Apple's iPad Air 2 'Smokes' Android Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
optimized software > over spec' hardware

that said, i quite enjoy using my xperia z ultra...

Basically 11 cents per whatever the fuck the bench mark is at the bottom of that screenshot for iPad Air 2 vs 6 cents per again whatever the fuck on the Kindle Fire HDX 7.

I threw it in Excel and got the following

iPad Air 2 - 11 cents
iPad Air - 14.8 cents
Kindle Fire HDX 7 - 6.6 cents
Nvidia Shield Tab - 9.4 cents
Galaxy Tab S 10.5 - 14 cents
Nexus 7 - 10 cents

So.... Buy a Kindle Fire HDX 7?

I thought that smoking Android tablets caused cancer or was a gateway to hard drug use or something. :D

Basically 11 cents per whatever the fuck the bench mark is at the bottom of that screenshot for iPad Air 2 vs 6 cents per again whatever the fuck on the Kindle Fire HDX 7.

I threw it in Excel and got the following

iPad Air 2 - 11 cents
iPad Air - 14.8 cents
Kindle Fire HDX 7 - 6.6 cents
Nvidia Shield Tab - 9.4 cents
Galaxy Tab S 10.5 - 14 cents
Nexus 7 - 10 cents

So.... Buy a Kindle Fire HDX 7?
Are you suggesting we buy based on price/performance?

For the average person, the Apple Eco system is much better than having any of those other devices. More apps (of better quality) and better integration with your iPhone, Mac and AppleTV. You can argue it all you want, but with Yosemite the Apple eco system has taken a huge step forward.

For the average person, the Apple Eco system is much better than having any of those other devices. More apps (of better quality) and better integration with your iPhone, Mac and AppleTV. You can argue it all you want, but with Yosemite the Apple eco system has taken a huge step forward.

............................:eek:dear god i wouldnt be caught dead with that much icrap in my house

The ecosystem on Amazon and Play Store combined is actually pretty good (easy to get Play on the Kindle's). Not sure what you're bitching about. So yes. I'd based my decision on price/performance as most of this site do.

Im sorry but they are completely spinning this ina very interesting way. There is no way in hell that for a GAME that ipad air would smoke my nvidia tablet. They are full of shit. I dont do a whole lot of compressing video etc on my tablet either, so exactly how fast do I need this to be? I simply need the browser to be fast enough that I dont want to fling the device across the room.

Apple users used to rule the fanboi roost, but it's clear the Phandroids have grabbed that crown.

Irrational hatred of all things Apple, denying anything from Apple might be a solid performer, no matter how much proof is in front of them.

And lets not forget, these comparisons between iOS and Android are always made using Android flagships, never the 98% of the absolute garbage, low end devices that account for most of the Android marketshare.

............................:eek:dear god i wouldnt be caught dead with that much icrap in my house

Ugh! I know what you mean! I have an iPhone and suffering it until I replace it with an android phone. I can't Imagine have anything more than that!

Guess they were afraid to compare to the Windows tablets....

(hey, someone had to say it)

Do you know how this is going to impact NVIDIA's Shield Tablet's market share? Oh wait, you can't divide by zero, never mind.

Im sorry but they are completely spinning this ina very interesting way. There is no way in hell that for a GAME that ipad air would smoke my nvidia tablet. They are full of shit. I dont do a whole lot of compressing video etc on my tablet either, so exactly how fast do I need this to be? I simply need the browser to be fast enough that I dont want to fling the device across the room.

I have play games on both tablet, I enjoy more on Android for it's Controller and TV support, also emulators....
But it's buggy in general. Especially Audio delay for almost every game that I play. It's stupid....

But for iPad, I enjoy more for its smoothness in FPS and definitely less buggy compare to Android.
The only grips I have for iPad are no good controller support, and no emulator support...
Otherwise I would definitely choose iPad over Android for the problem above...

Do you know how this is going to impact NVIDIA's Shield Tablet's market share? Oh wait, you can't divide by zero, never mind.

....lawlz.

Won't tablets with 64 bit cpus getting 64 bit builds of Android 5.0 lollipop make a big difference here?

Apple's walled garden is the ultimate deal breaker.

It really is. Just to make an iPhone as usable as a stock Android device, you have to jailbreak it. No sideloading, no alternative launchers or stores...

Even after Jailbreaking, you're still horribly limited in what you can do. I would argue the OS lock in makes the devices obsolete faster than Android devices that never get updated. At least when you unlock an Android device there's a plethora of roms you can put on them. case in point, after unlocking the bootloader on an old HTC Wildfire S, I put a slimmed down ICS Rom on it and turned it into a nice, lightweight MP3 player by adding a 32GB Micro SD card to it.

Still gotta use iTunes for that even on a jailbroken iPhone.

after unlocking the bootloader on an old HTC Wildfire S, I put a slimmed down ICS Rom on it and turned it into a nice, lightweight MP3 player by adding a 32GB Micro SD card to it.
that sounds downright revolutionary!

It really is. Just to make an iPhone as usable as a stock Android device, you have to jailbreak it. No sideloading, no alternative launchers or stores...

Even after Jailbreaking, you're still horribly limited in what you can do. I would argue the OS lock in makes the devices obsolete faster than Android devices that never get updated. At least when you unlock an Android device there's a plethora of roms you can put on them. case in point, after unlocking the bootloader on an old HTC Wildfire S, I put a slimmed down ICS Rom on it and turned it into a nice, lightweight MP3 player by adding a 32GB Micro SD card to it.

Still gotta use iTunes for that even on a jailbroken iPhone.

While I am a pretty technical person, technology has gotten so broad that I found I need to specialize more.

Yes all those abilities are great for people that want to put the time into it. This is a tech site, so obviously a lot more of us are willing to attempt the path. Much much more people are not.

I think it is extremely short sighted to use Androids customization, especially custom ROMS as a measure to compare "functionality". Android ROMS are worse then linux distros, there are so many its hard to know what is what without learning the "system" (unlocked bootloader vs root etc).

I have an HTC one... love it. Still google is must less refined and slick when it comes to transitioning from phone, to computer, to tablet then Apple. Photos is one blaring and HUGE example as we are ditching cameras for phones etc.

It's not android so it obviously sucks guys!

Lets see the test between the iPad Air 2, and the Nexus 9!
I'm with you...we need to see some actual tests not this kind of crap

10856-3294-PadAir2vsNexus9-l.png

Won't tablets with 64 bit cpus getting 64 bit builds of Android 5.0 lollipop make a big difference here?

Uh, 64-bit processors aren't faster than 32-bit processors. The biggest difference that people think about is memory addressing, but that's really only like a side effect of moving to a 64-bit platform...it's just the thing-y people are most familiar with because it's ultimately the only thing a non-programmer ever notices. Honestly, it really just means the processor sees instructions in 64 bit long words and, without changing a bunch of other stuff, that really doesn't translate into more performance over an otherwise identical 32-bit processor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit_computing

So yeah, basically no. Without other processor architecture changes, there'll be no big performance leap.

Considering they are comparing previous generation hardware of Android to a brand new piece of hardware this comparison means absolutely squat. How about using current hardware on both sides for an even comparison. The site is obviously on Apple's payroll

Considering they are comparing previous generation hardware of Android to a brand new piece of hardware this comparison means absolutely squat. How about using current hardware on both sides for an even comparison. The site is obviously on Apple's payroll
if people pre-ordering the nexus 9 are expecting previous generation android hardware when it arrives in a couple weeks, no wonder the platform is so fragmented

no one said the nexus 9 was previous hardware, it was excluded in the test on the front page of this site, thus it was missed.

no one said the nexus 9 was previous hardware, it was excluded in the test on the front page of this site, thus it was missed.
front page of which site? it's on the front (only) page of the linked article...but you have to have read the article to not "miss" it :rolleyes:

Not true. They are substantially faster at 64b integer arithmetic - this isn't a lot of applications, but it's an actual performance benefit.

That benefit isn't at all reflected in desktop use of a computer and prolly won't show up in a tablet benchmark comparing Android devices to Apple devices. Besides that, the iPhone is already using a 64-bit ARM processor since last generation. I would be not at all surprised if that's also true of iPads since they share a the same CPU.

That benefit isn't at all reflected in desktop use of a computer and prolly won't show up in a tablet benchmark comparing Android devices to Apple devices.
It's actual an important factor since Geekbench is heavily overweight on crypto benchmarks, of which 64-bit ARM has optimized instructions for SHA and AES.

It's actual an important factor since Geekbench is heavily overweight on crypto benchmarks, of which 64-bit ARM has optimized instructions for SHA and AES.

The 32-bit VIA C3/C7 was optimized for stuff like AES encryption. That sorta thing isn't necessarily due to a change to 64-bit processing.

The site your on, apparently you have to be told that. Also the benches from Apple Insider and what http://www.gsmarena.com differ, so who is publishing incorrect information (Ipad Air 2) isn't even included in GSM's results.

I would have to question gsm's results since they state they got numbers on a just released product, I will only believe someone who actually has one in their hands and has tested it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back