Laptop DV6t Backlit keyboard

ThePie69

Weaksauce
I have a HP Pavilion DV6t Quad Custom Edition, from mid 2011. I was looking around online and came to the conclusion that there are not any backlit keyboard options for this laptop. What I wanted to no was if there was a way to buy a backlit keyboard from a similar Pavilion laptop and then rig that to work with my laptop. Anyone try anything like this before?

Nearly all laptops have propriety keyboards designed specifically for that model. Not only are they physically different most of the time, but the way the keyboard is secured is usually different (screw mounts in different locations or tabs) and the way it plugs into the motherboard is generally always different.

You'll need to find a very, very similar laptop that and hope for the best. You can sometimes get lucky with a generation before or after a laptop, but it's a long shot.

I would suggest looking to see what laptop your laptop replaced and what laptop replaced your laptop. Then comparing pictures of the keyboads for both of them and see if any match. Assuming either one has a backlit keyboard.

First image is of my keyboard
20141024_170905.jpg

Second is of a dv7t keyboard
934489904_565.jpg

I noticed that the ribbon cable points in different directions and im not sure how I would bend that to make it work. Not to mention there is another smaller, orange ribbon cable that is probably the power supply for the lights in the keyboard which I don't have anywhere to hook up to. Not sure if this is even possible but it would be really nice to have a laptop with a backlit keyboard.

Back