Cheapest 27" 2560x1440 Name Brand IPS Monitor?

texnote

n00b
I have a AOC Q2770PQU at work which I love, and would like to get something of the same or comparable quality for home, but cheaper.

Any suggestions?

I don't do ANY gaming. Monitor will be used for browsing, editing documents, and watching videos 99% of the time.

Thanks very much!

Paul

You can get the BenQ BL2710PT for 378 shipped directly from BenQ - see thread:

http://slickdeals.net/f/7249442-ben...tor-for-374-plus-shipping-at-shop-benq-us?v=1

Just need to use chat to get the coupon activated once you have the monitor in your cart. Comes with a 3 year warranty. I would also look at the crossover 27QW off ebay. It is a Korean model but the AH-IPS panels are really nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CROSSOV...3594?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4d251855ba

Here is also a good article for 27" 2560 x 1440 monitors:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-27-monitors-2014-2560x1440-ahva-ips-pls.html

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, the BenQ is out of stock and the stand on the Crossover looks really cheap and flimsy (is it really?). I will keep an eye out for the BenQ ...

The Acer K272HUL is $399, and goes on sale for $300-$350 on Newegg from time to time.

Ok, let me expand the choice to non-name-brand Korean models.

Which is the absolute best 2560x1440 monitor for text for hours on end? The Crossover 2720MDP?

Last edited:
Any of the AH-IPS with plasma deposition coating will be the best for text - i.e. the crossover 27qw, yamakasi dsp270 etc. If you check out the last link I posted above it will go over the strengths and weaknesses of a number of different IPS 27" 2560x1440 panels. However, for the price of a stand (all of the Korean stands suck) and a 3 year square trade warranty, you will be very close to the price of a BenQ or Acer on sale. If you can hold out until then, you might be better off. That being said, I love my Yamakasi ds270 - I do a lot of coding on that panel.....

Besides some of the Korean imports, which other monitors have plasma deposition coating?

Besides some of the Korean imports, which other monitors have plasma deposition coating?

iiyama XB2779QS (Europe only), Planar PXL2790MW and Monoprice (1 year warranty), but they all have a very high minimum brightness of 160cdm/2. The Nixeus VUE27D is fine, but a waste of money vs. buying a Korean version (single input Wasabi Mango QHD277/Crossover 27QW or multi-input Crossover since the other multi-input Korean versions lack proper brightness controls)+Squaretrade Warranty+3rd party stand if you want one. Plasma Deposition Coating ruins the perceived black depth and is bad for movies, but the best for text.

The glossy Yamakasi Catleap 2B (350$) is the best choice right now since it is cheap, glossy, has excellent colour presets and can overclock. The Acer K272 suffers from obvious overshoot ghosting (set your AOC's overdrive setting to the max) which will show up in movies.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
NCX, your advice and reviews pointed me to the AOC Q2770PQU and I am very happy with it, thank you. My work bought it for me for $450 from amazon.

Now, for home use, and paying out of my own pocket, it seems like a multi-input Crossover is the cheaper choice for text (don't care much above movies). So, three questions please:

What reasonably priced stand do you recommend for the Crossover?

Is there a preferred/better seller of this monitor on the web?

Is there a non-Korean 27" monitor comparable in text quality to the Crossover and under $450? AOC, BenQ, Acer, HP, ...?

Thanks again!

Paul

It seems like a multi-input Crossover is the cheaper choice for text (don't care much above movies). So, three questions please:

1.) What reasonably priced stand do you recommend for the Crossover?
2.) Is there a preferred/better seller of this monitor on the web?
3.) Is there a non-Korean 27" monitor comparable in text quality to the Crossover and under $450? AOC, BenQ, Acer, HP, ...?

Which multi-input Crossover? If you don't need the extra inputs get a Wasabi Mango QHD277 or single input 27QW

1.) I don't live in the US or research this and the cheap Gateway stand I bought from eBay is no longer available.
2.) Can't answer this since I don't know which monitor you are referring to. The Amazon US Korean monitors are often cheaper vs. eBay
3.) There are no name brand glossy monitors and the name brand monitors with PDC are not as good as the Korean options.

If you live near a Microcetenter you can try out an Auria for 400$, but IDK if it is good and they sell glossy and matte versions of the same model without away to differentiate aside from opening the box.

Thanks, I will look at the Crossover ones. I prefer a multi-input in case it's used with other PCs in the future.

At these prices (roughly $400), I am now wondering whether I should get another AOC Q2770PQU or BenQ BL2710PT. But if you say that text is noticeably better on the Crossover, then I will get a Crossover.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
NCX, my confusion comes from the DVI-D spec on the dock, and on the 27QW. From what I can see the DVI-D on the 27QW is dual-link. I don't know if the dock's DVI-D is also dual link.

Again I apologize if I am saying something which is factually incorrect and would appreciated being corrected and educated.

For instance the WASABI-MANGO QHD275 (on eBay now for $269.90 from green-sum) has a dual link DVI-D. Will it be compatible at full resolution with the Lenovo Dock?

I Googled ThinkPad Ultra Dock and can see that it has a DVI-D port from Google Images, but the first web search result for "ThinkPad Ultra Dock Maximum Resolution," states that it is only single link. The ThinkPad Ultra Dock seems like a first class POS for 300$. The 27QW HDMI supports 2560x1440 or HDMI 1.4, but who knows if the ThinkPad Ultra Dock does.

The QHD275 uses a matte AHVA panel and the 2 other tested Korean AHVA panels use PWM=No.

Thanks, I agree about the Ultra Dock! From what I can see it's also single link.

However it seems like it's display port can support 2560x1440.

So in order to use the 27QW I will need a display port to dual link DVI adapter. I will look for one. If you have a favorite, please let me know!

Thanks again!

Paul

So in order to use the 27QW I will need a display port to dual link DVI adapter. I will look for one. If you have a favorite, please let me know!

An ACTIVE DP-DVI-D is required and they cost 80$+, so spend the extra 30$ on the 27QW DP you linked above.

I have an X-Star DP2710. 1440p @ 120hz. DVI-D (your dock shown has it). Great for movies and programming.

They're on Ebay. From Korea, $289, free shipping.

An ACTIVE DP-DVI-D is required and they cost 80$+, so spend the extra 30$ on the 27QW DP you linked above.

The one I linked is active and works very well for my yamakasi ds270 and precision m4800 display port. You can get them for $30.

The one I linked is active and works very well for my yamakasi ds270 and precision m4800 display port. You can get them for $30.

Missed it, but considering how iffy the Lenovo dock is and how iffy the adapters can be, getting a 27QW with DP is definitely smarter.

Does your DS270 use LED PWM Dimming? The 27QW series doesn't, can use the testufo test to check.

NCX and others - thanks very much for all your inputs.

I've pretty much settled on the Crossover 27QW.

Two last questions:

(1) Are there name brand monitors (AOC, BenQ, ...) that is comparable in text quality to the Crossover 27QW? Forget video, black levels, etc. I need fantastic text quality.

(2) I see that the Nixeus NX-VUE27D is going for $410 now; Crossover 27QW DP for $386How is the Nixeus?.

Thanks!

Missed it, but considering how iffy the Lenovo dock is and how iffy the adapters can be, getting a 27QW with DP is definitely smarter.

Does your DS270 use LED PWM Dimming? The 27QW series doesn't, can use the testufo test to check.

According to that test, no. I am usually pretty sensitive PWM and this monitor has been very nice for programming work. I do agree with your reviews that the AH-IPS panels are the best for text. I do have a BenQ bl2710pt coming in this Thursday from the last sale. I needed a second monitor and this seemed like a good deal for 375. My old Qnix 27" died after 1.5 years. That had the PLS display. Nice monitor but it suffered from some bad backlight bleed.

Last edited:
NCX and others - thanks very much for all your inputs.

I've pretty much settled on the Crossover 27QW.

Two last questions:

(1) Are there name brand monitors (AOC, BenQ, ...) that is comparable in text quality to the Crossover 27QW? Forget video, black levels, etc. I need fantastic text quality.

(2) I see that the Nixeus NX-VUE27D is going for $410 now; Crossover 27QW DP for $386How is the Nixeus?.

Thanks!

I have a new BenQ coming in this Thursday. I will post some side by side photos with my AH IPS ds270 (same panel in the crossover 27QW). I would be a little hesitant on a Crossover 27QW DP for that price. You will need to get a better stand (unless you already have one). You might also want to get a 3 year sqauretrade warranty. My Qnix just died and I am glad I had the squaretrade backup.

Thanks, I will wait for your review of the BenQ vs the DS270.

My hope is to make a purchase within the next month or so to replace my NEC 20WMGX2.
Paul

(2) I see that the Nixeus NX-VUE27D is going for $410 now; Crossover 27QW DP for $386How is the Nixeus?

1.) The Planar (480$) and iiyama previously mentioned use Plasma Deposition Coating but have a high minimum brightness while the 27QW series does not and offers the same performance. The Planars high minimum brightness won't matter if the monitor is placed in a very bright room.

2.) The Nixues uses PDC as well but lacks colour controls and these monitors tend to have a preset green tint which is less of a problem with the multi-input Crossover since it has colour controls and an HDMI 1.4a input which supports 1440p. The extra inputs may come in handy since DP is known to cause screen black out issues.

Staples no longer has them in stock.

If you look on ebay now, there is a seller selling them for 355 +9 dollars shipping. I just bought two of them tonight.

1 left.

Sorry to hijack, but the supposedly $350 Catleap everyone is linking seems to be $550...

PWM free is crucial for me, does anyone have the $350 link?

Well, after using my BenQ for a week, I like my yamakasi ds270 (same as crossover 27qw) much better. The only advantage the BenQ has is the multiple inputs. The image and text are much "crisper" on the Yamakasi - not even close.

Back