A Microsoft Smartwatch Coming Within Weeks?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I was under the impression that the smartwatch market just isn't taking off like manufacturers had hoped. Now we have Apple and Microsoft trowing their hats in the ring?

Microsoft is gearing up to launch a wearable device within the next few weeks, Forbes has learned. The gadget is a smart watch that will passively track a wearer’s heart rate and work across different mobile platforms. It will also boast a battery life of more than two days of regular use, sources close to the project say.

It sounds like they thought things through, considering it syncs with iPhone, Android, and Windows Phone, on top of the battery life.

Soon the smartest thing about people is going to be watch on their wrist

I still think all these manufacturers are going about this all wrong. Notifications? Yes. A whole display full of shit? No.

Take a standard digital watch and allow it to sync over BT to your phone to get weather, notifications. That's it. I'm not going to read my email on my watch, I'm not going to read news stories, play around on Facebook, take pictures with my watch. A watch is an instant gratification device. Look at it, get your information. Nobody really wants to swipe through various things to get to their information, that's what the phone (computer) in your pocket is for. Look at it to get my notification, then use my head to determine if I should pull out my phone to act on that notification.

Eh, I get notifications audibly to tell the difference between an email, text, etc, and can just glance at my phone's homescreen.

Watches, aside from a pure fashion accessory, are just so 90s. They serve no practical purpose.

If you really want something practical on your wrists, wear bracers. Very useful for melee knife combat, archery, and bowling. *nods*

You know, if you could pack the whole phone, including a HD curved screen, onto a bracer-like flexible device you could still hold it up to your ear to talk by just lifting the inside of your wrist up to your ear. You would never have to "pick up" your smartphone.

It would be a practical version of the science fiction wrist computer.

Might work as soon as we can make the devices flexible enough to be sort of like clothing. They're already thin enough...

Smart watches are the mid-90s VR of 2014. A good idea without the technology to support it, or an idea of what it should do.

If the Surface is any indication though, Microsoft will get it right on their third try, right about the time the market is in decline.

Eh, I get notifications audibly to tell the difference between an email, text, etc, and can just glance at my phone's homescreen.

Watches, aside from a pure fashion accessory, are just so 90s. They serve no practical purpose.

If you really want something practical on your wrists, wear bracers. Very useful for melee knife combat, archery, and bowling. *nods*

You know what I use my watch for? Telling me what time it is. :p

ViewDBImage.aspx

You know what I use my watch for? Telling me what time it is. :p
Ya, but how often do you have to check the time? My phone shows me the time at a glance in huge clear font... And if I needed to REALLY focus on the time, there are not only clock apps but stopwatch timer deals if I'm in some mission impossible scenario waiting for my accomplices to get in position before blowing the vault.

Watches are redundant.

Ya, but how often do you have to check the time? My phone shows me the time at a glance in huge clear font... And if I needed to REALLY focus on the time, there are not only clock apps but stopwatch timer deals if I'm in some mission impossible scenario waiting for my accomplices to get in position before blowing the vault.

Watches are redundant.

A lot more than ever once your life gets busier. I used to not have to watch the time as often as now because of meetings, events, etc. The main issue with the phone is when it is out of reach. If you are sitting at the dinner table or on the couch and it's in your pocket, you probably need to get up to take it out of your pocket. If you are outside and it's in a pocket that's under another layer of clothing, it can be a big pain to fish out your phone. (People in cold areas will understand this more.) Then all the other times where you left the phone on the charger in another room and don't have it on you. I would agree the phone can make due in cases where you don't have a watch but a watch can still be handy by being the most convenient.

Watches are redundant.

Stop wearing seiko's? Only people I've ever heard make that statement have actually owned a good watch. If you don't know how many jewels are in the movement or what a jeweled movement is, it isn't a good watch.

On topic, taking bets that this one is just as overpriced, ugly and useless as Apple's.

Yeah, and if you don't know what a flabbity-flajello-pudding-techno-jargonian is you clearly aren't eating good quality fruit snacks. :rolleyes: Seriously, watches are like just silly and only insecure people wear them in an attempt to show off socioeconomic status they don't actually have.

You know, if you could pack the whole phone, including a HD curved screen, onto a bracer-like flexible device you could still hold it up to your ear to talk by just lifting the inside of your wrist up to your ear. You would never have to "pick up" your smartphone.

It would be a practical version of the science fiction wrist computer.

Might work as soon as we can make the devices flexible enough to be sort of like clothing. They're already thin enough...

This. Think something like the Pipboy, with an interface designed to be operated with one hand. Also, if it could double as a combat bracer, that would be nice. TAKE MY MONEY.

Yeah, and if you don't know what a flabbity-flajello-pudding-techno-jargonian is you clearly aren't eating good quality fruit snacks. :rolleyes: Seriously, watches are like just silly and only insecure people wear them in an attempt to show off socioeconomic status they don't actually have.

And you expect me to time my run now exactly? :rolleyes:

Why are you timing things like that? :confused:

That, and your previous statement, are some of the dumbest things I have ever heard. And yes, I wear a watch because I check the time 30 times a day more or less. It just becomes inconvenient to take my phone in and out of my pocket that much.

By getting an armband phone holder like someone born after 1970 would do. *shrugs*

Heh, your kinda dumb aren't you? You use a armband holder to listen to music while running. If your one of the people who doesn't, why would you wear a clunky armband over a watch?

Watches are more convenient than a phone for it's stated purpose, telling time. Much like a standalone GPS is better than your phone when it comes to navigating while driving (especially when considering data usage and a smartphone's shitty battery life). If they create a smartwatch that is more convenient than using an ordinary watch, then I'd be all over it. Otherwise I'll just keep my "old fashioned" wrist watch.

That, and your previous statement, are some of the dumbest things I have ever heard. And yes, I wear a watch because I check the time 30 times a day more or less. It just becomes inconvenient to take my phone in and out of my pocket that much.

You knooow, I don't see why you'd need to look at a stupid phone to check the time either. There are clocks on walls, clocks in cars, clocks on signs, radio announcers regularly say what time it is, computers all display the time. Pretty much every device on the planet tells you what time it is so neither a watch or a phone is needed to know what time it is at any given moment. Personally, I think neither a watch or a phone is needed, but if you're not ready to think in bigger terms than, "If not phone then watch," well I suppose my broader wisdom would seem kinda superficially dumb or at least incomprehensible enough that critical thinking would be important in "getting the picture" so that dismissing it is easier for someone less capable. :D

You knooow, I don't see why you'd need to look at a stupid phone to check the time either. There are clocks on walls, clocks in cars, clocks on signs, radio announcers regularly say what time it is, computers all display the time. Pretty much every device on the planet tells you what time it is so neither a watch or a phone is needed to know what time it is at any given moment. Personally, I think neither a watch or a phone is needed, but if you're not ready to think in bigger terms than, "If not phone then watch," well I suppose my broader wisdom would seem kinda superficially dumb or at least incomprehensible enough that critical thinking would be important in "getting the picture" so that dismissing it is easier for someone less capable. :D

Yep. Every room in my house has at least two, often three or four devices that tell me the time. My work is no different.

And when I'm out to dinner and need to know the time, well I'll take it out of my lapel pocket. Stand up to take a phone out? Not really. Unless you're wearing leggings of skintight jeans (which I do wear, and still don't have this issue lol)

You need a suit coat and a nice pocket watch. I always thought pocket watches were a nice addition if you're gonna go for the whole timepiece as jewelery thing.

1. You have to look around for a clock. When I dont have a watch and my phone is dead and I need to know the time, sometimes I need to look around the room for 15 seconds to find a clock in a crowded room. Comoare this to glancing at a watch, takes 1 second.

2. Watches are also a fashion accessory. Im not really into this but I do like to look good and a watch can help compliment a wardrobe.

3. Watches offer IMMEDIATE access to time. I don't think you realize how convenient this can be, especially for people who often check the time.

Watches are useful. It's just that lots of things perform much of the same use. I had mine mostly as a useful fashion accessory. Acquired a kid, and they are back to being useful. With a small child in tow, going for the phone for date and time is extremely unwieldy, and you care about what time it is at much more frequent intervals with said kid.

Back