F.E.A.R. Online Is Free-To-Play On Steam

HardOCP News

[H] News
Aeria Games sends word that F.E.A.R. Online is now on Steam. Fans of the franchise will want to give it a try. It's a free-to-play game so there is nothing to lose.

The celebrated horror series makes a return in this brand-new installment. Can you withstand the supernatural menace held within Project Origin? Test your nerves and face your fear!

I've read that a lot of people can't stand it. It looks like FEAR 2 but plays nothing like it.

LOL, this is pure genius. When you get killed, you can press B to buy the overpowered gun of the person who just killed you. They're not even trying to hide the fact that it's Pay 2 Win anymore. It's a feature!

They charge for PvE.
Yep, you read right. You can do 3 COOP missions per 8h, which rounds up to around 1h if that.
Then, you either need to pay for more one-time tickets, or bugger off for 8h.
Let me say this again. They charge for PvE. They block off COOP completly behind a pay/timewall.
And I honestly don't really care about the typical Koream rent-a-gun system, I'm used to it more or less. But yeah, COOP being obviously treated as crap, in a game with the FEAR title, is one of the few things that would make me throw the game to the bin on the spot, as I did.

Last time.

They charge for PvE. Charge. For COOP.

Just two of 60+ thumbs down reviews. I'm passing.

Oh man, look at the player reviews, every single one is a thumbs down.

Nothing to loose but our time, and it looks like a giant waste of it.

Pure horseshit!!!! Do not spend a penny on this rip-off of a game. I hope Steam will take it down, as it's noting but a money grab in the most obvious of ways.... :rolleyes:

Wow, so much hate. It's FEAR 2, but with pay 2 win and skinning. Some of the purchase guns are overpowered, but it's not difficult to kill the guy with them, pick it up, and then go on a tear with it.

The maps are also a little convoluted, with too many ways to get from one side to the other so you can spawn camp, but the 5 second invulnerability timer helps negate spawn camping.

Is it flawed? Yes. Is it terrible? No.

I only played the original FEAR multiplayer. It was awesome, but it got completely overrun by hackers and I don't think there was any real fix to it.

Aeria Games... 'nuff said.

The anti-cheat that comes with the game is flagging almost every piece of streaming software as "suspicious," OBS in particular. Sounds like they don't want people to see the game? Weird for a supposedly "free" to play game...

Anti-cheats these days seem more like spyware than something made to stop cheating.

How do you change the resolution in the game? It says can't be done in game, but where else does it give you the opportunity. I know it's free (sorta), so not going to complain too much, but could the graphics not be better than FEAR 2?

how many years later?

I played all the Fear games, so I will try it, but I've never paid for any pay services, and don't plan to now.

Wow, so much hate. It's FEAR 2, but with pay 2 win and skinning. Some of the purchase guns are overpowered, but it's not difficult to kill the guy with them, pick it up, and then go on a tear with it.

The maps are also a little convoluted, with too many ways to get from one side to the other so you can spawn camp, but the 5 second invulnerability timer helps negate spawn camping.

IMO, Pay 2 win is terrible. It feels like a competition of who spends more.

FEAR 1 & 2 were good. 3 had good action, but no scares. Pretty short and average. But it was really an MP title with stats flying across your screen non-stop. This is even worse. Looks like a dull shooter that is pay to win.

May as well buy CoD, because you only have to pay once. And this really looks like a more gory CoD clone...

Yes, it's "FEAR 2, but with pay 2 win" :rolleyes:

There was a time I really liked FEAR 2 MP and played it a lot for a couple of weeks. Utterly broken in many ways but still fun to play.

Last week or so I took 10 minutes of my life watching this game on youtube and I find it almost nothing like FEAR 2. You can't just turn ANY existing shooter into a p2w fest without destroying it completely.

How do you change the resolution in the game? It says can't be done in game, but where else does it give you the opportunity. I know it's free (sorta), so not going to complain too much, but could the graphics not be better than FEAR 2?

how many years later?

Its the FEAR 2 Engine. It's going to look similar.

It's Aeria. Look at all their other games. I saw Aeria in the post and said NOPE.

Isn't Aeria the company that sells nude patches for their games?
Still not as bad as EA...

how many years later?

After you join a channel you should see the options icon near the top right of the screen.

I see you can host a 16 player game but if they don't add the control game mode FEAR Combat had, it won't be much use to me.

Back