Microsoft Delivers The Industry’s Complete Cloud

HardOCP News

[H] News
Monday, at an event in San Francisco, Microsoft Corp. CEO Satya Nadella outlined how Microsoft is using Microsoft Azure, Office 365 and Microsoft Dynamics to deliver the industry’s most complete cloud — for every business, every industry and every geography. Furthering this commitment, Microsoft announced several enhancements to its hyper-scale, enterprise-grade, hybrid cloud platform, including the new Azure G-series of virtual machines and Premium Storage; the general availability of the Microsoft Cloud Platform System, powered by Dell; partnerships with Cloudera Inc. and CoreOS; and a new Azure Marketplace.

C5ASI2t.jpg

The NSA approves.

Pretty amazing how 3 words surmised what I wanted to write in paragraphs.
That plus also: suuure, companies all over the word want MS to have all their data, impossible to see a problem with that, you know its all 'secured' and stuff.

If this crap succeeds.. that will be amazingly stupid... I think it will actually, 'cause money.
You know why pay some cats to have an IT department, if you can pay MS some monthly amount, you know the cost is fixed, FIXED I tell you, we will always be on budget and stuff, no OT, no vacations of the X systems guy, so we have to wait (or hire another if he/she quits)

No thanks, you can keep you subscription based "cloud" service. I would rather our information be hosted and controlled locally where the data is centralized and secure. Having it hosted in an outsourced data center with other unknown hosts and clients sounds like recipe for disaster.

That plus also: suuure, companies all over the word want MS to have all their data, impossible to see a problem with that, you know its all 'secured' and stuff.

Ah, yes. The "Micro$oft is teh devil11!!1" circlejerk continues. :rolleyes:

Microsoft at least is willing to put certain commitments about where your stuff is and who has access to it in a contract. That beats a lot of the other guys. However, they are still prone to the risks of that industry in that you get the level of security the host feels like providing. Which might be good enough if you were a small shop, but the host is now a GIANT target with huge rewards to the risk. They need to be significantly better, and they may not be putting in that effort.

If this crap succeeds.. that will be amazingly stupid... I think it will actually, 'cause money.
You know why pay some cats to have an IT department, if you can pay MS some monthly amount, you know the cost is fixed, FIXED I tell you, we will always be on budget and stuff, no OT, no vacations of the X systems guy, so we have to wait (or hire another if he/she quits)

It won't remain fixed. You have the wall street pundit types starting to turn on these service clouds because they ALL lose money, and that means it fails to create stock value and eats away at dividends.

We are currently moving crap to the cloud. It's ALL more expensive than doing it in house, and MS is more expensive than most (which is why they lose the least amount of money). The cloud makes sense for primarily for a few reasons 1) if you don't have a machine room, the price differential can be covered by the capital cost savings for a while depending on the size of machine room you'd need. 2) You have highly variable demand for your services. If you have to provision a lot of idle CPU to deal with peaks, there is definitely the possibility for real savings. 3) If you have been around long enough to be saddled with a lot of computer operators who are union, it's a REALLY easy way to get rid of them.

Outside of that, if you expect the same level of integration of "commodity" services like email with weird business stuff, or the same level of special treatment for special people, you will be burning more man hours to administer and support it. As for hardware and machine room costs, the price of cloud services is not decreasing as fast as the cost of hardware and power usage is.

So if you are like netflix and primetime usage vs. mid-day usage is that insanely different? Probably awesome. However, if that is the usual customer, and they don't have comfortably differing periods of high use, the cloud provider has to cover that problem, and that isn't free.

Back