Kickstarter Hoverboard Sounds Like A 'Banshee'

HardOCP News

[H] News
A $10,000 hoverboard that only works on a solid copper floor? I think I'll pass. But hey, if that's too rich for your blood, the company sells non-functioning replicas for just $499. :eek:

While "completely safe," it’s far from silent. Where the white box sounded like a loud desktop computer, the sound coming out of the hoverboard prototype is like a high-pitched screech. This will be dampened by the time the company has a more polished version of the hoverboard ready by this time next year, Henderson promises, but for now it’s a cacophony of squeals when you get on. The word "Banshee" comes to mind.

So makes oscillating magnetic field to keep stable over conductive surface? Seems like the video would be pretty accurate in how long the batteries would last with that thing too. Reminds me of RC cars of old, play for 5 minutes, 8 hours of charging.

My first reaction is "more like barely-hover board". But hey, little steps here and there. Maybe my grand kids will actually have a real hoverboard.

the roads will be paved with copper instead of gold after this gets a few more gens in

Hoverboards are a physical impossibility with current technology. Sure you can make one that works in a very controlled environment is possible. It is almost impossible to create an environment in which it can be used. If you have to have a reactive surface to create and environment for this to work it really isn't a hoverboard but rather a magnetic field board.

I don't see why this concept can't be used with miniature jet engines.

I don't see why this concept can't be used with miniature jet engines.

I'm sure it could.. but there is a lot more things near the ground that could be sucked into the intake then there are up in the sky where jet engines normally are.

Plus.. would you want jet fuel right under your feet?

I'm sure it could.. but there is a lot more things near the ground that could be sucked into the intake then there are up in the sky where jet engines normally are.

Plus.. would you want jet fuel right under your feet?

Well given jet fuel is actually extremely stable and far less volatile than gas...sure.

Well given jet fuel is actually extremely stable and far less volatile than gas...sure.

I've dropped a lit match in to jet fuel before as a demonstration - the match went out.

Jet fuel is basically the same thing as kerosene, and very similar to diesel fuel - it must be vaporized to ignite. (In fact, you can run jet fuel/kerosene in a diesel engine with no problems, you just have to lube the engine more often.)

First step in the right direction, but not even close to actual functionality.

Besides, THOSE BOARDS DON'T WORK ON WATER!

UNLESS YOU GOT POWAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I've dropped a lit match in to jet fuel before as a demonstration - the match went out.

Jet fuel is basically the same thing as kerosene, and very similar to diesel fuel - it must be vaporized to ignite. (In fact, you can run jet fuel/kerosene in a diesel engine with no problems, you just have to lube the engine more often.)

Yep, it always surprises me how little people know about jet fuel. They seem to think it is this crazy explosive stuff. When in reality is quite honestly is damn near surprising it burns at all. JP-8, Kerosene, Diesel..all really hard to burn without the exact conditions. Yet we "common people" handle stuff every day that is multiple times more likely to flash ignite and harm/kill us. It is pretty ironic when you think about it.

They build skate parks with ramps and rails and stuff for skateboarders. No reason the rich mofos buying hoverboards won't build hoverparks covered in copper.

Personally, I'm waiting for some genius to come to the conclusion the largest easily accessible copper plates are on roofs and the inevitable happens. I just hope they get it on a gopro.

Why the fuck does every video have to have that shitty inspirational music in it?

That was my first thought as well. Hover dollies!

wouldnt it still be really heavy and hard to push? how would it be any different than a wheeled dolly in that regard? being an inch off the ground wouldnt make it weightless. :confused:

wouldnt it still be really heavy and hard to push? how would it be any different than a wheeled dolly in that regard? being an inch off the ground wouldnt make it weightless. :confused:

You wouldn't have the friction associated with something having actual contact with the surface. I think of it like putting those furniture sliders under a couch to make it easier to move. You've seen how easy a hockey puck slides on ice or the puck on an air hockey table. Even a wheeled object generates a decent amount of friction when moving.

Back