Is 4790k worth upgrade over 3570k?

traxxton

n00b
Next month im getting a 4k monitor and a GTX 980. I plan on having two HDD's; 1 set up for my current 1080 monitor for 1080 gaming and 1 for my new 4k monitor for 4k gaming.

My question is while I have a few extra bucks, is it worth $700 to go from my 3570k @ 4.3ghz, 32gb ram @ 1600mhz, and asrock z77 extreme4 to a 4790k, 16gb 2133mhz, asus maximus vii hero? I would also get the popular zalman cooler and overclock as much as possible.

The performance you'd gain from such an upgrade is definitely not worth $700. If you start feeling the need for HT, simply get a second-hand i7 3770K.

It'd make the most sense if you were upgrading at all to just get a 3770k, but I'd only even get that if you were doing any kind of rendering or encoding with your pc. If you are, then a used 3770k would totally be worth it.

The performance you'd gain from such an upgrade is definitely not worth $700. If you start feeling the need for HT, simply get a second-hand i7 3770K.

The cost would be much less if the OP sold the previous system to buy the new.

I mainly update for the new feature set with the Motherboard.
cpu upgrades nowadays are like meh.

Still not really worth it for pure gaming purposes. For 4k gaming, a GPU upgrade (in this case a second 980) would make much more sense.

Save the money on the CPU/Motherboard/RAM and consider getting a second video card for SLI. That will have a greater impact at 4k than the minor bump in CPU performance.

Still not really worth it for pure gaming purposes. For 4k gaming, a GPU upgrade (in this case a second 980) would make much more sense.

Save the money on the CPU/Motherboard/RAM and consider getting a second video card for SLI. That will have a greater impact at 4k than the minor bump in CPU performance.

This. Get a second GTX 980. A menial CPU upgrade would give close to zero performance increases with GPU-bound 4K gaming.

What monitor have you chosen?
Im looking at the $600 Samsung U28D590D from Best Buy. That way if for some reason there is a problem, easy returns. My goal for the monitor is to get into 4k gaming and also view my digital pictures in a higher res monitor.

I would love to do that, but the only way I can seem to do that is through ebay, and I really dont want to use ebay anymore. Last month I tried to sell two items and had fraudulent buyers both times. Even though they were caught before I shipped, the one cost me $50 and the other $11 through ebay/paypal fees even though no sale was made.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think i'll just get the video card and monitor for now and see how it goes. I just wasnt sure if there was any reasonable worthwhile cpu upgrade over my 3570k.

Last edited:
Back