A Political Party For Nerds And Geeks

HardOCP News

[H] News
As funny as this idea sounds, a political party made up of geeks and nerds would definitely be cooler than what we have now. ;)

I propose the Geeks and Nerds United party, or GNU, which is also an awesome triple entendre for fans of both open-source software and wildebeests. It could also be pronounced "new party," since it will also be just that, a new political party.

Because extremely ideological niche political parties do so well....right? :rolleyes:

Until the average voter stops claiming to be one party or another and starts actually voting based on a candidates ability to run the country, nothing will change. Given the average voter is terminally stupid, that is never going to happen.

Because extremely ideological niche political parties do so well....right? :rolleyes:

Until the average voter stops claiming to be one party or another and starts actually voting based on a candidates ability to run the country, nothing will change. Given the average voter is terminally stupid, that is never going to happen.

If Microsoft are the republicans and Apple are the democrats, then this party is definitely the GNU/Linux of the group.
With just as much market-share! :D

Ok, I have to do this...

Lets have some fun with this. Make up a list of people who think would actually do what you want when in office. Then make up a list of the people who you think would do what is best for the country. Then post anyone who is on both lists. Remember if you really want to have some fun this election day have a massive write in campaign so that there are more write in's than people running... they need to be real people and they need to meet actually meet the requirments below:

Clause 5: No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Basically you can write in any name you want and if say wait until like the 1st of November to post the lists to twitter, facebook, g+, or what ever social networking sites you can get away with, wait and the message will still be in people's minds on the 4th. Do it too early and people will get side tracked or forget or it will not be a novelty. You get 1% of popular vote you get your political party in the next election as an actual party with public funding and all. Do this right and it will be entertaining as all get out when they have to physically count all the votes to make sure of spelling and figure out if the person is real or not... the best thing would be some random person get elected who did not spend any ad dollars. The look on the people who through millions of ad dollars at the political race would be an instance meme.

Can cats become members? If so, count me in for two.

heh, I think your secret identity has been revealed.
Behold! The truth!

200_s.gif

Also, Halloween is coming up, so be prepared:

53c93a818234ee25b55b0f68f07f185e.jpg

heh, I think your secret identity has been revealed.
Behold! The truth!

http://media0.giphy.com/media/FElR3ylsj6PTy/200_s.gif

Also, Halloween is coming up, so be prepared:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/53/c9/3a/53c93a818234ee25b55b0f68f07f185e.jpg

Nooooo! My clever disguise is ruined!

I do admit the idea of going as a cardboard box for Halloween did cross my mind. My office is having the usual party and I usually do something since there are so many grumpy pants people that don't even bother with a costume at all.

Nooooo! My clever disguise is ruined!

I do admit the idea of going as a cardboard box for Halloween did cross my mind. My office is having the usual party and I usually do something since there are so many grumpy pants people that don't even bother with a costume at all.

Your co-workers:

photo.jpg

You know it to be true! :D

Nerds with the ability to lead are a rare commodity, and most of the time they're spoiled by the point they are any good, too self-absorbed with their "ha HA MASTERBLASTER RUNS BARTERTOWN!" egos at that point to do anything except take credit and deflect blame. Usually these folks fold under scrutiny, when they find their bag of non-nerd tricks like, say, communication with people who aren't also nerds...tends to fail them.

.....hmmm..it's like I'm referencing some National Administration indirectly or something....weird......

am i the only one who thinks "nerds" and "geeks" is insulting and derogatory?

super unprofessional too....

Screw it.
Let's write in Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig!
After Bush and Obama a stuttering idiot that opposes gun control and enough bacon to piss off all of the radical Islamics in the world would be a step up.

am i the only one who thinks "nerds" and "geeks" is insulting and derogatory?

super unprofessional too....
We'll just do what africans do with the word ++++++. We'll use nerd and geek as a positive reference with each other but non nerds/geeks who use these words will be offending us.

Now we just need an offensive word for non nerds/geeks and we're set.

Sure, President Obama -- as he's proven with his campaigns' skillful use of social media and data to crush his last two competitors -- is more of a nerd than any other recent commanders in chief,

Yeah, what a great example of a guy who is great at getting elected and not much else. Let's emulate that.

What do we stand for? Because we've been sitting too long at the computer. What do we want? An unlocked E5-2699 v3. When do we want it? Right after this guy gets done installing Google Fiber.

What do we stand for? Because we've been sitting too long at the computer. What do we want? An unlocked E5-2699 v3. When do we want it? Right after this guy gets done installing Google Fiber.

I'd settle for reasoning and thinking. Universal standards, the push for solar or clean power, and a better understanding of how things fucking work. Things like net neutrality and how there isn't such a thing as limited bandwidth unless you want limited bandwidth.

Right now more Americans listen to Bill O'Reilly rather someone who's actually a scientist. Cause when you say something stupid like "Tides go in, Tides go out, you can't explain that", we have done fucked up as a society.

Things like net neutrality and how there isn't such a thing as limited bandwidth unless you want limited bandwidth.

?

Bandwidth *is* a limited resource. So is oil, or potable water, or electricity. There's a lot of it, but that doesn't mean it's unlimited.

Right now more Americans listen to Bill O'Reilly rather someone who's actually a scientist. Cause when you say something stupid like "Tides go in, Tides go out, you can't explain that", we have done fucked up as a society.
Not sure if you caught it several years ago, America voted Jon Stewart the most trusted news journalist in our country. Meanwhile the only possible reason to watch FNC is for comedic value.

I'd settle for reasoning and thinking. Universal standards, the push for solar or clean power, and a better understanding of how things fucking work. Things like net neutrality and how there isn't such a thing as limited bandwidth unless you want limited bandwidth.

I get tired of the inordinate amount of Fox News bashing, but I hate O'Reilly, and that moment is on par with his Inside Edition freakout. He really does pander to such a juvenile, boorish mindset. That quote is pure gold.

That said, therein lies the difference I see particularly within the tech community, and what would make up a party like this: elitism. I hate O'Reilly, but I don't think the people he appeals to are inferior or unequal to me. I also have no urge to silence him just because he disagrees. Many people do...and many of them tend to be "nerds" and "geeks". Such a party would be filled with snobby, elitist, bourgeois(ironically) neo-Marxists and technocrats dreaming of the day when they can take rights away from "stupid people".

I know, not sexy, or rich, like this:

ballmersweaty.jpg

I'm sure there were a lot of people at that conference that were thinking, "Oh-em-gee, I want to rip off his shirt and lick the gold-laced sweat from his leaking armpits!"

Anyhow, I bet it was really hot outside that day and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never did another outdoor event like that again.

One of the must unscientific views that is commonly held today is that Scientists are somehow free of ideology, bias, fraud or corruption.

Further, reasoning and thinking is not enough. Bright, reasonable people can have radically different values.

Values give us Ideology and Ideology gives us policy.

It's such a farce when people just say "we need people to get together and do what's best for the country!"

I can guaran-damn-tee you that we won't agree on what is best for the country because we likely have very different value priorities.

It kills me when people ignore scientists because they "have biases" and instead just listen to people who have biases and no scientific background or knowledge at all. That's not an excuse!

Such a party would be filled with snobby, elitist, bourgeois(ironically) neo-Marxists and technocrats dreaming of the day when they can take rights away from "stupid people".

So, the GNU Party is just the renaming of the Democratic Party? :p

It's usually the stupid people that want to take people's rights away
I honestly thought it was the wealthiest people (the minority) wanting to as to protect themselves from the poor (the majority) coming and eating them when they're starving to death.

With the way the system is rigged it's not surprising to me.

richpoor1.jpg

Maybe it's the stupid rich people....lol

So, the GNU Party is just the renaming of the Democratic Party? :p

The Democrats would be more easily routed if they were made up of these bastards. Instead they're made up of talking heads that create an environment in which these totalitarian freaks are able to operate with impunity.

It's not even that, just someone needs to come along with a shit ton of money until then third parties have a snowballs chance in hell.

I honestly thought it was the wealthiest people (the minority) wanting to as to protect themselves from the poor (the majority) coming and eating them when they're starving to death.

With the way the system is rigged it's not surprising to me.

richpoor1.jpg

Maybe it's the stupid rich people....lol

That's not far off from how it looks around here, but instead of shacks it's trailer homes.

Back