Dungeon Defenders 2 - "Defense Council" limited sale - Co-Op pack; Pair up, Save?

RanceJustice

Supreme [H]ardness
Hello everyone! Some may remember Dungeon Defenders as the very successful hybrid "action" tower defense title for PC via Steam on Win/Mac/Linux and a version on Android as well! The sequel, Dungeon Defenders II has been under construction for quite some time, in an early form of Alpha. From all reports, it seems as though they've been responsive to players concerns (for instance, recently they switched to using Steam for multiplayer, community etc... instead of some ass-backward third party faux "custom" social service for their games they were planning on at one time), but the only way to actually play was to win a seat on the "Defense Council" in one of their contests. Today, that changes!

They're selling a limited amount of Dungeon Defenders II "Defense Council" seats, in two packages - check them out here: https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/store . While a single version of the package is $30, they are offering a Co-Op version of the package which comes with extra unique goodies for both participants! I've been a big fan of Dungeon Defenders (and 'fancy' tower defense games in general, ever since SkibiTD back for Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne!), so I'm definitely interested, especially with the Linux client.

Thus, much like how has been done in the past for 2 packs and 4 packs for previous titles, I was thinking that [H[ types could get together and organize co-op buys amongst those interested. For instance, if anyone else wants to join me, feel free to send me a PM and I'll make the purchase and provide them the fellow Defense Councillor seat and Steam keys for all the bonuses! Lets act fast, as I am unsure how serious they are about "limited" spots, but in the past they've not made them very accessible.

Just thought I'd speedily pass this along in case there were interested parties, for either the solo, or the apparent better value and widget assortment of the co-op package!

After how shady they were recently I'm not really sure if I want to jump in on this.

To what sort of shadiness are you referring? I've not been following the company particularly closely as of late aside from DD2's development, so perhaps they did something of which I am not aware.

After how shady they were recently I'm not really sure if I want to jump in on this.

I remember you linked a Kotaku article some time ago about DDE and all of it's failures.

I did read that they added Offline Mode and Private Taverns. I haven't played in a while so I'm unsure of any optimizations to the UI.

If you care and have the patience you can read all the changes here:

https://www.dungeondefenders.com/eternity/topic/109498/patch-notes-54-updated-10202014

Start from the bottom since that's the oldest patch.

To what sort of shadiness are you referring? I've not been following the company particularly closely as of late aside from DD2's development, so perhaps they did something of which I am not aware.

This is the article he linked: http://kotaku.com/fans-furious-at-steam-game-for-drm-bugs-lack-of-singl-1609159467

I hope you get another person to get in on the deal! I would, but i'm just ready for the game to come out already. It feels like I've beta tested far too many games at this point.

Last edited:
Oh I see, yes I remember that. However, I do seem to remember them being pretty responsive as you note, that they added in offline play, private taverns etc.. and rectified some of the issues at launch. Much of what happened was because they attempted to create the "Playverse" login, which was a godawful integration system meant to deal with both the mobile version and Steam version (which had different monetization strategies, a big mistake in my book), but it does seem they've learned from that issue.

Personally, I would likely be so wary as to not consider backing if it wasn't for a major blog post I read recently - https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/114102/dev-blog-our-online-future - the decision to move forward exclusively through Steam without the Playverse overlay crap shows a huge amount of improvement and learning from their past mistakes.

Oh I see, yes I remember that. However, I do seem to remember them being pretty responsive as you note, that they added in offline play, private taverns etc.. and rectified some of the issues at launch. Much of what happened was because they attempted to create the "Playverse" login, which was a godawful integration system meant to deal with both the mobile version and Steam version (which had different monetization strategies, a big mistake in my book), but it does seem they've learned from that issue.

Personally, I would likely be so wary as to not consider backing if it wasn't for a major blog post I read recently - https://www.dungeondefenders.com/2/blog/114102/dev-blog-our-online-future - the decision to move forward exclusively through Steam without the Playverse overlay crap shows a huge amount of improvement and learning from their past mistakes.

Definitely, DD2 looks like it has a very bright future.

Hopefully it will. The biggest possible pitfall, in my opinion, is monetization; the thing that (at least for me) ruins many games these days. The industry is in the grip of what I consider pathogenic business practices that wouldn't have even made it out of the meeting room in the mid-late 2000's or earlier. If DDII can avoid sticking to the conventions of the industry, they'll be on their way to much greater success.

Having like-minded people on the Defense Council will only better such chances, and the fact that the DC itself is pretty reasonably priced is a big deal. I was rather afraid that it would be testing the water for "Whales", where a single copy would be $99 or more because they were harping "exclusivity" and/or only those with the biggest wallets onboard to parrot back "No, X is not unfairly priced", but I am pleased that things are not moving in this direction. Things seem worthwhile to give a try, especially as future bonuses to Defense Council seats can likely only increase.

If anyone else wants to get in on a Co-Op package, just send me a PM and we can work things out. They seem to have sold around 1/3 of their allotment of Defense Council seats since last night (as estimated by the amount of the purple bar filled in on the store page), so while it isn't quite like clamoring for rare Star Citizen items on sale, haste is beneficial regardless

Grabbed this game off Steam as it hit Early Access recently. It was $20 and money well spent. Every bit as fun as the original game and much better graphics. The developers have stated they are against P2W like Path of Exile has shown what F2P is when done right, so I'm not worried about that. What I am slightly concerned about is how much does bag / bank space cost, and what pricing are the cosmetics going to have.

But like I said so far the game is a joy to play. Zero complaints so far. Well one nitpick is that the UI didn't scale initially when I changed the resolution. So the "Accept" button was kinda off the screen. I hit ALT + ENTER and fixed in 1/10th of a second. More of a FYI than a complaint.

Dungeon Defenders was a fun little game for $3 or whatever I ended up paying for it. I don't see it as being a $20-30 title, though.

Dungeon Defenders was a fun little game for $3 or whatever I ended up paying for it. I don't see it as being a $20-30 title, though.

Great. Because it[Dungeon Defenders 2] is going to be free to play on launch.

Back