Why Car Makers Are Stepping Up Their Video Game Presence

HardOCP News

[H] News
I think it makes perfect sense for car makers to step up their video game presence. It's probably one of the best ways to target current and future drivers all at the same time.

The cost of bringing digital ‘test drives’ to the public is exceptionally lower than the cost of staging worldwide showcase events. The choice for manufacturers is simple when considering that they can reach more people in less time for a lower cost. When it comes to marketing high-end vehicles and future models, the target audience is established career-minded people who play driving games for the joy of driving, and not because they are too young to legally drive on real roads. These people will be the future drivers that boost high-end vehicle sales.

I can see this leading to car manufacturers paying the game developers to boost the in-game performance of their cars. I imagine if you're a 14 year old kid, and you realize that you do consistently do better with vehicles from brandX, that might unconsciously play into your purchasing decisions later in life.

Good. Now Porsche needs to find a way to weasel out of their exclusivity deal with EA so we can get their cars in some real driving games again.

Back