Intel X99 Motherboard Goes Up in Smoke

HardOCP News

[H] News
As a computer enthusiast, I can honestly say there is nothing worse than this smell. Nothing good has ever immediately followed the smell of burnt electronics. :(

This morning I woke up bright and early to benchmark some DDR4 memory kits and found myself waking up not to Folgers in your cup, but the smell of burnt electrical after loading the XMP profiles on a memory kit and restarting the system. Let me tell you what happened, the best I can.

Good to see a resolution on this. I hope people actually bother to look at this article's resolution now a month and a half later. I see WAY too many people who parrot "OMG ASUS OC SOCKET BURNS T3H PROCESSORZ!!!111".

Good to see they found out the actual source of the problems, and released a fix.

Also I'm glad I decided to get a Seasonic PSU this time around :D.

Good article on legit reviews covering everything that happened. Interesting read, and learned a few things about Over Current Protection and single rail PSU designs...

Glad to see ASUS found a resolution.

I guess that means two things:

1. Don't purchase the first products on the market.
2. Make sure you have applied the latest firmware.

Good to see a resolution on this. I hope people actually bother to look at this article's resolution now a month and a half later. I see WAY too many people who parrot "OMG ASUS OC SOCKET BURNS T3H PROCESSORZ!!!111".

Good to see they found out the actual source of the problems, and released a fix.

Also I'm glad I decided to get a Seasonic PSU this time around :D.

After debating whether to get a Corsair AX1200i or Seasonic, and choosing to get the AX1200i, I regret my decision... Stuff this important should NEVER be disabled by default and it should NEVER be changed by a software option. And not telling anyone? So disappointed.

After debating whether to get a Corsair AX1200i or Seasonic, and choosing to get the AX1200i, I regret my decision... Stuff this important should NEVER be disabled by default and it should NEVER be changed by a software option. And not telling anyone? So disappointed.

What are you talking about?

TFA said:
We also pointed out to Corsair that there is no mention of this in the instruction manual and that many users might not be aware that their flagship PSU has features that aren’t enabled unless they do so manually. From the sounds of it Corsair just updated the firmware and went to a multi-rail configuration. We’ve talked to several people about this issue and it was unclear if there was a hardware change and that is still being looked into. The bad news is that the firmware is not end-user upgradable.

What a colossal fuckup.

At last, a new UEFI update. Gonna grab it with the quickness. I've been on version 0904 since Oct 1 when I got the system running. I wonder if I'll finally be able to run my DDR4-2666 RAM at XMP without the CPU's base clock being affected.

Why the fuck would you sell a PSU without over current protection?

And didn't the PSU's trip?

It does have it, but its disabled by default in the newer firmware revision, they just didn't bother mentioning it to anyone. Never buying a Corsair power supply, the quality is great but the programming obviously isn't. I can't see why they couldn't have just left this on by default. If it causes issues with anyone that's what the option to turn it off should of been used for.

Back