Should you be able to change your PSN name?

Should Sony let users change their name at will? Even for a minimal cost.

• Yes

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
Now to start off, there has been SOME talk from Sony earlier this year that they are aware that we want to change our PSN name.

"PSN Name Change Considered by Sony: “We Get Why It’s Important”"

"Following further details about PS4 firmware update 1.70, Scott McCarthy, Director of Product Planning & Software Innovation at SCEA, answered a bunch of questions on the PS Blog. One of the topics revolved around PSN name changes, with Scott saying, “We’ve considered it. How often do you think you would use it?” Following that exchange, another person suggested we’d only need to use the PSN name change once, which prompted Scott to reply:

"Yup. One time use is the norm. We get why it’s important. Gamers change and mature, just like the console!"
-playstationlifestyle

I also sparked an interest for creating this thread from an article IGN published online a few weeks ago. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/25/dear-sony-let-us-change-our-psn-names

So the question is: Do you think changing your PSN name is somewhat important? Or does it not matter?

Personally for me, I've had the same PSN name for several years and quite frankly, I didn't pick it. A family friend gave it to me (PS3) after they didn't play it, and I actually stopped PC gaming from there on." I KNOW!"
I was unfamiliar with the whole trophy system and being able to sync trophies to following systems with that name. That is my newbie behavior that makes me really want a name change possible.
I never changed my PSN name due to the fact I didn't want to lose all my digital purchases and saved games in the first place. I should of done it the first time I wanted to , but would of lost a hundred or so hours worth of games and MONEY purchased on the Playstation Store.

Would being able to change my PSN name make my life any better? No. No it wouldn't, but it wouldn't hurt it either. It's now more of a gift than the actual norm of being able to do so "Cough" "Cough" (XBOX).

Oh yeah, and my PSN name is ridiculous. MSCOOLMUSIC. Give me a break! SMH.

So I ask you Sony, please please let us change our PSN name.

The question isn't if they'll do it now, it's when they plan to flip the switch.

Last edited:
It is stupid. Worst decision of my life was to put my real name as PSN id. Also I tried changing my nickname which is never used. So everyone knows my real name. Not that I give a shit but it is retarded.

Another way PC gaming is better. Not sure why the fuck you can't change it on PSN and why Xbox charges you for a NAME CHANGE. Talk about nickel and diming to the max. I did choose an actual username though. Never use a real name unless it asks for it.

It's probably because when they devised the system it was tied to the user ID instead of a separate identifier.

It's completely asinine either way but it's probably pretty serious back end issues otherwise they would have done it by now. Something is preventing it and tbh I would have already ordered outside help to fix it but whatever.

They aren't exactly swimming in money even with the PS4 selling well. They should get on this asap and charge $10-$20. Maybe they're scared that something will go wrong and it will bring down PSN for a long time?

They aren't exactly swimming in money even with the PS4 selling well. They should get on this asap and charge $10-$20. Maybe they're scared that something will go wrong and it will bring down PSN for a long time?

I don't think they are afraid of PSN going down, I think they are afraid of all their subscribers losing their downloaded games and purchases permanently.

Yes I think it's that serious.

"I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee" - Mr. Duvall Mean Girls

Yes, but just once, or once every X # of years.

One of the downsides are people that grief/hack/troll and get by the system by constantly changing their username. Makes reports on them sporadic, even if there is a "previously aliases" list ala 360 or Steam.

Yes, but just once, or once every X # of years.

One of the downsides are people that grief/hack/troll and get by the system by constantly changing their username. Makes reports on them sporadic, even if there is a "previously aliases" list ala 360 or Steam.

That is a very legitimate downside, so you would have to limit how often you can change your nick. Or just add an option to have an alias on your PSN account to actually use in game instead of your actual PSN id.

Yeah and it's free the first time use I believe.

It wasn't free for me, but it was a number of years ago when I switched it. In my case, I had used 'SeymourGore' during the original Xbox Live, and had let my subscription run out. I resubscribed during the 360 era, but had to create a new username (the original subscription was in my grandfather's name). Then at some point, MS made the decision to release old gamertags that were expired and unused, so I went on and purchased my original gamertag.

Personally, I like the fact they charge a fee for name changes, like another poster brought up, if they were unlimited/free changes, it'd open a breeding ground for trolls.

And as for the topic itself - yeah, Sony should allow PSN namechanges. And like another poster suspected, I agree that there's probably a larger, infrastructure related reason Sony hasn't brought the feature live yet.

I think $10-$15 is fair, it should more than cover their costs to try to program it in properly so people don't lose their stuff in the first place.

It wasn't free for me, but it was a number of years ago when I switched it. In my case, I had used 'SeymourGore' during the original Xbox Live, and had let my subscription run out. I resubscribed during the 360 era, but had to create a new username (the original subscription was in my grandfather's name). Then at some point, MS made the decision to release old gamertags that were expired and unused, so I went on and purchased my original gamertag.

Personally, I like the fact they charge a fee for name changes, like another poster brought up, if they were unlimited/free changes, it'd open a breeding ground for trolls.

And as for the topic itself - yeah, Sony should allow PSN namechanges. And like another poster suspected, I agree that there's probably a larger, infrastructure related reason Sony hasn't brought the feature live yet.
So there is absolutely zero issues with say Battlefield 4 stats or something of that nature as far as stats goes? It just changes the name and you're good to go?

So there is absolutely zero issues with say Battlefield 4 stats or something of that nature as far as stats goes? It just changes the name and you're good to go?

All of my achievements and saved games weren't touched - but I can't give you 100% certainty on games like BF4. I didn't really play much on my consoles and never played games that required separate logins for services on the consoles (ie: EA's battlelog, etc). I'm going to assume 'yes', but wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Back