced WTF LOL" posts will always come bubbling over the pot. Gotta love it.

You do not know what you are talking about. :eek:
The Titan is specifically aimed at the gaming market.

http://www.nvidia.com/gtx-700-graphics-cards/gtx-titan-black/

Introducing GeForce® GTX™ TITAN Black.
Evolved from the award-winning GTX TITAN, the Black edition gives you the added horsepower to drive your most graphics-intensive games while still maintaining whisper-quiet acoustics and cool thermals.

The workstation solution from NVIDIA is the Quadro line.

The Titan is specifically aimed at the gaming market.
Then why does it have full double-precision compute performance unlocked? That isn't a feature of any of Nvidia's gaming-oriented products (as it makes no difference in gaming performance).

Everything Titan-branded has been specifically aimed at the niche between consumer and professional.

The workstation solution from NVIDIA is the Quadro line.
Right, and anything with the "Titan" branding sits in the niche between consumer gaming hardware and professional workstation hardware. The features and pricetag both align with this niche.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,3474-23.html

We're certainly curious to see how the Titan fares when we insert its results to the upcoming workstation graphics card round-up. However, we wouldn't recommend it (and we don't think Nvidia would either) for everyday work in a design studio. Quadro and FirePro boards are the right tools for that job, primarily due to their properly optimized and certified drivers.

its price is just too high for the performance it offers in professional applications, added on to the fact that its drivers simply aren't certified for most of the software we tested.

Titan is a gaming card and competes with the GTX 980.
My point is that the price should reflects this fact.

Uh, what? The Titan Z is faster than a Titan Black and has more CUDA cores...

An extra $500 over the Titan gets you an entire additional GK110. That seems pretty reasonable.

I was talking about why they weren't moving any back at the $3k price point. Yes it's the same thing as Titan Blacks in SLI, why would anyone pay an extra $1k for that. If you care about looks and want a single PCB maybe but that's a really niche appeal. My point was Nvidia did nothing to justify that extra expenditure performance-wise.

I realize past dual GPU cards have had no performance advantage either but they did not carry anywhere near the amount of premium the Titan Z had. Extra $200-300 or so? Fine. Add $1k though and I'd be expecting better perf over SLI Titan Blacks.

Last edited:
Now they drop the price....SMFH...

I would of been all over two of these like a fly on shit if they were the same price as the R9-295x2 earlier this year.

A single titan black still retails for over $1k, so the price isn't that bad per se.

I get the feeling nvidia will be releasing a newer dual gpu card soon (990?).

Wait a second. Wasn't there already a dual GPU 990 in nVidia's lineup years ago?

Dammit, this is why GPU companies can't keep retreading the same range of numbers over and over!

Big question is if price redux on Titan Z is a smell of the next tianic thing coming soon?

GTX 980 overclocked is beating the Titan Black. Fully specified Maxwell chip (perhaps coming straight in 20nm) will be approaching Titan Z performance. Thus, Titan Z, before it fades out, will be positioned at high-end with ton of memory and the new Titan XXL will substitute Titan Black with perfomance close to Titan Z but less memory on-board.

I think this is only a sign of Nvidia trying to clear inventory on these. They made like 2000 of these or something. I wonder if they are wondering why these didn't sell :D

I really hope they stop this $3000 consumer level graphics cards bullshit. I don't care if they say they're for gaming or not they need to be knocked down a peg. I remember after seeing the price this card initially came out with and being offended.

Oh well I hope they don't sell even at this price. It'll at least show nvidia that all hardcore gamers don't have shit for brains like some of their marketing dept. seems to have shown that they believe simply by releasing this card at the price they did.

No. Its 12GB. 6GB for each chip. Hence 12GB. Regardless of your moot point, its still a total on 1 Graphics card of 12GB. What you just said would mean 3GB per chip, 6 in total.
Has nothing to do with marketing. Does it physically have 12GB on the whole board? Why yes, yes it does .

Can you use 12gb for a project or game? No, no you cant.

6gb is all you can use. Other 6 is mirroed.

Oh my my 3ghz quad core chip is actually 12ghz.

Oh my my 3ghz quad core chip is actually 12ghz.

That's not what I said. But you went ahead and made the same point I did. Way to go Flash. It still has 12GB Physically on the fucking board and that was the point. Reread what was posted, made it sound like their was 6GB physically shared between 2 GPU's.(Which would be 3GB per gpu which it's not)

Thank you. :)

Anyway, 6 + 6 is still 12 /4=3, SO HL3 CONFIRMED! .

The price never should have been over 1500 on these, and even that's a bit steep I think. I wish the days of $1k GPUs would end. But as long as they are making bank off of these chips, I fear we won't see an end.

I would actually like to see some sales figures for the Titan Z pre/post price drop.

Mirrored, maybe?

Anyway, 6 + 6 is still 12.

Wait, compute applications can't access the full 12GB VRAM pool? I know SLI/gaming suffers that limitation, but I figured that the compute applications would have some driver workaround or something that lets those applications utilize the full VRAM.

Ohhh!!! $1500 now?!!! I'll take zero! Still costs more than 2x980 for a gamer.

Back