Purchase confirmation advise (24 inch monitor)

HigoChumbo

n00b
TL: DR => Am I making the right choice?

Hi guys, after some research I'm a click away from purchasing an Iiyama XB2483HSU-B1 from Amazon.es at 173,90€ + 2.99€ shipping (176.89 € Total = 139.36£ = 223.70$).

I wanted to ask more knowledgeable people before confirming my purchase, so i'll leave here a bit of info and the features I'm after.

Ideally I'm looking for:

• Best value for money (which is not the same as cheapest, although i'd prefer to stay around a similar budget). ✔?
  • 1920x1080 or maybe 1920x1200 ✔
  • 23 or 24 inches ✔
  • Immersive and fun (movies/games, aka good colors, blacks and smoothness) ✔?
  • Decent enough for playing fast-paced multiplayer FPSs ✔?
  • Decent enough for [B]casual photo editing[/B]. ✔?
  • Lack of distracting annoyances (such as glow). ✔?

I'm not a pro-gamer, but I like my online FPSs (both slow -Arma2- and fast - BF3/Quake3-), and although I value immersion much more than competition, I do want those games to be enjoyable as well (after all, having a blurry trail after everything or being more focused on your hardware limitiations than on plaiyng the game are immersion killers). I guess the three things you need for a game to be immersive are good blacks (check), good colors (check) and smoothness/fluidity (which is my main concern given it's an VA, but which i feel might be exagerated and just some unnoticeable in-game trails).

I am well aware that technology does have limitations, specially in this price range, and that's preciselly the reason I initially chose AMVA+ over TN or IPS. TN is fluid but has awful image quality and viewing angles, and IPS is as slow as modern VAs and has worse blacks. As for VAs' faults:

• Black crush: so far does not seem a big problem with this particular model (XB2483 black crush) as it is with some other more known models (FG2424 black crush)
  • Slow response time: although still slow, this model seems to be better than usual for VA pannels, and good enough for non-professional gaming when using overdrive, even with fast paced fps (XB2483 BF3 test). I'd like to know how noticeable/distracting the blurring/ghosting is (judging by the video does not seem a bother at all) and if it affects how fluid the game looks at say, 60hz/75Hz.
  • Colors not as good as IPS: with a 96% accuracy, it seems good enough and better than other more famous and expensive IPS pannels. Haven't seen the thing myself so I can't comment on it.

In the way I leave a trail of cheap-ass TNs and also some more premium monitors such as a couple of used Eizos (Foris FG2421 and FS233), the BenQ BL2411PT, the Dell u2414h or the absurdly expensive Asus VG248QE which forced me to expend 200 extra bucks and void my warranty if i wanted Gsync...

So what do you guys think, am I making the right choice for the price or would you recommend something else? Should I just hold my finger and wait a month to see if i get lucky with second hand or black friday sales? xD

Well, cheers and thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most VA panels can be overclocked to 72hz and the iiyama VA panels are as faster than competing IPS/PLS when the Overdrive is turned up. Youtube videos are affected by the quality of the rendering, compression, camera settings, ect and are worthless in terms of judging motion clarity unless the ghosting is extremely obvious.

Some of the VA panels do have higher sRGB colour space coverage (96% vs. 90% for the 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS), but they also suffer from gamma shift (gamma is 2.2 in the center for example, but gradually lightens towards the sides), so the colours are not as evenly saturated across the panel (they get lighter or more washed out when moving away from the center). A VA panel with 96% sRGB colour space coverage should still look obviously more vibrant than a matte 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS though, especially since they are not semi-glossy.

Most VA panels can be overclocked to 72hz and the iiyama VA panels are as faster than competing IPS/PLS when the Overdrive is turned up. Youtube videos are affected by the quality of the rendering, compression, camera settings, ect and are worthless in terms of judging motion clarity unless the ghosting is extremely obvious.

Some of the VA panels do have higher sRGB colour space coverage (96% vs. 90% for the 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS), but they also suffer from gamma shift (gamma is 2.2 in the center for example, but gradually lightens towards the sides), so the colours are not as evenly saturated across the panel (they get lighter or more washed out when moving away from the center). A VA panel with 96% sRGB colour space coverage should still look obviously more vibrant than a matte 1080p AH-IPS and AD-PLS though, especially since they are not semi-glossy.

Is that a "sure, go ahead, you are set, you won't find anything better for that price"? :D

I guess my real question could be: "is there no IPS monitor on a similar price range with better colors, good enough blacks, acceptable glow and similar/lower response time (4-5ms) I should get instead of this one?"

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, will check on that Asus.

Most VA panels can be overclocked to 72hz and the iiyama VA panels are as faster than competing IPS/PLS when the Overdrive is turned up.

I might be speaking of a totally different thing, but isn't this Iiyama 75Hz?

Horizontal sync 30 - 80 KHz
Vertical sync 55 - 75 Hz

That Iiyama is badass, certainly the best AMVA+ around.

If you don't need the rotation-capable stand look for the X2483HSU-B1 (without the 'B' after the 'X') its the same with a basic stand and you save money.

That Iiyama is badass, certainly the best AMVA+ around.

If you don't need the rotation-capable stand look for the X2483HSU-B1 (without the 'B' after the 'X') its the same with a basic stand and you save money.

Yeah i was initially going for the X24 but its just a couple of euros cheaper in amazon(.es) (and not much more anywhere as far as I've seen) and I guess such a little difference is worth having a better stand.

Thanks for the tip though =)

Would you guys rather get this over a Dell U2414H for 230€? (181.42£ = 290.86$) (or 204,53€ returned from Amazon)

Last edited:
Well, purchased the Iiyama, should arrive around next wednesday. Hope I've made the right choice.

Fingers crossed =)

Well, purchased the Iiyama, should arrive around next wednesday. Hope I've made the right choice.

Fingers crossed =)

Let us know how it turns up, if it has acceptable gamma shift and if it has any discoloration towards green on the edges on grayish colors.

Let us know how it turns up, if it has acceptable gamma shift and if it has any discoloration towards green on the edges on grayish colors.

So far so good. No dead pixels, no noticeable image quality flaws (I'm no expert but I see nothing as evident as that awful ips corner glow). (In fact so far I see nothing at all, not even discoloration at the edges).

Viewing angles seem good although you do notice a bit of color change when you move (a lot). I really see no problem at all here.

Blacks are black. Haven't tried fps's yet but so far I saw no problem with movies and strategy games. I honestly can't tell the difference between overdrive 3 and overdrive disabled, does nothing to "moving windows" ghosting and does nothing to strategy games. At least not that I've noticed after some quick tests.

The only thing that was odd to me at first is that I find the colors to be oversaturated, even when the contrast configuration seems to be fine. I guess that might be me coming from a crappy, washed out laptop screen.

Oh, also, I was surprised that the refresh rate is capped at 60hz, I thought the monitor was capable of 75.

These days I'm quite busy but I'll do some test when I have more spare time, so If you want me to do some test in particular (taking into account that I'm no expert and the most I can contribute is with some decent photos), feel free to ask.

How is text quality and how do you like it overall versus BL2411PT and u2414h?

Oh, also, I was surprised that the refresh rate is capped at 60hz, I thought the monitor was capable of 75.

Hello,
I also have the XB2483HSU and it is possible to get higher refresh rates by overclocking, like mentioned. I could get down to 50hz and up to 76hz and didn't notice any frameskipping or image anomalies.
I used the Nvidia Control Panel and I am connected with a dual-link-dvi cable, if that makes a difference. (the monitor comes only with a single link). These are the settings:

72hz:
Total pixels: 2080x1100
Refresh rate: 71.928hz
Pixel clock: 164.5713mhz
all other default

76hz:
Front porch: 44 horizontal 4 vertical
Sync width: 22 hor 5 ver
Total pixels: 1990x1090
Refresh rate: 76.000hz
Pixel clock: 164.8516mhz

Text looks normal here, I guess. Its nice and sharp as far as I can tell.

There is no noticeable ghosting or smearing with this panel, I'm very happy. The only thing I noticed is that there seems to be some delays with black on darker greys, mostly on finer structures. This may be down to the slower VA response times on very dark pixel transitions. This is nothing like smearing, its more like the texture darkens slightly when in motion, and brightens to normal when stopped. If stopped/moved quickly it causes a kind of flickering. Hard to describe better. It not happens often though, and depends on the game/graphics, also took me a almost week to notice. I also noticed that response times are inversely proportional to temperature, the screen is slower when cold/fresh turned on and gets a bit faster when the room is strongly heated.

Last edited:
Back