Robot Performs Brain Surgery Through The Cheek

HardOCP News

[H] News
Stories like this one only make my irrational fear of robots worse. :eek:

They decided it would be possible. Because the area of the brain involved is the hippocampus, which is located at the bottom of the brain, they could develop a robotic device that pokes through the cheek and enters the brain from underneath which avoids having to drill through the skull and is much closer to the target area.

This reminds me of Earth Final Conflict. (Pretty good show in the first season, went down hill badly in season 2, and descended directly into Corny SciFi Hell in the 5th season.) The lead character in the first season had something called a "CVI" or "Cyber Viral Implant" that was inserted through this mechanical thing that would come in under the jaw and into the brain for the implantation process. I always thought that part was pretty cool.

[quote="Amanda Bynes]
Told you they put a microchip in my head making me say things
[/quote]

*snickers*

That's nothing. Let's see it operate on the cheek through the brain.

Joking aside, this is actually a very good idea to make such surgeries less invasive.

In concept, this potential surgical technique has much in common with the transphenoidal approach already commonly used in pituitary surgeries (which is actually quite proximal to the hippocampus).

As someone who has personally been through a transphenoidal resect of a pituitary macroadenoma, it's an excellent technique but still not a lot of fun to recover from (i.e. they basically take your upper lips and pin them back as far as they will stretch, make an incision in the gum above the upper lip, then go through the nasal cavities and remove a section of bone to gain access to the pituitary). That said, it still beats the heck out of a transcranial route in which they have to cut through the back of your skull and then literally lift your brain up out of the way enough to get to the pituitary!

So, if they can do surgery on the hypothalmus through a similar method, I say major kudos to the surgical pioneers!

My first thought was "Which set of cheeks?"

Jim 'Wash Out' Pfaffenbach: Well, there's a delicate corneal inversion procedure... a multi-opti-pupil-optomy. But, in order to keep from damaging the eye sockets, they've got to go in through the rectum. Ain't no man going to take that route with me!

Robby%20the%20Robot%2040%205-28-12.jpg
I think the big fear when people hear about robotic surgery, is this guy.

Back