Microsoft Lumia To Replace The Nokia Brand

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this report, Microsoft is ditching the Nokia brand name on its Lumia phones sooner than expected.

Microsoft Lumia is the new brand name that takes the place of Nokia for the software maker. The name change follows a slow transition from Nokia.com over to Microsoft's new mobile site, and Nokia France will be the first of many countries that adopt "Microsoft Lumia" for its Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts. Microsoft has confirmed to The Verge that other countries will follow the rebranding steps in the coming weeks.

They can call it whatever they want, no one is going to abandon Android or iOS for it.

The Nokia name has been trash in the US for a long time. Except for a small minority that's had some of their newer phones you hear the word "Nokia" and picture an old bar phone without a color screen. Snake was a fun game though.

They can call it whatever they want, no one is going to abandon Android or iOS for it.

/thread

This explains the entire mobile world right now. The only point in doing any non-iOS/non-Android is to just keep a foothold in case one of them fails/faulters.

Poor poor Microsoft lol

They are lucky I am forced to use their OS otherwise, I would be free of Microsoft which I've tried to do for a long while now.

I recently saw their estimated daily sales of windows phones here in the US, it was an incredibly low number. Shocked didn't do the number justice

It's a shame Nokia just couldn't have jumped on the Android bandwagon, they have had some pretty nice phones out there ruined with the MS OS.

The Nokia name has been trash in the US for a long time. Except for a small minority that's had some of their newer phones you hear the word "Nokia" and picture an old bar phone without a color screen. Snake was a fun game though.

That's the problem Microsoft faces. Their name isn't associated with most people for phones. Windows is also tumultuous at best as a mobile brand name. Lumia is unknown. And, Nokia? People think of the old flip phone they had before they moved on to iPhone/Droid/Galaxy, or if they are really into 'niche' products, Nexus. Branding is super important and Apple and Samsung have that in spades while everyone else claws out single-percentage point shares. Even RIM is largely forgotten mere years from their domination with BlackBerry for years as the premier business/college phones.

That's the problem Microsoft faces. Their name isn't associated with most people for phones. Windows is also tumultuous at best as a mobile brand name. Lumia is unknown. And, Nokia? People think of the old flip phone they had before they moved on to iPhone/Droid/Galaxy, or if they are really into 'niche' products, Nexus. Branding is super important and Apple and Samsung have that in spades while everyone else claws out single-percentage point shares. Even RIM is largely forgotten mere years from their domination with BlackBerry for years as the premier business/college phones.

Also next to branding is customer loyalty / retention. Microsoft missed the boat on "getting there first" and I don't see anything disruptive they could possibly come up with that would make people want to switch to it. Android and iOS are pretty refined and have fully rolled out ecosystems. Check and mate. The smart thing to do would be to pack it in and look for another market to get into.

I think your guys' perception of the Nokia brand is interesting - I also do somewhat think of the old pre-smartphone Nokias in addition to their newer Lumia line, but I remember those phones as being durable, having good reception, and solid battery life. Not to mention stylish in their day. So I would consider that a positive association. But I guess I'm in the minority there.

Hey microsoft phones are great for work phones, now you know your employees won't download and put crap on the work phone you're paying for because the app store is nearly nonexistent.

app store is nearly nonexistent.

I have plenty of apps installed on my Lumia 1020 to name some Facebook, vkontakte, book readers, Here maps navigation(great one) and many other. I agree that Android or iPhone has more and some better apps but Windows app store is getting better every day.

I actually hope that Lumia phones will become really popular one day and there is a potential for that. I love my indestructible Lumia 1020 :)

I actually hope that Lumia phones will become really popular one day and there is a potential for that.

Where do you see that potential specifically? Because all I see are ugly monocolored tiles that turn consumers off, giant text that goes off the page and features that only ever seem to be playing follow the leader.

Windows Phone has 2.5% marketshare.. after 4 years.. and is declining. Short of some visionary at Microsoft that understands they have to trash Metro completely and start from scratch with something completely innovative, Windows Phone will shuffle along until investors have had enough.

Where do you see that potential specifically? Because all I see are ugly monocolored tiles that turn consumers off, giant text that goes off the page and features that only ever seem to be playing follow the leader.

Personally I see my family enjoying Windows phone experience. We have 3 Lumias (1020, 925, 720) and 2 iPhones 5. That is where I see the potential. But I guess I need to see a bigger picture :)

unintuitive isn't a thing as much as "I've used something similar in the past so i think like things work like this."
I've seen people struggle with any sort of new software not everyone has a great mind for guessing and systematically going through possibilities to learn without being taught how to use things.
The only thing microsoft has failed to do is to get people in the mood to learn, instead with the internet people are only in the mood to bitch.

The only thing microsoft has failed to do is to get people in the mood to learn, instead with the internet people are only in the mood to bitch.

I must say that I hate Windows 8 PC interface even after ~2 years using it. But I love Windows Phone interface. It is very simple and robust. But it is different from iPhone or Android and people are not really willing to learn new things. For the people who adopt smartphones for the first time Windows interface is fine but for those switching from Android/iPhones it is weird and new thing that they do not want to learn. Probably they shouldn't unless Microsoft could convince them that it is a good thing to learn new things :)

I think regardless of the technical aspects of the OS, Windows Phone doesn't have a big market share because Microsoft just isn't as popular as Apple/Google. Having something awesome is one thing, but having it appeal to the common folk is a completely different aspect.

In a way, I think it's similar to how Samsung is a very popular Android device, while all the other manufacturers, HTC, Sony, LG, aren't as popular so people just don't buy them. Just the way the world works.

I think regardless of the technical aspects of the OS, Windows Phone doesn't have a big market share because Microsoft just isn't as popular as Apple/Google. Having something awesome is one thing, but having it appeal to the common folk is a completely different aspect.

In a way, I think it's similar to how Samsung is a very popular Android device, while all the other manufacturers, HTC, Sony, LG, aren't as popular so people just don't buy them. Just the way the world works.

I only buy HTC phones, I think the rest are garbage, I especially despise the clunky POS Samsung interface they force down peoples throats. If HTC ever faltered, Microsoft would finally get my business in the smartphone market.

Microsoft Windows phone are very nice. Every person I know that has used one ended up getting one because the interface feels so refreshing.

The app store "problem" is a non-issue IMO... instead of 3,072 flashlight apps they have 67, instead of 1200 flappy bird clones they have 50. Everything else useful is there so who gives a shit how many clones there are.

Ide like to see a chart with percentage of apps on Android/IOS that have been downloaded a respectable amount of times vs all the clones.

I did. Android sucks. The windows 8.1 on my Nokia is far superior in what it does straight out. So much easier to navigate and use. Plus the build quality is lightyears ahead of any android. And what android phone would let you upgrade to a new version? Almost none of them without having to buy a new phone with the latest version on it. My nokia upgraded from 8 to 8.1 through itself using its own updater. No web searches or other voodoo required, it just did it.

I had a few android phones and all of them would accidently activate, unlock and do stuff in my pocket by themselves due to poor design. Usually it would start to play music or the worst was when it subscribed me to something from an ad through the stupid weather app. Speaking of which, I hated that android interface with that weather garbage. Tiles on the windows interface is far superior to that android setup which is half the damn screen for the weather, and the other half for about only 8 at the most app links. Oh yea, in contrast I've had zero in pocket accidental activations of my nokia.

Apps? Who needs them? Do everything through browser. The only "apps" I've downloaded are the Nokia spam and call blocker, (android hasn't got that, or didn't have when I last had an android), and all of the Microsoft games. They are better than the nickel and dime crap you get on android. No spying or tracking or wanting your call contacts just to play a game.

I got over the google spy crap a long time ago. So sick of it wanting constant tabs on where you are and what you do. I don't like them so much I almost despise them.

I'd gladly buy a Microsoft lumina next phone. Also don't get me wrong, the windows 8 interface can stay the hell away from my desktop, but is very welcome on my phone which is where it should only be because there is where it works.

Microsoft Windows phone are very nice. Every person I know that has used one ended up getting one because the interface feels so refreshing.

The app store "problem" is a non-issue IMO... instead of 3,072 flashlight apps they have 67, instead of 1200 flappy bird clones they have 50. Everything else useful is there so who gives a shit how many clones there are.

Ide like to see a chart with percentage of apps on Android/IOS that have been downloaded a respectable amount of times vs all the clones.

Thank you for bringing that up...

Who gives a _*(U if there are 101 versions of "kill your boss" or whatever stupid app some wannabe Google app developer throws up on the app store..

i upgraded from a galaxy s3 (running 4.4.4) to the one m8 winphone and really enjoy the OS. The app selection is fine. As others have pointed out, the essentials are there, but you only get a handful of choices instead of hundreds - which is fine.

I still use android on my nexus 7, so I haven't completely abandoned the platform. However, i'd definitely lean more towards windows phones for my next phone purchase.

So, you are saying the sheeple will not abandon ship? :D The Lumia phones with Windows Phone 8.1 are fantastic and competitive.

I think one of the key things Microsoft can do to give success to their platform is to continue unifying the desktop and mobile. I am NOT talking about stuff like forcing metro on desktop users, but talking more about the back-end:

Why don't Windows Phone apps run on Windows desktop machines? Even if emulation is required, that shouldn't be a problem given the power of most desktop PCs. There already are apps available for Windows Phone that don't have a desktop equivalent.

Allow x86 tablets/phones to be able to run regular desktop Windows software - and either stop developing ARM hardware or come up with an amazing translation/emulation setup.

Again, I'm not talking about forcing a mobile UI on desktop users, but otherwise I think unification of the platform is key. When people see a program or an app that runs on Windows, it should run on pretty much anything with Windows, from a huge multi-screen PC to a tiny phone to a $40 budget tablet.

I regret my WP8 purchase, mostly because the 8.1 update for has yet to be pushed out on tmobile. When I bought it was with the idea that 8.1 was coming soon, now who knows if it ever will. The 8.1 update actually makes it a viable alternative (besides the app store not being super great) but without it, this phone is an expensive knockoff.

I regret my WP8 purchase, mostly because the 8.1 update for has yet to be pushed out on tmobile. When I bought it was with the idea that 8.1 was coming soon, now who knows if it ever will. The 8.1 update actually makes it a viable alternative (besides the app store not being super great) but without it, this phone is an expensive knockoff.

Yeah, the update process is a mess. I picked up an HTC One M8 Windows Phone from Verizon when it came out and it's sweet phone running 8.1 (besides the camera, HTC doesn't seem to be able to do good cameras for some reason) and it's able to take Developer Preview updates as well. If Microsoft could get all phones to update like this, it would be great.

I think one of the key things Microsoft can do to give success to their platform is to continue unifying the desktop and mobile. I am NOT talking about stuff like forcing metro on desktop users, but talking more about the back-end:

Why don't Windows Phone apps run on Windows desktop machines? Even if emulation is required, that shouldn't be a problem given the power of most desktop PCs. There already are apps available for Windows Phone that don't have a desktop equivalent.

Allow x86 tablets/phones to be able to run regular desktop Windows software - and either stop developing ARM hardware or come up with an amazing translation/emulation setup.

Again, I'm not talking about forcing a mobile UI on desktop users, but otherwise I think unification of the platform is key. When people see a program or an app that runs on Windows, it should run on pretty much anything with Windows, from a huge multi-screen PC to a tiny phone to a $40 budget tablet.

Windows 8 has actually paved the way for a lot of the backend stuff you're talking about that should improve along with the UI in Windows 10. Windows 8.x x86 tablets already run desktop apps. If Windows 10 truly combines Windows RT/Phone into a single platform, then Windows 10 x86 should be able to run everything, desktop, tablet and phone apps.

That would make a Windows 10 x86 phone an extremely interesting proposition if it dockable with something like the old Atrix.

Hey microsoft phones are great for work phones, now you know your employees won't download and put crap on the work phone you're paying for because the app store is nearly nonexistent.

Kind of reminds me of Blackberry phones, if Blackberry phones had 3% of the market share back in the mid-2000s.

I did and so did my wife, both from Android phones. I also know plenty of people who once I have shown them my Lumia 928 and my wife's Icon and they played around with them, have also switched.

I would never switch to either of those platforms you mentioned. I did my time in Android land. :(

if they could just get people to try it...i'm confident from a pure usage standpoint, most people would prefer 8.1 versus iOS or Android. It's a phenomenal system, and the Lumia phones at their price point are nicer than alternatives imo.

Someone obviously hasn't used a Windows Phone :rolleyes:

Lumia 920 here, Windows Phone 8.1 (with Update 1), plenty of apps to go around. So many that I'm starting to wish I had more than 32GB of storage in this thing :eek:

If you register as a developer you can bypass your carrier and get updates directly from Microsoft. I was running 8.1 on my Lumia 920 long before AT&T released it to the general public.

Registering as a developer is free.

There was a time when I would have bought a Nokia phone, but the carriers didn't have it, so I would have had to buy it myself, and it was expensive.

The Nokia N900 with Maemo was brilliant. Best mobile operating system ever.

I want my phone to be more like my computer, NOT my computer to be more like my phone.

Maemo was the only thing that kept me even remotely interested in Nokia. When they ditched it, I no longer had any interest in them.

I'll have to settle for Android as a second best.

If you register as a developer you can bypass your carrier and get updates directly from Microsoft. I was running 8.1 on my Lumia 920 long before AT&T released it to the general public.

We REALLY need to get to the point where this is the case for ALL phones.

The carriers should have no part in pushing updates. They should be dumb mobile ISP's with no handset sales, branding or control over handset software, and phones operating with a single standard network interface, no carrier specific basebands and garbage like that.

Until this happens, mobile devices will always be a disappointment.

That is true that you can run 8.1 but you won't get the Cyan firmware (or soon to be Denim)...your carrier has to push that and TMobile & Verizon have yet to do so.

Your mileage may vary with running 8.1 without the Cyan firmware update, for some, battery drain got much worse.

It did initially on my 928 but after a hard reset, it was much better.

Try to rationalize it all you want, but to attempt to straw man what is a serious app gap problem on Windows Phone as "just a difference in clone apps" is pretty silly. To try to rationalize that apps aren't important is also naive. Even Microsoft acknowledges there's an app problem with winphone and third party developers are scarce for the platform.

Fair or not, the 10 or 15 "key consumer apps of the moment" that release and update frequently on Android and iOS are part of what's hurting Winphone. It's the biggest reason for the high return rate of Winphones at cellular stores, and why salespeople will typically recommend Android or iOS -- because they DONT WANT RETURNS.

Try to rationalize it all you want, but to attempt to straw man what is a serious app gap problem on Windows Phone as "just a difference in clone apps" is pretty silly. To try to rationalize that apps aren't important is also naive. Even Microsoft acknowledges there's an app problem with winphone and third party developers are scarce for the platform.

Fair or not, the 10 or 15 "key consumer apps of the moment" that release and update frequently on Android and iOS are part of what's hurting Winphone. It's the biggest reason for the high return rate of Winphones at cellular stores, and why salespeople will typically recommend Android or iOS -- because they DONT WANT RETURNS.

I have no idea what apps do or don't exist on Windows phone.

I'd imagine they must be pretty decent when it comes to work type stuff (Word/Excel/Powerpoint/Exchange Integration/Lync/etc.) just because that kind of is Microsofts domain.

Outside of that, as long as there are apps that integrate GMAIL, a decent youtube player, a Spotify App, a Waze App, a Netflix App, A Facebook app, and SSH app a decent weather app, Shazam and my public radio streaming app, I think I'd be at least reasonably OK.

That being said, my dislike for Microsoft is only slightly less than my dislike for Apple, so I'd prefer to have as little of their stuff in my life as possible.

Zarathustra[H];1041182652 said:

Gmail integration is perfect on Windows phone but native Google Drive and Google apps are missing and this is what I am really missing on my 1020

I'm not keen on the name, Lumia has no impact.
Its like the marketing dept has no confidence.

Back